Suns News: Week 21 (3/6 - 3/12)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Week 21 (3/6 - 3/12)

Post by Split T »

I don’t know that I’d call an ankle sprain a significant injury. He’d maybe miss a game or 2, if that, if we were already in the playoffs. I assume we’re just being extra cautious. I guess it could be a more significant sprain, but I’m not worried at all. It’s a bummer we don’t get to keep incorporating him into the lineup, but it seemed like a pretty seamless fit already. We’ve got 6-7 games now to see if anyone else steps up and locks in a rotation spot. Feels like a big opportunity. Also would be nice to get the Booker/Ayton chemistry going.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:31 am
There are only a few of us here who have any interest in it, but I was a heavy favorite to win the fantasy league before the KD injury.

You bastards got lucky and now you have a chance. :twisted:
I was gonna beat you anyways FF haha

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Al is great. Legendary.
Spoiler: show/hide
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:58 am
Al is great. Legendary.
Why? It's not like he was working for free.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:10 pm
Meanwhile Shamet's been re-evaluated every week for the past 3 weeks.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think the 3 seed is still very much in play, given Memphis has plenty of their own issues and injuries to deal with. 2 will be a challenge.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"Just WIN, baby!" - Al Davis
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

We play Sacramento twice still and we beat them twice without KD already. We control our own destiny against them to catch them.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'd like to stay in the top 4, the home/road splits aren't great.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:52 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Al is great. Legendary.
Cold, man!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:07 pm
ShelC wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:10 pm
Meanwhile Shamet's been re-evaluated every week for the past 3 weeks.
Can we swap their evaluations?
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:14 pm
TOO wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Al is great. Legendary.
Cold, man!
It made me chuckle.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

TOO wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Al is great. Legendary.
Wow. You're a jerk.

TOO

Post by TOO »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:01 pm
TOO wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Al is great. Legendary.
Wow. You're a jerk.
Lol.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Meanwhile, we've all been rooting for this team for years for free. Sometimes even paying the team.

TOO

Post by TOO »

MightyMoog wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:30 pm
Meanwhile, we've all been rooting for this team for years for free. Sometimes even paying the team.
Win a title for this guy. #JusticeforMoog
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

From Zach Lowe’s “10 things” column:

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/inside ... us-bol-bol
7. KEEP GOING TOWARD THE BASKET, DEANDRE AYTON

Keeping Deandre Ayton was an under discussed subplot of the Phoenix Suns deal for Kevin Durant -- even if the Brooklyn Nets were never much interested in acquiring him, per league sources.

Ayton is 24. He's not the interior force proponents envisioned when the Suns took him No. 1 (over Luka Doncic), but he's a good two-way player. If Ayton and Devin Booker (just 26) remain mostly healthy over the next half-decade, that should fortify Phoenix against the severe Nets-style downside of coughing up high-end lottery picks as Durant and Chris Paul age.

Right now, Ayton is perhaps the most important non-superstar variable in the championship race -- presuming Durant returns in time and at 100% from his ankle injury. Phoenix needs him to be airtight defensively. He is one of the few bigs who can corral pick-and-rolls at the arc and fight Nikola Jokic in the post.

The combined supernova threat of Durant, Paul, and Booker -- perhaps the greatest collection of pull-up shooting and pick-and-roll ballhandling ever on one team -- will catapult Ayton into open spaces and mismatches. He has to take advantage with more ferocity.

Ayton's default direction in traffic is backward. For whatever reason, he prefers to gather and spin away from the rim for hooks. Ayton has never averaged more than three free throws per game.

Can we excise this nonsense?

[Video of DA posting up Pat Bev and Beverly stuffing him]

This is how easy it will be now: One Durant post touch triggers cascading rotations that remove Nikola Vucevic from Ayton, and end with Ayton catching down low with some combination of no one and Patrick Beverley on him. Go fast, and Ayton might rise up before Beverley completes his rotation. Ayton is 10 inches taller and 70 pounds heavier than Beverley. Forget this twirling finesse. Dunk it, and toss Beverley into the stanchion.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:16 pm

Keeping Deandre Ayton was an under discussed subplot of the Phoenix Suns deal for Kevin Durant -- even if the Brooklyn Nets were never much interested in acquiring him, per league sources.

Ayton is 24. He's not the interior force proponents envisioned when the Suns took him No. 1 (over Luka Doncic), but he's a good two-way player. If Ayton and Devin Booker (just 26) remain mostly healthy over the next half-decade, that should fortify Phoenix against the severe Nets-style downside of coughing up high-end lottery picks as Durant and Chris Paul age.

Right now, Ayton is perhaps the most important non-superstar variable in the championship race -- presuming Durant returns in time and at 100% from his ankle injury. Phoenix needs him to be airtight defensively. He is one of the few bigs who can corral pick-and-rolls at the arc and fight Nikola Jokic in the post.

The combined supernova threat of Durant, Paul, and Booker -- perhaps the greatest collection of pull-up shooting and pick-and-roll ballhandling ever on one team -- will catapult Ayton into open spaces and mismatches. He has to take advantage with more ferocity.

Ayton's default direction in traffic is backward. For whatever reason, he prefers to gather and spin away from the rim for hooks. Ayton has never averaged more than three free throws per game.

This is how easy it will be now: One Durant post touch triggers cascading rotations that remove Nikola Vucevic from Ayton, and end with Ayton catching down low with some combination of no one and Patrick Beverley on him. Go fast, and Ayton might rise up before Beverley completes his rotation. Ayton is 10 inches taller and 70 pounds heavier than Beverley. Forget this twirling finesse. Dunk it, and toss Beverley into the stanchion.
This x1000.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:32 am
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:16 pm

This x1000.

I feel like the suns need to hand out signs to all the fans sitting behind the baskets saying “DUNK THAT 💩!”