Suns Draft Day 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns Draft Day 2014

Post by Superbone »

Ennis seems like a really smart kid:

http://www.nba.com/suns/video/2014/06/2 ... km-3312438
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Am I the only who feels like we killed it?
Nope. I was just watching NBA TV's draft review and Stu Jackson listed us in a group of four teams who he thought had the best draft: Boston, Charlotte, Denver, and Phoenix.

Nice. Cant wait for SL.
I can see the SL team already:

PG - Tyler Ennis
SG - Archie Goodwin
SF - T.J. Warren
PF - Alec Brown
C - Alex Len

Could be scary good this time around.....
That could easily win the VSL, I think Warren and Goodwin are gonna be nightmares.

We're gonna have some good scrimmages this year.
What about Plumlee? You think he'll play on the SL team or will the Suns give him a break?
"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Superbone wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote: Nice. Cant wait for SL.

PG - Tyler Ennis
SG - Archie Goodwin
SF - T.J. Warren
PF - Alec Brown
C - Alex Len

That could easily win the VSL, I think Warren and Goodwin are gonna be nightmares.

We're gonna have some good scrimmages this year.
What about Plumlee? You think he'll play on the SL team or will the Suns give him a break?
I think Plumlee's earned a break, but he might be there - late in the season, P.J. Tucker said he'd play in SL, but who knows if he'll be here?

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Holy shit - maybe the fact that Bogdanovich'll scare the shit out of people will be a factor in itself :

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

SF4L and company? :

SDC

Post by SDC »

SwingMan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Am I the only who feels like we killed it?
Nope. I was just watching NBA TV's draft review and Stu Jackson listed us in a group of four teams who he thought had the best draft: Boston, Charlotte, Denver, and Phoenix.

Nice. Cant wait for SL.

PG - Tyler Ennis
SG - Archie Goodwin
SF - T.J. Warren
PF - Alec Brown
C - Alex Len

i feel sorry for alex len.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:Ennis seems like a really smart kid:

kendall marshall seemed like a smart kid too.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Overall, solid draft. We added skilled guys at their positions, added depth in case we lose guys to free agency and didn't seem to whiff on anyone. I don't think we hit any homeruns but aside from some kind of blockbuster trade, there weren't any homeruns to be hit.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:Overall, solid draft. We added skilled guys at their positions, added depth in case we lose guys to free agency and didn't seem to whiff on anyone. I don't think we hit any homeruns but aside from some kind of blockbuster trade, there weren't any homeruns to be hit.
I agree. I'm somewhat torn. I think I would have liked to have given Denver the deal that Chicago did to get McDermott. When Ryan said there was a chance to move up but not far, I'm positive that we had discussed this deal with Denver. If Stauskas was there? Maybe we do the move. Maybe they weren't as high on McBuckets.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm not even as high on either of those guys so I'm cool with Warren.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

SDC wrote:
Superbone wrote:Ennis seems like a really smart kid:

kendall marshall seemed like a smart kid too.
So, what kind of dope have you got on Ennis then?

carey

Post by carey »

Ryan & Jeff talk about their draft picks: http://www.nba.com/suns/video/2014/06/2 ... v-3312558/
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
ShelC wrote:Overall, solid draft. We added skilled guys at their positions, added depth in case we lose guys to free agency and didn't seem to whiff on anyone. I don't think we hit any homeruns but aside from some kind of blockbuster trade, there weren't any homeruns to be hit.
I agree. I'm somewhat torn. I think I would have liked to have given Denver the deal that Chicago did to get McDermott. When Ryan said there was a chance to move up but not far, I'm positive that we had discussed this deal with Denver. If Stauskas was there? Maybe we do the move. Maybe they weren't as high on McBuckets.
You could make the case that said trade could have landed us LaVine. If you were dying to get him I guess you could feel disappointed.

Personally, I would have pulled the trigger for Stauskas, but not for LaVine or McDermott. Moot point in my case as Stauskas went just too high. I remember something similar when the Bulls traded up for Thabo Sefolosha. Sometimes you just can't get your guy with what you have.

TJ Warren is not just a consolation price to me. I actually wanted him, at #18 if possible, but once the other two guards were gone I wouldn't have gambled missing on him too, so I am happy he was selected with our first pick.

After #17 there wasn't a ton left. Harris, Anderson, Hood and Capela. Probably that's it, unless hindsight goes out of hand. I can't say I would have picked Ennis ahead of any of them, but that's mainly because I didn't have my mind set on point guards other than Exum-Smart. At some point Ennis was also projected as a lottery pick so I wouldn't say it was a major reach, and he could very well be BPA in the FO's eyes. In any case he is a nice insurance for Bledsoe, and at the very least there's room for him as third PG anyway.

After #26 there were bubble guys like Grant, McDaniel, Stokes or Early. Also Kyle Anderson who fell hard, but I guess that's the only guy that has a solid case against McD considering how things played out. Unlike others I wasn't in love with Kyle, so this doesn't irk me. Bodganovic is no slouch either and serves the purpose of draft and stash.

Overall I am satisfied. Maybe today Warren-Ennis-Bodgan doesn't look like an outstanding draft but in my opinion there was not a whole lot more to do, or to be more accurate, to reasonably expect.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I just don't get the feeling like we really missed out on anyone. It's not like 2012 when we took Marshall and guys like Henson, Harkless or Terrence Jones were there.

This draft was more top heavy, with some solid role players sprinkled the rest of the way. I won't say I'm underwhelmed like when we took Marshall or Kieff, but satisfied.

SDC

Post by SDC »

hope warren is not chris douglas roberts.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

CDR is nice.

"Ryan Wolstat: Some info from a North American source: Utah and Phoenix were hot after Caboclo, would have taken him if on the board with next picks"

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm satisfied with our draft but it feels to me like we drafted these guys as leverage in contact negotiations with Bledsoe and Tucker, or insurance in case they leave. Not sure we really got BPA.

carey

Post by carey »

I'm kind of holding off until I see Warren in action. He seems like he could either be the next Marion or the next Ceballos. Obviously I'd rather the former. #14 is a bit high for a guy that's just going to be a garbage buckets guy all his career. The big question regarding the draft is what are we doing with Bledsoe?

I do like Eric. I'm just not totally enamored with him. We were much better when he played w/ Goran obviously, but I'm not sold on the fact that we couldn't be as good w/ someone else. I don't like the thought of him making almost double what Goran makes either. Truth is though, we have a serious hole to fill if we let him go and not a whole lot of options to choose from.

What would our roster look right now without him?

Ennis
Goran/Green/Goodwin
Warren/Marcus
Kieff
Plumlee/Len

With Bledsoe, Frye, and Tucker not under contract we have some serious decisions to make. And also we're suddenly very thin at Power Forward. Especially if we continue to do that lineup where Kieff slides over to C and Marcus to PF. We need to add like 6 new guys if we don't retain any of our FAs, which is why I don't understand why McDo was so hesitant on adding all 3 rookies. There's plenty room for them.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:I'm kind of holding off until I see Warren in action. He seems like he could either be the next Marion or the next Ceballos.
[youtube]N-ol592vPgw[/youtube]

Watch this game for instance. It doesn't take long to see what he can do on both sides of the court (nothing like Marion).

As a potent scorer he can be lazy on D sometimes (first play, for example) but when he is into it he can defend. And his movement without the ball is indeed superb at times. Look his lenght at play on both sides of the court from 7:45 to 8:07. He is extremely comfortable puting the ball on the floor. Usually the first one to run for the fastbreak. Needs to more active on the defensive glass but unless you are Shawn Marion you are not getting the rebound and finishing first the transition.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:I'm kind of holding off until I see Warren in action. He seems like he could either be the next Marion or the next Ceballos. Obviously I'd rather the former. #14 is a bit high for a guy that's just going to be a garbage buckets guy all his career. The big question regarding the draft is what are we doing with Bledsoe?

I do like Eric. I'm just not totally enamored with him. We were much better when he played w/ Goran obviously, but I'm not sold on the fact that we couldn't be as good w/ someone else. I don't like the thought of him making almost double what Goran makes either. Truth is though, we have a serious hole to fill if we let him go and not a whole lot of options to choose from.

What would our roster look right now without him?

Ennis
Goran/Green/Goodwin
Warren/Marcus
Kieff
Plumlee/Len

With Bledsoe, Frye, and Tucker not under contract we have some serious decisions to make. And also we're suddenly very thin at Power Forward. Especially if we continue to do that lineup where Kieff slides over to C and Marcus to PF. We need to add like 6 new guys if we don't retain any of our FAs, which is why I don't understand why McDo was so hesitant on adding all 3 rookies. There's plenty room for them.
First off, have you seen Ceballos early on in his career - talking before we traded him to the Lakers for the pick that turned out to be Michael Finley? ;)

You all know well my take on Frye - save P.J. & Bledsoe, let Frye fly.

From the vibe I got from McDonough/Hornacek on the whole "improve internally" statement from last month, I honestly think Hornacek's envisioning Markieff as starting 4 with Marcus backing him, so I think the depth chart would look like:

PG - Bledsoe/Ennis
SG- Dragic/Green/Goodwin
SF - P.J./Warren (could flip-flop as the season goes on)
PF - Markieff/Marcus
C - Plumlee/Len

.....with more depth coming from the likes of Josh McRoberts and minimum filler.....