Around the League: Week 16 (1/30 - 2/5)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Around the League: Week 16 (1/30 - 2/5)

Post by Wally_West »

Yeah sure bro

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:29 pm
The Nets have demonstrated they aren't willing to just give KD away for another team's mediocre assets.
Also, the Nets don't have their own picks. So there is no incentive to tear it down. And if they make another team a contender by trading KD to him, that just means the picks Brooklyn gets from the trade will be in the late 20's most likely.

So there isn't much upside for Brooklyn in moving KD unless a team offers them a star, like when San Antonio traded Kawhi for DeRozan.

So maybe Chicago (Zach LaVine), Minnesota (KAT), or Atlanta (Young) may be able to interest them in a deal. GS could offer Poole/Wiseman/Kuminga/Moody, but that is putting a lot of confidence in Curry and Klay to stay healthy.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:29 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:26 pm
I think the Mavs are in the driver seat with Kyrie contract negotiations. They can offer him the most money and of the teams with money this offseason, I’m really not sure if any of them want to fuck with Kyrie with what he’ll be wanting.
Don't underestimate ego. These guys like to pick where they play. Kyrie didn't pick Dallas.
But if Kyrie was so particular about where he landed, I don't think he would have brought up being traded in the first place. And come the offseason, what other teams would even have cap space to sign Kyrie and actually want to sign him?

Split T

Post by Split T »

They could also probably sign and trade him to LA for whatever the Lakers were offering before to replace what they gave up if it doesn’t work out.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:46 pm
If you are going to trade Kyrie for inferior talent, just blow it up and get a handful of great picks, like maybe those two Laker 1sts or whatever else was on offer.
Who is offering "great picks" for Kyrie Irving?! The Lakers were offering picks in 2027 and 2029.

And you talk about KD being mad? How do you think he would feel about teaming up with Russell Westbrook again?!
Mori Chu wrote:
If I were him I'd be in "f--- this sh-t" mode and demand to be traded ASAP.
But you're not him. People seem to be forgetting the interview KD did with Chris Haynes after he rescinded his trade request. He didn't rescind it because he all of a sudden believed the Nets were contenders.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:42 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
If you are going to trade Kyrie for inferior talent, just blow it up and get a handful of great picks, like maybe those two Laker 1sts or whatever else was on offer.
Who is offering "great picks" for Kyrie Irving?! The Lakers were offering picks in 2027 and 2029.

And you talk about KD being mad? How do you think he would feel about teaming up with Russell Westbrook again?!
Mori Chu wrote:
If I were him I'd be in "f--- this sh-t" mode and demand to be traded ASAP.
But you're not him. People seem to be forgetting the interview KD did with Chris Haynes after he rescinded his trade request. He didn't rescind it because he all of a sudden believed the Nets were contenders.
The Nets don’t re-tool with win-now low ceiling players like Dinwiddie and DFS if KD isn’t on board with it. The haul only makes sense if they got an assurance from KD he wouldn’t want out. If KD wanted out too, they would’ve made more sense to aim to acquire more picks/younger pieces

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:41 pm

Yeah sure bro
Jerked himself off too many times

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:51 pm
The Nets don’t re-tool with win-now low ceiling players like Dinwiddie and DFS if KD isn’t on board with it. The haul only makes sense if they got an assurance from KD he wouldn’t want out. If KD wanted out too, they would’ve made more sense to aim to acquire more picks/younger pieces
I doubt KD gave any assurance, and I am not even sure Brooklyn tried to get one. KD already tried to force his way out once. Unless he is willing to just sit out, there isn't much leverage there for him.

I don't see a team offering young players and picks for Kyrie Irving, especially with him entering free agency this summer. Only teams trying to contend would have been interested in Kyrie, and most of those teams are either set at the point, don't have picks to trade, or just don't want to deal with the Kyrie headache.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

FVV to Brooklyn makes a lot of sense right now.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:11 pm

I'd rather just roll with Dinwiddie.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:37 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:29 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:26 pm
I think the Mavs are in the driver seat with Kyrie contract negotiations. They can offer him the most money and of the teams with money this offseason, I’m really not sure if any of them want to fuck with Kyrie with what he’ll be wanting.
Don't underestimate ego. These guys like to pick where they play. Kyrie didn't pick Dallas.
But if Kyrie was so particular about where he landed, I don't think he would have brought up being traded in the first place. And come the offseason, what other teams would even have cap space to sign Kyrie and actually want to sign him?
He did have Dallas on his list, so that's fair. Maybe there's a stronger connection to Nico Harrison and their staff than I realized.

The Lakers will have the cap space to sign him.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

TOO wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:19 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
[tweet]
Not if it's going to make or break your future with KD. And I think they could keep Dinwiddie.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:20 pm
The Lakers will have the cap space to sign him.
I had heard they won't have supermax room. I'll check the numbers.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:21 pm
TOO wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:19 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
[tweet]
Not if it's going to make or break your future with KD. And I think they could keep Dinwiddie.
I really don't see FVV being some sort of needle mover that would make KD stay or go. Will be an interesting next few days.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Looks like they may have $40ish million, depending on what they'll do with Hachimura's contract. So they probably won't be able to offer him top dollar, but they can offer something comparable.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The problem will be filling out the entire rest of the roster.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This piece covers a lot of my initial thoughts from the Mavs perspective.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Yeah, I don't think Kyrie can be trusted, but I don't see how Dallas "risked it all."