Around the League News: Week 23 (3/20 - 3/26)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Around the League News: Week 23 (3/20 - 3/26)

Post by ShelC »

Nationally televised games this week
Wednesday, March 22nd
Golden State @ Dallas 7:30pm EST on ESPN
Phoenix @ LA Lakers 10:00pm EST on ESPN

NBA News
Kia MVP Ladder: Joel Embiid overtakes Nikola Jokic for No. 1 spot
https://www.nba.com/news/kia-mvp-ladder ... 23-edition

2023 NBA Playoffs: Latest clinching scenarios
https://www.nba.com/news/2023-nba-playo ... -scenarios

Eastbay was more than just a magazine for basketball players
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/358 ... ll-players

Split T

Re: Around the League News: Week 23 (3/20 - 3/26)

Post by Split T »

Booker makes an appearance on that mvp list at #10…Wonder if he’ll have played enough to get an all-nba nod. I was leaning no, but we’ll see how the last 10-12 games go.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This is something that needs to change…in no world should this be a foul on Craig. Fine I guess if you want to call nothing, but Craig was not impeding Giannis…the offensive player shouldn’t be allowed to use whatever force they want just because Craig is not squared up in front of Giannis. How exactly are you supposed to be squared up in front of an offensive player when both are moving anyways?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If you've got the biggest and strongest player on the court, you can use whatever force you want verse a smaller player, if they are not in legal guarding position. If Giannis ended Craig's or anyone else's career, I guess the league's position on this is that it's a foul on Craig or anyone else if they aren't in legal guarding position. Lowering your shoulder and trucking people is now legal, if you can catch them out of position.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

IMO the foundational principle of the block/charge rule is outdated. In general people have this idea that if you're defending a guy and he smashes into you, you'll draw a charge call IF and only if you are completely stationary, if you have your feet set. And that's great in general, provides a simple-ish rule to follow. But I think it was made in an era when NBA players were not as athletic, not as agile, not as strong as they are now. Nowadays if you stand completely still, the player will easily just go around you. So nobody stands still; the defenders are always moving. Even a guy who hits the brakes to try to draw a charge is almost always still moving, at least a little bit.

I think they need to take into account initiation of contact, and excessiveness of contact. If both players are in motion, but the offensive player initiates excessive contact (plows into the defender), I think it's a charge. Even if the defender is moving and not even remotely has his feet set.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Julius Randle has 52 (!) so far tonight in the Knicks / TWolves game.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401469228

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Jazz knocked off the Kings tonight. Probably can’t catch them but you never know.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Brooks getting his 18th tech. What an idiot.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He's not wrong. Well, besides when Kidd has Pinson inbound the ball on a last possession to win a game which is certainly an odd time to put him into the game.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Kessler is a really good young player, but I'd be lying if I didn't think about a certain member of this Suns team every time the media brings up this comparison.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Give me the Mavs in the first round. Exorcise that demon.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:36 pm
Kessler is a really good young player, but I'd be lying if I didn't think about a certain member of this Suns team every time the media brings up this comparison.

There is no reason Ayton shouldn't he blocking shots like Kessler. 7'6" wingspan, 35" inch vertical. Meh. Power layups all day.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

You're not wrong, but I always think along the lines of replacement production and value.

However, I think blocks are pretty overrated as a defensive stat.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:48 pm
You're not wrong, but I always think along the lines of replacement production and value.

To me, it's one of those things that builds momentum, much like alley oops. Gets the crows going, demoralizes the opponent. Yeah neither of them really mean more than a rebound or a lay-up, but they do have an affect on the game.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

TOO wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:26 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

To me, it's one of those things that builds momentum, much like alley oops. Gets the crows going, demoralizes the opponent. Yeah neither of them really mean more than a rebound or a lay-up, but they do have an affect on the game.
Yeah, I love after a good block, you can hear them going, "caw, caw!" and flapping their wings.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:43 am
TOO wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Yeah, I love after a good block, you can hear them going, "caw, caw!" and flapping their wings.
Some typos just make things better.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:04 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:43 am
TOO wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Some typos just make things better.
:D I wasn't going to let that go either. Damn crows.
"Be Legendary."

Carno

Post by Carno »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:26 pm
IMO the foundational principle of the block/charge rule is outdated. In general people have this idea that if you're defending a guy and he smashes into you, you'll draw a charge call IF and only if you are completely stationary, if you have your feet set. And that's great in general, provides a simple-ish rule to follow. But I think it was made in an era when NBA players were not as athletic, not as agile, not as strong as they are now. Nowadays if you stand completely still, the player will easily just go around you. So nobody stands still; the defenders are always moving. Even a guy who hits the brakes to try to draw a charge is almost always still moving, at least a little bit.

I think they need to take into account initiation of contact, and excessiveness of contact. If both players are in motion, but the offensive player initiates excessive contact (plows into the defender), I think it's a charge. Even if the defender is moving and not even remotely has his feet set.
I know it's never been enforced this way, but in my opinion, it should be that whomever owns the space first wins. If a defender is in the space first, I don't care if his feet are set, his back is turned, or he is in a fetal position, it should be a charge if the offensive player enters the space and hits the defender. Just my opinion.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

NBA Finals preview on NBATV tonight. ;)
"Be Legendary."