SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Post by Shabazz »

I still don't understand, but whatever.

Hayward was planning a free agent visit here after his visit to Charlotte. Charlotte (unlike Cleveland before them) offered him a max contract so he accepted it and cancelled his visit to Phoenix. That's all Rick Bonnell was reporting.

Was he not supposed to report that or was Hayward supposed to still come to Phoenix despite committing to Charlotte?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Just speculating here, but maybe Hayward went to Charlotte, found he would really fit in well with the rest of the team there. They offered him the max, which Utah can still match, you can't get better money anywhere. So, Charlotte tells him that if he goes to Phoenix, the offer is off the table. Why wouldn't he do it?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:Just speculating here, but maybe Hayward went to Charlotte, found he would really fit in well with the rest of the team there. They offered him the max, which Utah can still match, you can't get better money anywhere. So, Charlotte tells him that if he goes to Phoenix, the offer is off the table. Why wouldn't he do it?
This is more than likely what happened. Also, if Utah is going to match, does it really matter which team he signs an offer sheet with?

No reason for Suns fans to feel slighted over this.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Ha! The gift of hindsight.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

So on to Chandler Parsons then?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Wally_West wrote:So on to Chandler Parsons then?
Doubt it.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Wally_West wrote:So on to Chandler Parsons then?
Maybe - definitely need another 4 incase Brown proves not ready, although Frye's timid play said the same through most of his stint here. ;)

TOO

Post by TOO »

If we sign Parsons to be a 4, we're definitely doing it wrong. :lol:

carey

Post by carey »

I think Parsons could log minutes as a stretch 4 he just can't defend legitimate PFs for shit.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
SDC wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Oh, and please just don't go after Deng. Pau still makes sense for this roster but spending on those two means not more cap space and it's far from a given that they can live up to the length of their contracts, unless it is two years.

SF and a (two way) big man are our most glaring weaknesses but Deng-Pau won't elevate the team more than to make us a lock for the playoffs, at best. I want to make that progress but this just doesn't feel like a sustainable way to achieve it. If that's the best they can fo in free agency I'd explore trading for players under contract on capped out/rebuilding teams. And if they absolutely must use the cap space on a FA, just overpay for a younger RFA who at least have the best years of his career ahead of him.
I don't think Deng or Gasol are good fits on this roster at this time, especially for what they'll be asking ($s and length of contract)
gasol would have been a good fit, assuming the suns kept everybody together. now that frye's gone, a key player in the suns surprise run last season, pau doesnt make sense anymore. idiot mcdo is too slow to sign pau to a one year deal. it might have convinced frye to stay with the suns if the suns were trying to get better.
Seriously? You are calling McDonough an idiot? I may be the only one here that feels this way, but your hate for McDonough is just silly and unfounded. You are only just guessing that the Lakers only wanted the Pacers pick for Pau, yet you love him like he was... your lover. You haven't come up with a single plan that I remember that was better, even with the gift of hindsight, than what McDonough has done.
Are you kidding me?! I think most of us feel that way.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

#mcdout

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
SDC wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Oh, and please just don't go after Deng. Pau still makes sense for this roster but spending on those two means not more cap space and it's far from a given that they can live up to the length of their contracts, unless it is two years.

SF and a (two way) big man are our most glaring weaknesses but Deng-Pau won't elevate the team more than to make us a lock for the playoffs, at best. I want to make that progress but this just doesn't feel like a sustainable way to achieve it. If that's the best they can fo in free agency I'd explore trading for players under contract on capped out/rebuilding teams. And if they absolutely must use the cap space on a FA, just overpay for a younger RFA who at least have the best years of his career ahead of him.
I don't think Deng or Gasol are good fits on this roster at this time, especially for what they'll be asking ($s and length of contract)
gasol would have been a good fit, assuming the suns kept everybody together. now that frye's gone, a key player in the suns surprise run last season, pau doesnt make sense anymore. idiot mcdo is too slow to sign pau to a one year deal. it might have convinced frye to stay with the suns if the suns were trying to get better.
Seriously? You are calling McDonough an idiot? I may be the only one here that feels this way, but your hate for McDonough is just silly and unfounded. You are only just guessing that the Lakers only wanted the Pacers pick for Pau, yet you love him like he was... your lover. You haven't come up with a single plan that I remember that was better, even with the gift of hindsight, than what McDonough has done.
Sorry but LANCE BLANKS> McDoubt everyday of the week!

carey

Post by carey »

Some good news for Swingy.

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/486973078174314496

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:Some good news for Swingy.

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/486973078174314496

But I'm a lone nut - that means P.J. Tucker needs gone in a bad way.....

carey

Post by carey »

SwingMan wrote:
Gonna get some mileage out of that one, huh? :p
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
Gonna get some mileage out of that one, huh? :p
Why not? It's already down there - might as well not let it turn into roadkill. ;)

What's your take on Tucker, anyways?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
SDC wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

Haha, I didn't want to speak for everyone.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Tucker is the guts of our team. I want him back.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

With Frye gone, I think that's a really good idea. He might not be the most talented player at his position, but he offers so much more than just production on the court and he keeps working on his game and offers a toughness and grit that's contagious all the way down the line in the roster.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I think we should resign Tucker, match Bledsoe, and offer Monroe a contract. I think if we frame the contract right the Pistons will let him go, that'd be too much money tied up on their frontcourt.