Game Day: Rockets (5-16) @ Suns (15-6), Fri 12/2/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: Game Day: Rockets (5-16) @ Suns (15-6), Fri 12/2/22

Post by djy2j »

Didn't watch this one as I had it DVR'd and accidently saw the score when I was out. Looks like free throw discrepancy was a factor again. Shocking. I don't miss watching when Ayton is having one of his malaise games. Hope were not burning other guys out.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Did they give any indication on the broadcast or anywhere on how long they expect Craig out? I figured not based on they way they are disclosing the CP injury, Craig could be out anywhere from a game to a career ending injury.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:58 am
Ayton...ZERO FTs..not one...ZERO...for $125 Million...ZERO...
James Jones says he doesn't care about Ayton's FT attempts. So why should I?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:36 am
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:58 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:30 pm
Here you give it to Ayton (2.7 seconds left):

Here you fake it to Booker and pass to Bridges or just lob it over Gordon to Bridges (still 2.1 seconds left):

Either way, you have a high-percentage shot at the rim.
There’s .4% probability of DA both NOT bobbling the ball away there AND going up with it instead of trying to pass it out. Remember DA had the O Board already once and chose to pass it out
You mean here? Surrounded by 3 Rockets players? That's where he would have turned it over--he made the right play passing it out.

As for the final shot, you're one of the ones who's been preaching that we need to put Ayton and Bridges through these situations in clutch time, instead of just relying on Book. And Booker's percentages on game-tying or game-winning shots has been terrible in recent seasons. How many has he made in the last 3 years? I'm sick of us relying on Booker for that final shot--I would much rather see what happens if we gave it to Ayton or Bridges near the rim.

There was plenty of time..Ayton could have at least looked like he was going to do something…If the double team stayed on him, then pass it to Booker who is wide open.

And Bridges did have a look right next to the basket and missed it. Also, the first shot attempt on this possession was Cam Payne. Booker is far and away the best player on the team and he’s going to be the one with the ball in his hands to finish games. You’re just going to have to accept that. No one else can be trusted. Ya it would be nice to get touches for other players, but not as the initiator. Booker will have the ball and he’s going to make the decision on who gets the ball based on what the defense does.

I don’t agree with saucy that we need to get Bridges/Ayton on ball reps in crunch time. They need to work on on ball reps during the first 45 minutes. I don’t mind them getting opportunities if that’s what the defense dictates…like in the Portland game when they doubled Book and he passed to Bridges who was then called for traveling. That’s where Bridges needs to get reps, as an outlet.

The truth is, you want Ayton to be featured like Shaq and anything less than that and you’ll complain. Booker just scored 92 points on 35/50 shooting in 2 games and you’re mad he took the last shot…like do you realize that’s crazy? Your Ayton fandom is blurring your Suns fandom. Whether Ayton succeeds is more important to you than whether the suns do.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Here you fake it to Booker and pass to Bridges or just lob it over Gordon to Bridges (still 2.1 seconds left):

There’s .4% probability of DA both NOT bobbling the ball away there AND going up with it instead of trying to pass it out. Remember DA had the O Board already once and chose to pass it out
You mean here? Surrounded by 3 Rockets players? That's where he would have turned it over--he made the right play passing it out.

EDIT: Also, notice in the screenshot Lee is telling him to go to Book and Book is calling for it.

As for the final shot, you're one of the ones who's been preaching that we need to put Ayton and Bridges through these situations in clutch time, instead of just relying on Book. And Booker's percentages on game-tying or game-winning shots has been terrible in recent seasons. How many has he made in the last 3 years? I'm sick of us relying on Booker for that final shot--I would much rather see what happens if we gave it to Ayton or Bridges near the rim.
He has two defenders right next to him in the first pic. Hell, the type of game he was having he probably would’ve lost the ball even without any defenders on him.

I’m all for DA getting the ball when he’s engaged. Last night he should have just stayed home and gotten even more high

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:44 am
JeremyG wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

There was plenty of time..Ayton could have at least looked like he was going to do something…If the double team stayed on him, then pass it to Booker who is wide open.

And Bridges did have a look right next to the basket and missed it. Also, the first shot attempt on this possession was Cam Payne. Booker is far and away the best player on the team and he’s going to be the one with the ball in his hands to finish games. You’re just going to have to accept that. No one else can be trusted. Ya it would be nice to get touches for other players, but not as the initiator. Booker will have the ball and he’s going to make the decision on who gets the ball based on what the defense does.

I don’t agree with saucy that we need to get Bridges/Ayton on ball reps in crunch time. They need to work on on ball reps during the first 45 minutes. I don’t mind them getting opportunities if that’s what the defense dictates…like in the Portland game when they doubled Book and he passed to Bridges who was then called for traveling. That’s where Bridges needs to get reps, as an outlet.

The truth is, you want Ayton to be featured like Shaq and anything less than that and you’ll complain. Booker just scored 92 points on 35/50 shooting in 2 games and you’re mad he took the last shot…like do you realize that’s crazy? Your Ayton fandom is blurring your Suns fandom. Whether Ayton succeeds is more important to you than whether the suns do.
Well, this is America and you have the right to disagree no matter how wrong you are :geek:

Split T

Post by Split T »

Haha, I mean I’d love if they got to the point that they were actual options, but they are so far away. Neither will ever be a primary ball handler and will never at anytime be asked to do stuff like that in the playoffs. I just don’t really see the point. We’re always going to go to Booker in big moments.

I do think they need to have more on ball reps during the flow of the game to give the defense different looks. But neither is anywhere close to being reliable in crunch time. I would love for them to get opportunities to attack 4 on 3 when the defense doubles Book though. Have them come set a screen for Book and Book to find them quickly if he’s doubled. That’s a realistic scenario for the playoffs.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:13 am
Kvetch all you want about the referees, but the Rockets played like they wanted it more.
Too many second-chance points by the Rockets, too many lazy passes by the Suns, too many lost 50-50 balls.
Houston simply outworked Phoenix.
Yep. It's just a real drag to be ahead the entire game only to lose at the end. As bad as we feel about it, the players feel even worse. Oh, well. It will keep them hungry and not too full of themselves.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

EDIT: Also, notice in the screenshot Lee is telling him to go to Book and Book is calling for it.

Thanks for posting that picture. It's obvious now he should have passed to the wide-open Booker. Booker would have had more time and then no way he misses that.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

That's what you got from me pointing out that Booker never makes the game-tying or game-winning shots?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:22 pm
JeremyG wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Thanks for posting that picture. It's obvious now he should have passed to the wide-open Booker. Booker would have had more time and then no way he misses that.
Huh? He did pass it to him, as fast as he could secure the board and turn around. What's the problem?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:56 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:22 pm
JeremyG wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Huh? He did pass it to him, as fast as he could secure the board and turn around. What's the problem?
My bad. I thought that was the end of the final play. I just remembered that Lee threw it to Book for the final attempt. But Lee got it from the Rocket player saving it from going out of bounds.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:55 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

That's what you got from me pointing out that Booker never makes the game-tying or game-winning shots?
No it’s what I got from the stance you take on pretty much every post on this board

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:06 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:55 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

No it’s what I got from the stance you take on pretty much every post on this board
“Hey Damion - you can pass to the guy who is shooting 700% in the last 3 games and is wide open from his sweet spot or pass to the guy who is afraid to shoot late in games and has 3 defenders around him because he needs ‘late game reps.’ You have .2 seconds to decide.

I can’t believe you made that choice.”

Even Deandre Ayton doesn’t think this highly of Deandre Ayton.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

pickle wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:47 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:11 pm
The Rockets? One of the BEST YOUNG UP-AND-COMING TEAMS in the league. Green? Future HoFer. Porter Jr? All-Star. Stephen Silas? One of the best young coaches in the league. Boban? People's Sexiest Man Alive. This team is a JUGGERNAUT.

Suns have NO CHANCE to win this game. Chalk this one up as a big fat L.
You missed Inf’s favorite and that other number three overall pick kid. They are as formidable as they come and we will lose to them like we lost to the lowly magic without Banchero.
Sengun is nice too. I loved this play:

Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:32 pm
I don’t think Dario is an nba player anymore
He had some good moments in the game, especially some defensive stands that caught me by surprise to be honest, but ultimately, it wasn't a good showing.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:48 pm
The refs are calling too many fouls, but we are also just fouling way too much right now
Thank you. The Suns committed a lot of dumb fouls in this game. The refs gave some ticky tack stuff to the Rockets, but the Rockets also use their athleticism to attack the paint. The Suns don't do that. The Suns hunt for mid-range shots, and even when they take it to the basket, they seem to avoid contact. That's why they end up with these free throw disparities.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:33 pm
So frustrating that Lee refused to give Ayton the ball for the game-winning shot, when he was calling for it right in front of the basket.
:roll:

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:24 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:58 am
Ayton...ZERO FTs..not one...ZERO...for $125 Million...ZERO...
James Jones says he doesn't care about Ayton's FT attempts. So why should I?
:roll:

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Btw, I do not enjoy Ryan Hollins's color commentary.