KEVIN DURANT TRADED TO SUNS

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: KEVIN DURANT TRADED TO SUNS

Post by JeremyG »

I was just thinking about the historical nature of this trade. Am I forgetting something or this the first trade (not counting S&T) in the NBA of a legit MVP-level superstar (still basically at their peak) since the Suns traded for Charles Barkley over 30 years ago? And the best player to be traded since Kareem in 1975 (48 years ago)?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Wilt Chamberlain to the Philadelphia 76ers (1965) - Wilt Chamberlain was traded from the San Francisco Warriors to the Philadelphia 76ers in exchange for Paul Neumann, Lee Shaffer, and Connie Dierking.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to the Los Angeles Lakers (1975) - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was traded from the Milwaukee Bucks to the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, Junior Bridgeman, and Dave Meyers.

Shaquille O'Neal to the Miami Heat (2004) - Shaquille O'Neal was traded from the Los Angeles Lakers to the Miami Heat in exchange for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, Brian Grant, and a first-round draft pick.

Dwight Howard to the Los Angeles Lakers (2012) - Dwight Howard was traded from the Orlando Magic to the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for Andrew Bynum and several draft picks.

Chris Paul to the Houston Rockets (2017) - Chris Paul was traded from the Los Angeles Clippers to the Houston Rockets in exchange for Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams, Sam Dekker, and several draft picks.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

None of the above, post Kareem in 1975, were as significant. Maybe Shaq.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

When’s this press conference!!!??

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Probably coming in a day or two after the team arrives back in Phoenix.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Paul George, James Harden, and Anthony Davis trades were quite massive.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's finally sunk in for me. We have a great community of basketball passion and insight here, and I don't want that to be forgotten in my next statement.

I'm not sure everyone is ready for the basketball nirvana we're about to experience.

Fun is underselling it, but that's the most simple way to phrase it. We've had momentary tastes of it over the last three seasons and this is the culmination of that effort. This is best collection of talent in the 64 year history of the club.

The pressure will be immense, so take care of yourselves. But also, please, enjoy the ride.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:41 am
Yeah but they’re all bitches

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:26 am
Yeah I wasn't including Shaq since he had started the beginning of his decline. And Paul and Howard were not really MVP-level.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Yeah but they weren't MVP-level players, AD was maybe close. Harden had started declining from his MVP level by the time he was traded. Kawhi Leonard is one I forgot, although he had been sitting out a long time. He definitely was still at his peak after the trade, though, winning Finals MVP.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:45 am
It's finally sunk in for me. We have a great community of basketball passion and insight here, and I don't want that to be forgotten in my next statement.

I'm not sure everyone is ready for the basketball nirvana we're about to experience.

Fun is underselling it, but that's the most simple way to phrase it. We've had momentary tastes of it over the last three seasons and this is the culmination of that effort. This is best collection of talent in the 64 year history of the club.

The pressure will be immense, so take care of yourselves. But also, please, enjoy the ride.
Well said... Passions will be running high and can't wait to see what this group does. It has some serious potential to be insane.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:03 am
Split T wrote:
Yeah but they weren't MVP-level players, AD was maybe close. Harden had started declining from his MVP level by the time he was traded. Kawhi Leonard is one I forgot, although he had been sitting out a long time. He definitely was still at his peak after the trade, though, winning Finals MVP.
Well George did finish 3rd in the MVP voting the year before he was traded

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:45 am

I hope you're right!!!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:03 am
Split T wrote:
Yeah but they weren't MVP-level players, AD was maybe close. Harden had started declining from his MVP level by the time he was traded.
Harden was coming off a season where he had averaged 34 ppg.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Yes but when he was traded he was averaging 10 fewer than that, and continued to decline from there.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:57 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Yeah I wasn't including Shaq since he had started the beginning of his decline. And Paul and Howard were not really MVP-level.
Durant has already started the beginning of his decline. He's still an amazing player and his stats haven't suffered, but he's clearly in a late stage of his career. Still probably has 2-3 elite years in him, which is exactly what we need.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:10 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:57 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Durant has already started the beginning of his decline. He's still an amazing player and his stats haven't suffered, but he's clearly in a late stage of his career. Still probably has 2-3 elite years in him, which is exactly what we need.
Agreed. Good thing we only have him signed for 2-3 more years.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:25 am
Wilt Chamberlain to the Philadelphia 76ers (1965) - Wilt Chamberlain was traded from the San Francisco Warriors to the Philadelphia 76ers in exchange for Paul Neumann, Lee Shaffer, and Connie Dierking.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to the Los Angeles Lakers (1975) - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was traded from the Milwaukee Bucks to the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, Junior Bridgeman, and Dave Meyers.

Shaquille O'Neal to the Miami Heat (2004) - Shaquille O'Neal was traded from the Los Angeles Lakers to the Miami Heat in exchange for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, Brian Grant, and a first-round draft pick.

Dwight Howard to the Los Angeles Lakers (2012) - Dwight Howard was traded from the Orlando Magic to the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for Andrew Bynum and several draft picks.

Chris Paul to the Houston Rockets (2017) - Chris Paul was traded from the Los Angeles Clippers to the Houston Rockets in exchange for Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams, Sam Dekker, and several draft picks.
Also Julius Erving to Philadelphia (1976) and Oscar Robertson to Milwaukee (1970).

There's also been some pretty big sign & trade deals - Moses Malone to Philadelphia (1982), LeBron James to Miami (2010) and Durant to Brooklyn (2019) for instance
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

These guys don’t love it.