Game Day: Bucks (49-19) @ Suns (37-31), Tues 3/14/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Game Day: Bucks (49-19) @ Suns (37-31), Tues 3/14/23

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:05 pm
The #1 pick is water under the bridge. It's nonsensical to cling to it now that there's a much bigger issue, being overpaid by about $10M annually.
This is absolutely a fair point; the only problem is that some were using his being the number one pick (the only one in franchise history! :roll: ) as one of the reasons why we HAVE to keep him and pay him the max.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TOO wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:57 am
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:40 am
TOO wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:22 pm
djy2j wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:19 pm
Same bullshit officiating advantage for Giannis. Just hand them the chip cowards. Sick of this shit
There isn't anything Ayton can do, he's probably the best Giannis defender in the league and he's screwed because you can't touch anyone.
Really?!

Ayton historically has moved well with him and gotten tall when needed to make Giannis shoot a tougher than normal shot. So yes, was he good last night? Nope, he was garbage, biting on head fakes he had no reason doing so. I am no Ayton fan, but he does have a few things he does well.
I don't think he defended Giannis well out all in the NBA finals.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:30 am
This team's biggest problem is that that if Ayton is out or in foul trouble or taking one of his naps they have zero dependable big men.

Zero.

And we've all been saying that they needed to address it for a couple of years now. And yet..... nothing but crickets.
There is truth in this, but Landale was good last night. He helped the Suns get the lead.

And I think the issue is not having a big that can play with Ayton. Milwaukee can field Lopez and Giannis together, and we don't have an answer for that. Maybe Durant's size will help, if we even get to see him play against them.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:40 am
I’m glad Monty is finally speaking out about the unfair officiating. Nobody can beat that.
Nobody? I mean the Suns were in position to take the game in the 4th. What happened after that had nothing to do with Giannis getting calls.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:06 pm
Superbone wrote:
I’m glad Monty is finally speaking out about the unfair officiating. Nobody can beat that.
Nobody? I mean the Suns were in position to take the game in the 4th. What happened after that had nothing to do with Giannis getting calls.
It all adds up and makes it that much more to overcome. Nobody. And frankly, it's not fair.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:33 am
Love Mikal and love what he’s doing and I think it’s real, but I’m not sure I’d have wanted to rest our chances on him. Teams would’ve continued to double Book and we would’ve lived and died on how Mikal performed.
That's fine if you're only concerned about this year. But with having all their picks going forward, having youth on their side, moving Crowder for a rotational player, and moving away from CP3 with a manageable salary cap, we could have built with Book-Scrimmage Bridges-CamJ.

I'll always prefer trying to win with a team than trying to win with 2 great players and a bunch of guys, especially when one of those great players is in his mid-30s and is injury prone.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:11 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:06 pm
Superbone wrote:
It all adds up and makes it that much more to overcome. Nobody. And frankly, it's not fair.
It makes it difficult, yes. But again, the Suns were in position to win.

Every champion has opposing fan bases complaining about unfair officiating advantages. But those "advantages" didn't go away when the Pistons beat the Lakers, or when the Suns swept the Spurs, or all the years Giannis hasn't won a championship.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Other thoughts from last night's game:
  • Two of my favorite Suns plays of the year happened last night: Torrey Craig's block on Giannis and Book's jumper over Crodwer. Two beautiful plays.
  • Ish was really solid, and I liked how he played Giannis. That airball three was brutal though.
  • Good to see 2021 Playoff CamPayne flash last night.
  • Wish Monty was more committed to getting something out of Bazley; would have liked to see his length and athleticism against Milwaukee
  • Devin has to be smarter about officiating. They'll give him the push off when he does it below the chest. But on his offensive foul against Holiday, he gave Jrue a forearm to the chest three times before the refs finally called it. That was just a dumb by Devin, and a turnover the Suns couldn't afford.
  • Okogie had some costly errors down the stretch. The two trips to the line where he only made 1-2, and then that travel. He helped last night, but those plays hurt too.
  • And LOL at Milwaukee putting Joe Ingles on Chris Paul; that tells you all you need to know about where CP3 is at in his career.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

TOO wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:57 am
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:40 am
TOO wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:22 pm
djy2j wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:19 pm
Same bullshit officiating advantage for Giannis. Just hand them the chip cowards. Sick of this shit
There isn't anything Ayton can do, he's probably the best Giannis defender in the league and he's screwed because you can't touch anyone.
Really?!

Ayton historically has moved well with him and gotten tall when needed to make Giannis shoot a tougher than normal shot. So yes, was he good last night? Nope, he was garbage, biting on head fakes he had no reason doing so. I am no Ayton fan, but he does have a few things he does well.
Vando would have been so good.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Giannis would've sent Vando into the 3rd row just the same as Craig with that shoulder.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:59 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
The #1 pick is water under the bridge. It's nonsensical to cling to it now that there's a much bigger issue, being overpaid by about $10M annually.
This is absolutely a fair point; the only problem is that some were using his being the number one pick (the only one in franchise history! :roll: ) as one of the reasons why we HAVE to keep him and pay him the max.
There weren’t many here (maybe just one?) who tried to peddle this logic last summer. Maybe it was more common in Suns gen pop.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:43 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:59 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
There weren’t many here (maybe just one?) who tried to peddle this logic last summer. Maybe it was more common in Suns gen pop.
I stay away from Suns Gen pop, talk about a toxic mess. Woof.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

I think I liked Ish on Giannis last for the simple fact he pushed him around and made him work.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:12 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:33 am
Love Mikal and love what he’s doing and I think it’s real, but I’m not sure I’d have wanted to rest our chances on him. Teams would’ve continued to double Book and we would’ve lived and died on how Mikal performed.
That's fine if you're only concerned about this year. But with having all their picks going forward, having youth on their side, moving Crowder for a rotational player, and moving away from CP3 with a manageable salary cap, we could have built with Book-Scrimmage Bridges-CamJ.

I'll always prefer trying to win with a team than trying to win with 2 great players and a bunch of guys, especially when one of those great players is in his mid-30s and is injury prone.
Ya seeing that Mikal looks like he’s leveled up for real, not making the trade does make sense. You could just have a fun 2nd round playoff run this year(maybe get lucky and sneak into the WCF) and then have time to build for the future. I’d still want to move Ayton, but building around Book/Mikal/Cam plus whatever you get from Ayton has real hope with how Bridges has looked now.

I still like the trade though as I think we have a real title shot these next two years and I didn’t think we did before. I will say that I thought we had to capitalize on the last usable year or so left of CP3, but Mikal could’ve made that not as big of a deal.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Basically if we don't win a title (or at least go to the Finals) in the next two attempts, the trade will have been a failure. That's a lot of pressure. We'll have to wait and see.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s going to be seen as a failure if we don’t win a title, but I wouldn’t look at it that way. In some sense not winning the title is always a failure, but if you’re going to judge it against that backdrop you’d have to win a title in the alternate universe where we don’t make the trade and that’s impossible to know.

If we stay relevant and have a shot at the title I’d say it was a success. If we never really challenge for a title, then I’d call it a failure…or if we challenge for one, ultimately fail and the team falls apart and Booker leaves..then that would be a failure. Or if we turn into the Blazers with Booker filling the Dame role.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:48 pm
It’s going to be seen as a failure if we don’t win a title, but I wouldn’t look at it that way. In some sense not winning the title is always a failure, but if you’re going to judge it against that backdrop you’d have to win a title in the alternate universe where we don’t make the trade and that’s impossible to know.

If we stay relevant and have a shot at the title I’d say it was a success. If we never really challenge for a title, then I’d call it a failure…or if we challenge for one, ultimately fail and the team falls apart and Booker leaves..then that would be a failure. Or if we turn into the Blazers with Booker filling the Dame role.
If you think you're close and make decisions based on something other that winning (like trading Kurt Thomas), that's a failure.

Taking your best shot and coming up short isn't.
Last edited by The Bobster on Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:21 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:48 pm

If you think you're close and make decisions based on something other that winning (like trading Kurt Thomas), that a failure.

Taking your best shot and coming up short isn't.
Yes I agree…If we go dump Ayton or stretch and waive CP3 this summer without doing anything to replace them then it’s a clear failure

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

And every indication we've had so far is that Ishbia wouldn't go that route.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

From Suns reddit. I had to laugh.