Game Day: Kings (39-26) @ Suns (37-29), Sat 3/11/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Kings (39-26) @ Suns (37-29), Sat 3/11/23

Post by ShelC »

Postgame Quotes and Videos
Spoiler: show/hide

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Despite the loss, the Kings aren't scaring me. And If I were a Kings fan, I'd be worried because they could barely handle us while we were down KD. They remind me of the early 2000s Kings/Suns. Nice team, good players, no one really dangerous and not any kind of scary defense. Monk and Lyles hit shots, refs reffed us again, and our bench didn't show up. We need Payne to be better for sure. Can't have him giving us nothing but Monty also leaned on his starters a ton, obviously not wanting to risk losing this game. Only Ish and Ross played more than 10 minutes off the bench.

I'm hopeful Ross can get better defensively. Have to watch his minutes again to see if it's just him but it felt like our defense was in shambles more than usual with guys like running around and chasing the ball at times on the perimeter. Still, when he's on he can be instant offense.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Basically all of our starters minus Craig had good games, plus Ross. But that wasn't enough; the Kings hit 43% of their 3s as a team. We hit 29.5%. Craig had just 4 points; Payne had 5. Not enough guys stepping up.

Kings had a nicely balanced attack; nobody got over 20 points but a bunch of guys scored in the 12-19 point range. Malik Monk killed us in one stretch where it felt like every 3 was going in. They got really nice performances from 5 different bench guys, totaling 65 points.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This game has me wanting Shamet back

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:59 am
This game has me wanting Shamet back
This thread has gone to some dark places.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Haha, I’m not a big Shamet guy, but he’s ok on both sides of the ball. We don’t really have that right now from the bench.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We need dependable bench scoring. It would be nice to have 2021 Cam Payne, or Cam Johnson.

Split T

Post by Split T »

There’s a lot of 2021 stuff I’d love…Ayton and CP3 too

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Things about this game have me a little worried about the Suns. They got a nice lead early in the game, then stopped playing hard, and started whining about the calls and it seemed that their focus went there instead. It showed that the wings are weak outside of Book and KD. It also showed that backup PG, just as we've been saying for years is a problem. I'm not super worried about the Kings, but if the Suns have any health issues, they will be the Suns. They play very hard, are young, and can shoot the ball. If the Suns don't come in focused, and keep that throughout the game, they are suspect to a loss.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

The tone of this game thread I found interesting and I kinda changed my mind about posting initially

Either way, in my opinion i thought we played a very solid game.
Torrey was my scapegoat for the night if I had to highlight someone, he was in quite a few defensive breakdowns
And the occasional 3s are icing on the cake for him (didn't have any) but his value on O is the work on the glass and don't remember him getting any junkyard dog points or extra possessions
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Still curious about the TJ stuff
I think this might be coaching/system which I find interesting if not disappointing

TJ is getting put in the corner like Ross, Craig, Ish, Lee - basically our reserve player spot in the offense
Most of the time with the unit he's on with, the ball is not really rotating enough for him to get many touches so as I like to call it he's just doing cardio

The reason Ross generates more shots than the others is because the secondary action involves curling for a wing 3 or a dribble hand off for the weakside player and Ross is the best of the bunch there at either rising up on that pass or dribbling into a shot

Craig, Ish and Lee not comfortable with that and out of the 5, TJ is the easily the second best shot creator. Just feel his role is too static and if we put him on regardless of if with CP3/ Payne or even Book that those guys could spot up and let him run the PnR or have some DHOs

Just don't see how he will be effective if he's in the role of Craig and Ish who don't require touches. That's a long post on a guy barely getting 15mins some nights but I think we misusing him
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Aside from looking a bit washed, I agree the system probably doesn't really work for TJ. He's not a catch and shoot, stand in the corner player. He needs the ball in his hands to create for himself and we don't operate like that.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

TJ might do better as a starter (playing 10-15 minutes)
Coming off the bench, it seems to take him about five or more to get in the game flow...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Warren hasn’t shown me anything…I was a little excited about him when we acquired him, but he’s been bad. The funny thing is we didn’t need to add him to the trade. I’d almost be willing to cut him for Melo at this point.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That Jae addition to the trade really screwed the Suns, imo. Think Jared Vanderbilt vs. Tony Buckets.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I wonder what we had set up for Jae…obviously it was the Bucks trade to get the 5 2nds(think that was even reported), but we weren’t keeping those 2nds. We had some other move(s) lined up. We should’ve made the Jae trade first and said sorry Brooklyn, our best offer is Saric. I can’t imagine they would’ve said no. They just tried to get every last thing from us.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:18 am
The tone of this game thread I found interesting and I kinda changed my mind about posting initially

Either way, in my opinion i thought we played a very solid game.
Torrey was my scapegoat for the night if I had to highlight someone, he was in quite a few defensive breakdowns
And the occasional 3s are icing on the cake for him (didn't have any) but his value on O is the work on the glass and don't remember him getting any junkyard dog points or extra possessions
I think Torrey Craig would really benefit from working with a shooting coach. He has an awkward shooting form with his arms and elbows at weird angles. I think if he worked on his form he could be a more consistent 3-point shooter, which is what we really need from him. Having him start and eat up minutes and only give us 4 points is rough.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Craig is shooting a career high in both 3PTM (1.3) and 3P% (39%) this season.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He is still 39% from 3 on the season. Though only 30% since the all star break. But still way over his previous career best %.

Ya what FF said

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:25 pm
Ya I wonder what we had set up for Jae…obviously it was the Bucks trade to get the 5 2nds(think that was even reported), but we weren’t keeping those 2nds. We had some other move(s) lined up. We should’ve made the Jae trade first and said sorry Brooklyn, our best offer is Saric. I can’t imagine they would’ve said no. They just tried to get every last thing from us.
I could be mistaken but the KD deal doesn’t work without Crowder’s salary, so you couldn’t just Substitute Dario. Dario gets paid 800K less and that 800K was the difference between it working and not working. We needed to meet the 36 million threshold and Mikal + Cam + Dario is just under that so the KD deal doesn’t work financially. You could’ve included Landale or something like that but I think the Nets only had one extra roster space so they wouldn’t be able facilitate that. The pieces Milwaukee used to get Crowder were sent to Indy.

Crowder’s salary was always key to get any KD deal, which is why I believe James Jones was waiting until the deadline to move him just in case KD deal was possible because his salary made any KD deal much easier to get done. There’s was too many hurdles you had to figure out if you weren’t going to include Jae. Which makes me believe the whole “Nets strong armed the suns to include Crowder in the KD deal” to be complete bullshit, coming from a Nets front office that shown to time and time again they’re willing to leak and lie about info to push own their agenda. I think that Windhorst article about how the deal was done was mostly Nets propaganda and James Jones doesn’t give a shit about playing those games so he was completely fine with Nets pushing their narrative.