Game Day: Suns (29-26) @ Nets (32-21), Tues 2/7/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Kryptonic

Re: Game Day: Suns (29-26) @ Nets (32-21), Tues 2/7/23

Post by Kryptonic »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:54 am
Ha I was waiting for more postgame videos and quotes but that's all so far. I'll add more if they get posted.

Same takeaways as some others said...Game was closer than we would've liked, a little choppy and lot of runs for both teams but it never felt like the Nets were a real threat. Book looked a little rusty which was to be expected but it's great to see him and the rest of the starters out there. CamJ looks a little hesitant at times and we need to get everyone going at the same time instead of it being Book's turn, then Mikal's turn, then DA's turn. Just seems very formulaic each game.

Glad we're winning games again and have put the tank talk to rest. I think this is almost a training camp/preseason period for us where we really get back on track in the next 2-3 weeks and hopefully hit our stride by the end of the year instead of peaking in December.
I felt like they’re playing the long game like the warriors did last year…. saving their legs and not pushing the starters too hard. The good thing is, we’re seeing everyone stepping up to their new rolls as the seasons progressed.

If there’s one thing that’s been a pleasant surprise…. Our bench has been better than I anticipated and all these extra minutes they’ve got to play will better prepare them for the post season.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

And yet everybody wants DA to wear himself out playing like he did last night every game. If he used that much energy every game he would be worn out for the playoffs. I would rather he stay fresh for when the games matter.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:08 am

Postgame quotes and videos
Spoiler: show/hide

Start the rumors, DA is being traded to Milwaukee. Monty called him "young Buck." :P

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:58 am
And yet everybody wants DA to wear himself out playing like he did last night every game. If he used that much energy every game he would be worn out for the playoffs. I would rather he stay fresh for when the games matter.
So you're OK when DA loafs around and costs the team games, got.it.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

TOO wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:03 am
JeremyG wrote:
So you're OK when DA loafs around and costs the team games, got.it.
Exactly.
Pacing is a part of the game. Being unplugged is different. Not everyone can be Booker or Bridges. But his effort and focus can be much better. There are internal strategies that athletes learn to do this. He is a millionaire with access to the best training and support in the world for athletes. Yeah it’s his job to learn to be effective.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Wtf

No favors JG

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

So you want him to play 36 lazy minutes lmao

Another thread hijacked

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
He doesn't have to do that every night. Just be solid.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:36 am
So you want him to play 36 lazy minutes lmao

Another thread hijacked
It might be the most ridiculous thing he's ever posted.

You want Ayton to try, like ALL THE TIME?! We Suns fans are animals.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:37 pm
Nothing is going to wash the taste of the Isiah Thomas out of my mouth. :(
I feel like we need to talk about this post a little more.

/s, I changed carey's quote

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

JeremyG wrote:
HE'S 24 YEARS OLD, NOT 37!!!! YES, EMPHATICALLY, YES!!!!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, guys. Quit asking DA to "wear himself out." Jeremy is right that it's weird that we all want that and that we keep saying that is what we want.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Good grief. You all take everything I say to such extremes. :roll:

I'm referring to all the comments on here and Twitter of people saying, "He should be doing this every night." There's not a single player in the NBA who can play like that every night (he's the only one to even do it twice in a row with that shooting efficiency in the last 30 years), or even bring that type of energy every single night. Or if they can, there is no player who is doing it.

And then some say, "Well, we don't expect him to shoot that well every game." And yet people literally complain if he doesn't have one of his best games every game. Even his 19 & 20 got massive criticism. Nobody, even if they have his physical attributes, gets 20 rebounds without bringing energy, effort, and engagement. Or else he would be averaging 20 rebounds accidentally every game.

But no, of course I'm not telling him to be lazy or unengaged in the regular season. Good grief. I'm talking about pacing yourself for the playoffs. :roll:

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:50 am
Yeah, guys. Quit asking DA to "wear himself out." Jeremy is right that it's weird that we all want that and that we keep saying that is what we want.
Wilt managed to score 50 points a game AND have a pretty active nocturnal life at 25, so I wouldn't be too worried about him getting worn out by playing basketball and some video games.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I'm talking about playoff-level energy, which he was at least close to last night on both ends of the floor. Nobody does that for 82 games. No matter what age they are, they would not have enough left in the tank for the playoffs. (And I'm not talking about CP3-level "worn down," either. But we should want every player to take it up a notch in the postseason, not have any sort of drop-off.)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:31 pm
Good grief. You all take everything I say to such extremes. :roll:

I'm referring to all the comments on here and Twitter of people saying, "He should be doing this every night." There's not a single player in the NBA who can play like that every night (he's the only one to even do it twice in a row with that shooting efficiency in the last 30 years), or even bring that type of energy every single night. Or if they can, there is no player who is doing it.

And then some say, "Well, we don't expect him to shoot that well every game." And yet people literally complain if he doesn't have one of his best games every game. Even his 19 & 20 got massive criticism. Nobody, even if they have his physical attributes, gets 20 rebounds without bringing energy, effort, and engagement. Or else he would be averaging 20 rebounds accidentally every game.

But no, of course I'm not telling him to be lazy or unengaged in the regular season. Good grief. I'm talking about pacing yourself for the playoffs. :roll:
There are plenty. They’re called “max players”

Just take your licks on this one and move on

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:24 am
carey wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:37 pm
Nothing is going to wash the taste of the Isiah Thomas out of my mouth. :(
I feel like we need to talk about this post a little more.

/s, I changed carey's quote
Talk about Dane Cooking me damn. Get your own immature joke!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This is what was talked about in another thread. It comes across like you're looking for an argument when you say that he shouldn't play his hardest every night because all any fan really wants is for the guys on their team to play their ass off every night.

Most people are relentlessly praising him and not posting every fake trade they can muster right now. Stop poking the bear. Enjoy it.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:11 pm
I'm talking about playoff-level energy, which he was at least close to last night on both ends of the floor. Nobody does that for 82 games. No matter what age they are, they would not have enough left in the tank for the playoffs. (And I'm not talking about CP3-level "worn down," either. But we should want every player to take it up a notch in the postseason, not have any sort of drop-off.)
Better not tell that to Jordan and Kobe. I said 3 years ago Ayton could be averaging 28 and 15 by now in his career. And he should be.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

28 and 15? Come on. I'm fine with expecting a lot from the guy, but, like, those numbers are unreasonably high. Joel Embiid has never averaged 28 and 15. Jokic has never averaged 28 and 15.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ijo01.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... cni01.html