Around the League: Week 18 (2/13 - 2/19)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Week 18 (2/13 - 2/19)

Post by Split T »

I think we sometimes have different definitions of what a role player is. I think I’m on the same page as FF in our definition…if you’re dependent on other players for a majority of your shots, I’d consider you a role player. Mikal was also a role player, although he was showing he could step out of that role a bit and be a featured player.

When it comes down to it, everyone is just playing a role, but you generally have 1-3 guys who play a leading role. These are the guys who the offense is created by. They are the ones with the ball who make reads and decide where to go and where to attack. They can create for others and create for themselves. The offense is created around their abilities.

For us this is clearly Booker(and KD will also be one of these guys when he starts playing). CP3 has also clearly been this guy in years past, but he takes a back seat a lot and has often moved into role player mode where he’s just spotting up or passing.

Ayton’s role is set screens, roll, catch and finish. Crash the glass, play defense. And take advantage of mismatches. He’s got a very important role, but he’s still in the role player area to me. Can a guy that doesn’t create be a featured player? I’m not sure about that…I guess Utah tried to do that with Rudy. He was their entire defense and they based their offense around the gravity his rolls created, but he got schemed out of his effectiveness.

Long story short, I’d say Ayton is a role player, but so was Mikal, and so was Marion. He can still be a super effective and valuable player as a role player.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Well said, and role players can still make the All-Star game. JJJ this year, Jarrett Allen last year, Rudy Gobert pretty much every year he's made it...
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:19 am
Every time I read y'all In Phoenix or Heading to Games posts......
Sigh lol #lucky

I've been at least checking the travel
From here I would have to go through Miami or Charlotte on connecting flights (lots of hours 😅🤦🏾‍♂️)

Other thing about the trade is NY is a common flight from here only 5hrs so maybe my best chance might be to go BK and see the Twin facing the Suns possibly next season 🤷🏾‍♂️

I'm gonna make my first game one of these days man
Please, please , please don't complain about having to travel to see the Suns in front of me! Lol

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:36 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:29 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:16 pm
They'll move on from Ayton if he loafs around now. There's no time for that anymore since he's been paid and playing with two guys who are legitimately a level or two better than him.

I'm actually feeling a bit better about his trajectory right now because he's a role player at heart and this will probably be the best opportunity for him to succeed in his entire career.
That must be why he scored 8 straight points in the 4th quarter to put the game away and dominated his all-star opponent last night.
Did you miss the part where he was perfectly set up by his teammates for those points? 4 of the 8 points came out of the PnR and he hit tough shots. The other 4 points were just him standing in the middle of the paint wide open because the defense was closing on a drive.

Until he's consistently creating his own offense or shots for teammates, he'll be a role player in my eyes. There's nothing wrong with that as long as he's playing with the same force we've seen for the past couple of weeks.
And did he really dominate Sabonis? He had a good game and more rebounds.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:01 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:36 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:29 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:16 pm
They'll move on from Ayton if he loafs around now. There's no time for that anymore since he's been paid and playing with two guys who are legitimately a level or two better than him.

I'm actually feeling a bit better about his trajectory right now because he's a role player at heart and this will probably be the best opportunity for him to succeed in his entire career.
That must be why he scored 8 straight points in the 4th quarter to put the game away and dominated his all-star opponent last night.
Did you miss the part where he was perfectly set up by his teammates for those points? 4 of the 8 points came out of the PnR and he hit tough shots. The other 4 points were just him standing in the middle of the paint wide open because the defense was closing on a drive.

Until he's consistently creating his own offense or shots for teammates, he'll be a role player in my eyes. There's nothing wrong with that as long as he's playing with the same force we've seen for the past couple of weeks.
And did he really dominate Sabonis? He had a good game and more rebounds.
No he didn't dominate Sabonis, he had a better game, but he still gave up 24/15/7 lol. Jeremy likes his Ayton superlatives for sure.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Oh my....

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:51 pm
I mean, we might as fucking well at this point. Dude could just rebound, box out on D, hit threes off the bench. He couldn’t start because he is a total cone.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Interesting the Cavs would let him go sign with a competitor in the East.

TOO

Post by TOO »

He'd be an upgrade over Jock.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'd rather have Jock, at least he can move.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t really have much interest in Love

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:53 am
I don’t really have much interest in Love
No love for Love?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Haha, I wouldn’t hate it…I just don’t think we really need him. I think we’ll probably go after him though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like Kevin Love as an end-of-the-bench veteran. But don't we need a backup PG more? We are dangerously thin at the point.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

My Instincts says he’s going to the Warriors. They really need size and him and Klay have been bros since they played peewee baseball.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’ve heard Heat mentioned as favorites

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:37 pm
I'd rather have Jock, at least he can move.
Jock definitely gives you more on the defensive end. And he is probably a better threat in the post than Love. But Love gives you better passing, 3-point shooting, and rebounding.

But honestly, there isn't any reason to choose between the two. I think it is more of a question of whether you want to convert Ish or sign Love.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I have nothing against yung fella
I scooped him up in fantasy prior to the trade and enjoyed the scoring barrage but mentioned that he doesn't play any D

Now watching the games because of the Twin, dude body language is never the best tbh. I guess it's rough going from the talk of the city one week to playing 15-20mins. He probably felt like with no "All Stars" coming back that he would still be a go to player

Last edited by bajanguy008 on Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)