KEVIN DURANT TRADED TO SUNS

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Mikal Bridges & Cam Johnson Appreciation Thread

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:23 pm
Never said it did. The key is finding the balance of how much of that good are you willing to give up in attempt to get better.
And we don’t know how much until taking a chance to find out.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:26 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:16 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:03 pm
They were a good, fun team. But let’s be real, they weren’t winning a title with that roster. Maybe they could’ve pushed for it by adding one star, but the opportunity was bringing in two or none at all. I can’t criticize them for taking the chance.
I can. They weren't stuck. They could have just kept building. I get you need a star(s), but the Daryl Morey let's just blow everything up chasing stars just isn't the way to go. Brooklyn has done it twice and it us ugly both times. I think you lose every time you prioritize a star over an entire team/organization, especially when you already have something good.
We will see in the next couple years.
Clearly we’re not in the same situation as the Nets either time they tried it. They blew up their entire team while the Suns over turned about a quarter of it.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:27 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Never said it did. The key is finding the balance of how much of that good are you willing to give up in attempt to get better.
I don't think you have to do a thing in order to find out whether it is a bad idea.

Specific to the Suns, it's like Dad just went out used the house, the kids' college funds, and the wedding rings to buy lotto picks. If he wins, great, but I don't think that would change how I would feel about his recklessness.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:28 pm
Clearly we’re not in the same situation as the Nets either time they tried it. They blew up their entire team while the Suns over turned about a quarter of it.
Agreed that there are certainly differences. We still have Book. It's debatable how good of a thing it is that we still have Ayton. But I think the magnitude of the investment is the same, if not more in the case of the Suns.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Also, you can just look at the numbers and say (essentially) that the Suns only gave up two players. But the loss of those two players changes this team on a fundamental level. It changes the entire dynamic.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That’s a crazy analogy. What’s Devin Booker? The family dog? :lol:

You think it’s bad trade value for Kevin Durant. We can move on.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Calling Kevin Durant a lottery ticket is certainly a take

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:33 pm
Specific to the Suns, it's like Dad just went out used the house, the kids' college funds, and the wedding rings to buy lotto picks. If he wins, great, but I don't think that would change how I would feel about his recklessness.
I get what you're saying, but I don't think that analogy is a very accurate representation of the pros and cons of the situation. The current Suns core with Booker and KD has a legitimate shot to win a title for a few years to come. I think it's much higher than the (infinitely small) odds of a lottery ticket paying off. Whether we gave up too much to gain that shot at a title is certainly up for debate. And somewhere around the year 2028 we will probably be wishing we had all these picks in our hands. But that is for another day.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In 2028 we’ll be past 3 of those picks, so we’ll only have 1 pick to still trade.

KD should be here for the first 2 picks(2023 and 2025). If we play our cards right, after the 2025-26 season(when KD’s contract ends), we will have gobs of cap space, the ability to trade 2 1sts, and an in his prime Devin Booker still under contract.

The 2026 free agent class includes:

Giannis, Luka, KD, Curry, Lillard, Butler, Tatum, Mitchell, Ayton, Embiid, Beal, SGA, Bam, Fox, JJJ, Mikal…those are all UFA. Surely some will sign extensions, but it looks to be an absolute gem of a class. The suns should have a great opportunity to retool in a post KD world…and who knows, maybe KD will still be good and hang around.

Point being, if KD stays healthy I don’t really see this team failing. Of course it’s possible they don’t win a title, but I don’t see the future as bleak as some say.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:52 pm
INFORMER wrote:
I get what you're saying, but I don't think that analogy is a very accurate representation of the pros and cons of the situation.
You're right.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:43 pm
That’s a crazy analogy. What’s Devin Booker? The family dog? :lol:
Ha! It was an analogy that was less about analyzing the merits and probabilities the deal brings, and more just venting my feelings on the recklessness I perceive.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:03 pm
In 2028 we’ll be past 3 of those picks, so we’ll only have 1 pick to still trade.

KD should be here for the first 2 picks(2023 and 2025). If we play our cards right, after the 2025-26 season(when KD’s contract ends), we will have gobs of cap space, the ability to trade 2 1sts, and an in his prime Devin Booker still under contract.

The 2026 free agent class includes:

Giannis, Luka, KD, Curry, Lillard, Butler, Tatum, Mitchell, Ayton, Embiid, Beal, SGA, Bam, Fox, JJJ, Mikal…those are all UFA. Surely some will sign extensions, but it looks to be an absolute gem of a class. The suns should have a great opportunity to retool in a post KD world…and who knows, maybe KD will still be good and hang around.

Point being, if KD stays healthy I don’t really see this team failing. Of course it’s possible they don’t win a title, but I don’t see the future as bleak as some say.
This.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:27 pm
INFORMER wrote:
I don't think you have to do a thing in order to find out whether it is a bad idea.

Yeah, it's EXACTLY like playing the lotto. :roll:
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Re: KEVIN DURANT TRADED TO SUNS

Post by TOO »

Taking shots in the draft is the actual lottery, you miss more than you hit and you probably aren't getting a KD from late firsts. I was very against giving up all the picks for Siakam because he doesn't really raise the ceiling, KD on the other hand basically puts you in the playoffs by himself.

Add that to what's already here and its a no brainer. Phoenix is now a destination for players.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TOO wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:38 pm
KD on the other hand basically puts you in the playoffs by himself.

Add that to what's already here and its a no brainer. Phoenix is now a destination for players.
The Suns were already a playoff team. And Book made the Suns a destination. It's why CP3 came here, and it's why Durant wanted to come here.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:46 pm
TOO wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:38 pm
KD on the other hand basically puts you in the playoffs by himself.

The Suns were already a playoff team. And Book made the Suns a destination. It's why CP3 came here, and it's why Durant wanted to come here.
Do the other part now.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Other part?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I can't get that stupid (but hilarious) KeBenderant meme out of my head when I see this jersey.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:55 pm
I can't get that stupid (but hilarious) KeBenderant meme out of my head when I see this jersey.

It was very good.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Now that I think about it, do they even wear that purple uniform anymore? Seems to me like it's been completely replaced by the throwback this season.