Suns Draft Day 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Suns Draft Day 2014

Post by AmareIsGod »

Tony Buckets. All day.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

AmareIsGod wrote:Tony Buckets. All day.
Hornacek described TJ's offense as a collection of "Tough Buckets." I wonder if that could stick. Tony Buckets rolls off the tongue a little easier..

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I still have the concerns referenced in that article. I see Warren do what he did in the summer league and think, "that's impressive, but I can't see that translating to the regular season." The 29-pointer was unguardable in the summer league last year, but really couldn't contribute in the regular season, until the last game, where admittedly he did have the best 29-point game in the history of mankind (btw, he seems to have regresed some, or at least not improved much, which is somewhat surprising).

Still, I'm optimistic. I liked Warren in college, and he was definitely one of the prospects I wanted the Suns to consider.

The other reaction that I have to that article is that while it certainly would be beneficial for Warren to improve on his perimeter shot, if he can score around the paint and at the rim like he has shown, he's going to have value. I get the analytics angle the author discusses, and the increasing value of long-ball makers, but if you can put the ball in the basket from anywhere at 50% clip and do so to the tune of 20 ppg (and Warren has that potential), then you're going to have considerable value, regardless of where those points/buckets are coming from. Let's not overcomplicate things.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Buckets are buckets. If Warren is authomatic from a given range you exploit it as much as you can. That's the main reason why I want to see him spend time at PF. If he is not a 3pt shooter and is not too explosive, just let him play outside-inside against slower feet, closer to the rim and don't worry too much about 2pt vs 3pt. He should benefit from the double screen system a lot as the receptor off cuts, which is probably where he can take full advantage of that floater and the rest of his tricks in motion.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It seems to me that if defenses focus on three point shots and point blank shots that there should be some value in the mid-range game. I think this next Suns team is going to keep teams on their toes.
"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Xylus wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:Tony Buckets. All day.
Hornacek described TJ's offense as a collection of "Tough Buckets." I wonder if that could stick. Tony Buckets rolls off the tongue a little easier..
Just shorten it. TBucket.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

You all sound like you just graduated from the Leander School of Cornballs with these nicknames.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:It seems to me that if defenses focus on three point shots and point blank shots that there should be some value in the mid-range game. I think this next Suns team is going to keep teams on their toes.
It might be more valuable for Eric and Goran to improve their three point shooting along with Keef, leaving the in-between area for TJ to roam and the rim for Plumlee and Len. Of course, driving to the rim for Goran and Eric is still a good thing.

It will be interesting to see how Jeff melds these skills together.

What TJ really needs to improve (along with Keef) is rebounding. TJ is an excellent offensive rebounder (watch the tape, he is an assassin on the o-boards) but his defensive rebounding is not as good as it should be.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

but his defensive rebounding is not as good as it should be.[/quote]

Well yeah he is a Phoenix Sun after all