Suns News: Weeks 19 & 20 (2/20 - 3/5)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Suns News: Weeks 19 & 20 (2/20 - 3/5)

Post by ShelC »

Last Week's Games
Tues, Feb 14 vs Sacramento 120-109 WIN! :D
Thu, Feb 16 vs LA Clippers 116-107 LOSS :(

This Week's Games
Friday, Feb 24 @ OKC 7:00pm MST/10:00pm EST ESPN
Sunday, Feb 26 @ Milwaukee 12:00pm MST/1:00pm EST ABC

Suns Stories
Inside the Suns: Post-All-Star break player rotation, Josh Okogie, TJ Warren
https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2023 ... warren-nba

Suns G Cam Payne ‘close’ to returning after long road back from foot injury
https://arizonasports.com/story/3500637 ... ot-injury/

1 fatal flaw Suns must fix after All-Star break to win 2023 NBA title
https://clutchpoints.com/suns-1-fatal-f ... -nba-title

Power Rankings

CBS Sports
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba- ... isappoint/
Suns 11 (-3) - Given the injury issues they've faced, the Suns must be happy to be sitting at fifth in the crowded West with a supernova like Kevin Durant set to enter the fold some time after the break. Their eighth-ranked defense could take a slide with the departure of Mikal Bridges, but Durant's arrival should catapult the offense from its current position at 18th. Devin Booker has been his usual, excellent self when on the court, and the Suns have gone 21-12 when he plays.
ClutchPoints
https://clutchpoints.com/nba-power-rank ... avs-knicks
6. Phoenix Suns (-1)
Boy, we cannot wait to see Kevin Durant play his first game as a Sun. Till that happens, though, this is just a pretty good team (instead of being a great one). The Suns, in fact, have split their last four games. They had good wins over the Pacers and Kings offset by losses to the Hawks and Clippers. We do expect them to be on a bit of a winning run after All-Star Weekend.

Split T

Re: Suns News: Week 19 (2/20 - 2/26)

Post by Split T »

Does Dunn do anything for us?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:00 am
Does Dunn do anything for us?

Paging Inf.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think he makes sense as a 3rd string pg if we want to jettison Ish and Saban. Although he’s not all that different from Josh Okogie. Still he can dribble and his defense is high level. If Chris Paul were to get hurt we’d need another pg and Dunn being able to reek havoc on defense and just try and minimize mistakes on offense while guys like Booker/KD run most of the offense might work.

I just think he might be more useful to us than Ish. I think we have enough wings. I think we could use someone who could play the 4/5 when we go small or insurance at the 1.

I think we probably have an 8.5 man rotation in the playoffs and I think our biggest weakness is that .5 spot. I think that’s our backup 5 spot.

There are 4 locked in starters(Paul, Book, KD, Ayton) and I’d say 1 locked in reserve(Payne). Okogie/Craig probably take the other starter spot. Then we probably have 2 more rotation wing spots. Your options are the guy who doesn’t start between Okogie/Craig, Ross, Warren, Lee, Shamet, and Ish. I guess Bazley too, but we haven’t seen him play and I get the feeling we probably won’t see him play real minutes.

My best guess is Ross/Warren are the two that would best be able to run the same stuff Book/KD do. Though they may prefer someone who can defend better. I could see Craig or Okogie getting the minutes to balance between offense/defense. So one of Ross/Warren and one of Okogie/Craig. Craig also would be in line to be the small ball 5 option if we don’t want to go traditional with Biz/Landale…although I’d probably actually play KD at the 5.

So how I’d see it as far as playoff rotation:

PG: Paul - Payne - Shamet
SG: Booker - Ross/Okogie - Lee
SF: Okogie/Craig - Craig/Warren - Lee
PF: KD - Craig/Warren - Bazley
C: Ayton - KD - Biz/Landale

Ish would take the Bazley spot if we converted him. If we added Dunn he’d take the Shamet spot and Shamet would probably take the Lee SG spot. We just have more options on the wing and at the backup 4 when we go small than we do at backup pg.

Needs:

1. Someone who could play small ball 5 or the 4 next to KD as the 5
2. PG insurance if one of our top 2 get hurt.
3. Small ball 4/5 insurance

I don’t know that there is anyone out there for #1, but Dunn would be #2 and Ish would be #3

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I strongly suspect CP3 is going to be unplayable at times in the playoffs.I’m quite curious to see how a PG less lineup does with Book and KD running the offense. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a lineup that balanced D and shooting with say,
Book
KD
Okogie
Ayton/Craig
Ross/Warren

Split T

Post by Split T »

Why do you think he’ll be unplayable?

Hurt? Washed? Defense?

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:13 pm
Why do you think he’ll be unplayable?

Hurt? Washed? Defense?
It wouldn’t surprise me if it happens every other game. I just think whatever happened last playoffs is likely to happen again. He will get too tired or injured but all we will notice is his shot being off, lose the ball, or start hurting the team. We all saw it at times in the postseason but I think more often this season. I hope he is just pacing himself.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:45 pm
I strongly suspect CP3 is going to be unplayable at times in the playoffs.I’m quite curious to see how a PG less lineup does with Book and KD running the offense. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a lineup that balanced D and shooting with say,
Book
KD
Okogie
Ayton/Craig
Ross/Warren
I think we've seen success with Point Book. And that was without another all world scorer. I think Book would thrive. I'm not hoping for it but definitely not afraid of it.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm not sure backup PG is seen as a priority and it's doubtful anyone they bring in will help on a Finals run. We've got Payne, who's played well next to Book as a starter but I think Book and KD will be the main ballhandlers if CP misses any time or we just need to adjust and run some lineups without him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Luckily we can survive that form of CP3 now…we can live with him just being a table setter if Book and KD are healthy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:09 pm
I'm not sure backup PG is seen as a priority and it's doubtful anyone they bring in will help on a Finals run. We've got Payne, who's played well next to Book as a starter but I think Book and KD will be the main ballhandlers if CP misses any time or we just need to adjust and run some lineups without him.
I think I’d keep Payne on the bench if CP3 goes down. Start point Book. At the very least I’d pull Payne quick and bring him back when Book goes out.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:04 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:45 pm
Book
KD
Okogie
Ayton/Craig
Ross/Warren
I think we've seen success with Point Book. And that was without another all world scorer. I think Book would thrive. I'm not hoping for it but definitely not afraid of it.
I hated Point Book. Lol. But yeah with KD on the floor with him plus Okogie, it doesn’t matter who brings up the ball. I like the idea of Okogie bringing it up actually as he will have the shittiest defender on him and can start the first action. One aspect of our Finals run that I loved was how well we took care of the ball. I am excited to see that level of execution return.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:09 pm
We will see what Payne has in the tank. I was totally off him. Maybe having playing along KD unlocks driving into the lane.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Do we want Jordan Bell?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Where is he at now? He kinda flopped in the nba. I just checked and it looks like he’s in China

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

What about dragic? There’s rumors floating the bulls would buy him out if they got Beverly. I’ve always liked Goran but don’t know if he’s worth it anymore.

Split T

Post by Split T »

They just cut Tony Bradley, so I think they’re holding on to Dragic. I have no interest in him anyways, he’s not better than Payne at this point and he’s not gonna come here to be a 3rd pg.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I know he hasn't played in forever, but it feels like we've forgotten how good Cam Payne had been, when he's right he's been more than capable. Better than washed up Goran that's for sure.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

🤞🏻 Payne comes back to his old self.