Game Day: Kings (32-24) @ Suns (31-27), Tues 2/14/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Kings (32-24) @ Suns (31-27), Tues 2/14/23

Post by ShelC »

Really good win last night. They were at full strength, we're still working guys in and waiting to get everyone out there. Book looked great, so did CP. DA was locked in nicely again and went at Sabonis all night. The Kings look like a good regular season team that's missing some pieces for the playoffs. Fox and Sabonis just aren't enough at this point.

Okogie's playing really well, just not sure I trust him all the way yet. Craig was pretty bad at times and especially down the stretch again and DLee wasn't hitting his 3s which makes him that much tougher to play. I still think Monty starts Craig, at least at first, but it will come down to who the other 4 are most comfortable playing with with along with matchups. TJ looked like a zombie to me but still made his shots, just a natural scorer.

I don't know if the Suns turned it up because it was the Kings or because they know it's go-time but I think this team is going to be scary post All-Star Break.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Shaq has been critical of Ayton at halftime of games broadcast on TNT. I wonder what they talked about when they were at they Super Bowl party a few days ago. A couple of Ayton’s dunks looked very Shaqesque.

Edit: stupid autocorrect didn’t like Shaq.
Last edited by SunsRIt on Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I know we're waiting to get KD on the court, but it's worth noting that our entire bench backcourt has also been out. Cam Payne is a pretty important player for us. Those horrendous bench minutes wouldn't be quite as bad if we actually had all our guys healthy.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:53 am
Shaq has been critical of Ayton at halftime of games broadcast on TNT. I wonder what they talked about when they were at they Super Bowl party a few days ago. A couple of Ayton’s dunks looked very Shaqesque.

Edit: stupid autocorrect didn’t like Shaq.
I heard some mild criticism from Shaq when Ayton went 6-20, but DA is his guy and he usually is criticizing the team for not getting/keeping him involved. But yeah I’m sure he told him to punish people down low, that’s what he tells every big man haha.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I often think about what prime Shaq would do today with all the space he'd have to operate. He'd avg 30 on 75% shooting.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’d also get hunted mercilessly on pick n roll

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:02 am
He’d also get hunted mercilessly on pick n roll
Nah, he was more athletic than most of the C that play today.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Maybe Young Shaq…but he would’ve been in a deep deep drop. Guys like CP3, Curry, Trae, Lillard, Mitchell would feast.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:48 am
Really good win last night. They were at full strength, we're still working guys in and waiting to get everyone out there. Book looked great, so did CP. DA was locked in nicely again and went at Sabonis all night. The Kings look like a good regular season team that's missing some pieces for the playoffs. Fox and Sabonis just aren't enough at this point.

Okogie's playing really well, just not sure I trust him all the way yet. Craig was pretty bad at times and especially down the stretch again and DLee wasn't hitting his 3s which makes him that much tougher to play. I still think Monty starts Craig, at least at first, but it will come down to who the other 4 are most comfortable playing with with along with matchups. TJ looked like a zombie to me but still made his shots, just a natural scorer.

I don't know if the Suns turned it up because it was the Kings or because they know it's go-time but I think this team is going to be scary post All-Star Break.
Monty made it sound like that 5th starter will be interchangeable. Okogie some nights and Craig others depending on matchups.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:25 am
Maybe Young Shaq…but he would’ve been in a deep deep drop. Guys like CP3, Curry, Trae, Lillard, Mitchell would feast.
With that thinking, that's every C in the league, I'd still happily take that knowing on the other end there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop him.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

So many positives tonight

Okogie deserves his props
I like most just was wowed by his athleticism and defensive instincts to start the reason but it was really a Pray n Hope when he got the ball on offense.

It's just a small sample size but idk, he just seems like he would be the more comfortable/reliable between him and Craig. Hitting the open 3 is very important obviously for the 5th starter but valuing possessions could be just as important. Torrey knack for turning the ball over recently is so head scratching, once he has to dribble dude is a mess and looks so shaky.

While Okogie when dribbling even though he maybe goes to the eurostep too often still is managing to draw fouls and last night all of a sudden showing some passing skills too.

Okogie is easily playing better but question is would it be better to have him off the bench as a result and leave Craig with the 4 studs where potential mistakes more easily overcome 🤔🤔
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’ve thought about your last paragraph in regards to Craig, but I think we have enough options that we don’t need to be starting guys that aren’t playing well. If Craig is making tons of mistakes with the bench, just play someone else. That’s kinda the benefit of having so many options and no clear cut ones.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

My favourite thing about this win without question was Book's minutes

Was it really that obvious he was on a minutes restriction
Yes we have been using a rotation where he plays the whole first quarter and third so that extra 8 or so mins cause he was subbed earlier would put him at 38mins

He played 29 last night and I just wonder if we really need to go back to him playing 22-24 mins of quarters 1 and 3 then if it's a close game is when he comes back 6mins or before in the other two quarters to be at 40 or so. Book never looks tired but we can't ignore the lil random injuries that pop up at the worst time

Adding KD to the rotation as another possible reason to maybe not run him so long in those quarters could result in his minutes being low 30s
Interested to see if Monty goes back to it and how he staggers the starters

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:04 am
I’ve thought about your last paragraph in regards to Craig, but I think we have enough options that we don’t need to be starting guys that aren’t playing well. If Craig is making tons of mistakes with the bench, just play someone else. That’s kinda the benefit of having so many options and no clear cut ones.
Yeah true but as "FF" said who Monty trusts on D is a big factor and we only focusing on his offense in our decision process
Don't think there been the same type glaring issues with D and Boards

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Great game for CP to step up and provide some offense as well as playmaking. Hopefully he can turn it on as needed the rest of the season. Will be exciting to see the addition of KD after the All-Star break.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:20 pm
Okogie could be a very rich man in the summer
Josh has already made over $11 million playing basketball.

It's not like people are taking casseroles over to feed him!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:10 pm
Wally_West wrote:

That's small potatoes in the NBA world. And many lifetimes for us mere mortals.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:14 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:10 pm
Wally_West wrote:

That's small potatoes in the NBA world. And many lifetimes for us mere mortals.
Right?! I was running the math the other day and it would take me just over 5 years to make $1 million. A single million based on my salary! It's crazy how much even bottom tier, salary wise, athletes make in most male professional sports.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Damn, I am so stoked to see that Monty is trying to integrate Okogie. He’d be a top player on defense if he can play with our starters.
Thanks for summarizing the game I was pissed to find out that Kings games are local blackouts for me even though I live in Portland. I didn’t feel like finding alternative ways to stream it. You’d think there would be a better way to not blackout games via server locations.