Suns News: Week 16 (1/30 - 2/5)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
LazarusLong

Re: Suns News: Week 16 (1/30 - 2/5)

Post by LazarusLong »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 pm
This reminds me. Okogie drives me crazy sometimes with his constant fakes and unwillingness to shoot the damn ball! Just let it fly, dude. He was surprising me with his 3 point makes a couple weeks ago but lately he seems to have a fear of shooting the ball. He is pretty good at drawing fouls when he takes it to the hoop though.
The mask he's wearing has definitely impacted his game.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:43 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 pm
This reminds me. Okogie drives me crazy sometimes with his constant fakes and unwillingness to shoot the damn ball! Just let it fly, dude. He was surprising me with his 3 point makes a couple weeks ago but lately he seems to have a fear of shooting the ball. He is pretty good at drawing fouls when he takes it to the hoop though.
The mask he's wearing has definitely impacted his game.
Maybe. His first game back with the mask was amazing.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:30 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:55 pm
TOO wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:00 pm

Welp, we're screwed.
Not sure why Sam Cooper cut his response off. The second half of it was much better:
Of power forwards, he says all 30 teams want a good power forward and there aren’t that many around. Jones says that’s why someone like Jerami Grant can go from not being wanted as a starter by anybody four years ago, having to go to the Pistons to get his money, will now be worth $30 million a year this summer.

What Jones wants is a guy who can get his shot no matter the situation, no matter who’s defending them, no matter how high-leverage the situation is.

Jones even praised inefficient scorers, saying they can get a bad rep but that they’re often inefficient because they’re willing to take the toughest shots. He wants to add someone willing to take tough shots.
https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2023 ... s-shooting
Makes sense. I guess I haven’t framed it as shooting. When I hear shooting I think of JJ as a player. We’ve known what we need is a guy who scores, creates for himself. To that end I’m glad he affirms what went missing last postseason. But we don’t need another Cam Payne or Shamet. We need someone who walks into the gym and hangs 15-20.
What's available though for bench flame throwers? Clarkson? Hyland?
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

TOO

Post by TOO »

It also makes me think he's gonna move for Grant in the off-season. :? Would they trade Ayton for Grant and resign him?

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

TOO wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:52 pm
It also makes me think he's gonna move for Grant in the off-season. :? Would they trade Ayton for Grant and resign him?
I’m terrible at guessing these things. Who knows at this point. So much calculus now with Ishbia coming on board. Nobody wants Crowder with anything we want and anyone willing to trade with us wants picks over salary dumps.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

a. Trading Ayton for anyone other than Sikam is a tear down and start over move, as the team has yet more holes.
b. Trading for another SF / Wing? (OG) Why? We don't suck there.
c. A breakout backup PG and an upgrade at PF are our known issues. None of the drivel getting spouted addresses EITHER of those. WTF?

VT

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:48 pm
a. Trading Ayton for anyone other than Sikam is a tear down and start over move, as the team has yet more holes.
c. A breakout backup PG and an upgrade at PF are our known issues. None of the drivel getting spouted addresses EITHER of those. WTF?

VT
If you can get OG without losing Ayton, Bridges, and Book you do it. OG is a top defender with ceiling to get better offensively. Missing out would be a mistake. He is a bigger and better defender than Crowder and could play the 4.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:58 pm
If you can get OG without losing Ayton, Bridges, and Book you do it.
Well, maybe, but it depends on what draft assets you are sending out. I'm not a fan of trading, say, three 1sts plus CamJ plus other salary just for OG.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sam Vecenie on OG

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

There sure has been a lot of OG smoke lately.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:06 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:58 pm
If you can get OG without losing Ayton, Bridges, and Book you do it.
Well, maybe, but it depends on what draft assets you are sending out. I'm not a fan of trading, say, three 1sts plus CamJ plus other salary just for OG.
I agree with that as well. I have a feeling Ishbia has a better sense of using the draft more wise than we have in the past and probably differs from JJ philophically. I think GSW and Boston have shown you can build through drafting well in addition to making smart moves.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

VT
Agree on all 3 counts especially (a). The board has many bouts of irrationality and Ayton frustration at not being able to make the leap turning into Ayton hate is one of them.

TOO

Post by TOO »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:27 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

VT
Agree on all 3 counts especially (a). The board has many bouts of irrationality and Ayton frustration at not being able to make the leap turning into Ayton hate is one of them.
Don't hate him so much as I think he's just a waste of money now. He's a very overpaid role player.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:21 pm
Sam Vecenie on OG

Vecenie is way too high on him.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:03 pm
Split T wrote:
Sam Vecenie on OG

Yes.

For the cost.of doing business and then having pay him more than Bridges, absolutely not interested in that.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think we're at the point where Bridges contract is not a fair place marker. He's already met the production and development level to merit the contract value, and we're approaching it being on the best value contracts in the league.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Based on my experience, I'm pretty sure Booker is referring to shooting on double rims.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This is a great lengthy thread to go through. I'll caution against assuming everything will click into place when Booker returns. It'll take some time to reintegrate, and I won't be surprised when Mikal has a stretch of quiet games offensively. At least we've seen Mikal do this stuff fairly consistently now so we have a vision of the ceiling with the best lineup.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:03 pm
Split T wrote:
Sam Vecenie on OG

If you can get OG for expirings plus 3 late first round picks, you have to do that. Odds of you getting a top 10 NBA defender who can guard 4-5 positions who also shoots very well from three with one of those picks in the 20-30 range is low. He'd represents a better long term solution (OG is only 25) at PF than Cam Johnson, who isn't nearly the defender. In terms of defensive RPM, OG is on a par with Mikal. His stock is a little low due to injuries the past couple seasons, but buy low, right?

TOO

Post by TOO »

I don't think blowing all your draft assets is buying low, just my opinion of course.