Game Day: Suns (38-33) @ Lakers (35-37), Wed 3/22/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Suns (38-33) @ Lakers (35-37), Wed 3/22/23

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:14 am
TOO wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:43 am
Who gets more FTA in this game, first team all nba guard Austin Reaves, or outta nowhere rando Devin Booker?
No question Reaves doubles up on that bum Booker.
Well, Reaves didn't double him up but he did get more. And that was with Booker getting more than half of the Suns' free throw attempts.
"Be Legendary."

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:37 am
Another turd of a game. A few positives: Landry Shamet looks legitimately good. He didn't do much in the second half, but he hit several nice jumpers and hustled a lot in the 1st half. I really liked what I saw from him. Also, Book had another great game; extremely dependable 30+ point scorer. Torrey Craig had a pretty nice game, too.

Not much else positive to say. Our defense was frustratingly bad. The refs sucked, yes, but on plenty of plays we just let guys like Russell and Reaves blow by us for layups. And Anthony Davis beat us up inside. Okogie has been on a bit of an extended slump, which sucks. Payne has been inconsistent again. CP3 had a decent scoring game tonight but just isn't the same player any more.

Overall I have a lot of concerns about this team. KD and Ayton coming back helps a LOT, but still, if you want to win a title you need more guys you can depend on than we're seeing right now. The number of guys we can count on to give us production from game to game is frighteningly few. We should be able to beat the Lakers without Lebron. We should be able to beat OKC. And so on. Might we fall out of 4th? The 4-12 in the West are VERY tight right now. A few more losses and we may be on the outside looking in.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at with this team. I just don't think we have enough around the 'big 4' to win a championship. I won't labour the point as I've mentioned it several times on different threads, but I'd struggle to see any of our bench players getting minutes for legit contenders. That's perhaps fine if you have a talented core of young starters who are healthy but each of the 'big 4' have had their injury problems this season, and two are well into their 30's.

I just don't see where the points are going to come from if one of those guys goes down.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We’re screwed if one goes down. If they stay healthy though, the west is wide wide open. We’re gonna need help from the role guys in the finals though. I don’t think Book and KD can beat Giannis and the Bucks(who have a much better supporting cast) if we get zero from our non-big 4. Now if we also get Pels series CP3/Ayton in addition to KD/Book, the others really don’t matter much at all.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The most optimistic thing you can say about this year's Suns team is that if we're 100% healthy, there's no reason we can't win the West. That is a very strong and positive statement. I don't think I would have said that about the previous team with Bridges and Cam Johnson. Even though we don't have much consistency beyond the Big 4 (and even within the Big 4, with CP3 and Ayton not always delivering), I still think we can beat any team in a series if we are healthy.

I'm not really "scared" of any West team. The Nugs are very good, and some others like the Mavs are a bad matchup for us. But I think we can beat any of them in a series if healthy. I'm much more afraid of the Bucks; I think we would struggle against them even with KD. But if we get that far, it was a very successful season no matter what happens.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I think most people have the Bucks as favorites, but they kinda feel like heavy favorites to me and that doesn’t seem to be the case with most people.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:32 am
The most optimistic thing you can say about this year's Suns team is that if we're 100% healthy, there's no reason we can't win the West. That is a very strong and positive statement. I don't think I would have said that about the previous team with Bridges and Cam Johnson. Even though we don't have much consistency beyond the Big 4 (and even within the Big 4, with CP3 and Ayton not always delivering), I still think we can beat any team in a series if we are healthy.

I'm not really "scared" of any West team. The Nugs are very good, and some others like the Mavs are a bad matchup for us. But I think we can beat any of them in a series if healthy. I'm much more afraid of the Bucks; I think we would struggle against them even with KD. But if we get that far, it was a very successful season no matter what happens.
No Marty…. It’s ring or bust! Second place is the first loser! Jk

With all the injuries that teams have been dealing with, I hate to say it but I’m really starting to think a shorter season would be best for everyone’s program. Is there any team this season that’s had their core together all year? Some will say it’s part of the sport…. However if we have the ability to break up or shorten the season in order to avoid the “load management” crap, I think they should do it. I can’t imagine how frustrating it would be to buy tickets to see your favorite player only for them to decide to take the night off.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:50 am
Foster was on one last night.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We do need a shorter season, but it’ll never happen for money reasons. I do wonder if a 62 game schedule where you play everyone twice, so completely balanced, would work. I’m adding 2 expansion teams here. No back to backs. Just 2-3 games every week. No 4 or 5 game weeks. Build the load management into the schedule. Makes each game more important. I’d also give bigger rewards for regular season standing. Let the 1 seed pick their opponent from amongst the 5-8 seeds and I’d even give a super home court advantage where they get 5 home games.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I think the solution is to add 2 more teams. Move Minnesota and Memphis to the East. That will cut down on travel. You play your division 4 times, everyone else twice.

Instead of play in tourney, 1 and 2 seeds get first round byes.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Can only move one to the East. You’d need to keep 16 in both

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

And first round bye's are too much of an advantage when it comes to total games played unless they changed the first round to a best of 5 series. Even then, it's still pretty unbalanced.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oh wow
Had to let the dust settle after this one before posting. Was way too annoyed and didn't feel like using our "safe space here to vent".......
Smh

Finally reading the board and catching up on my timeline
This has to be the best take I've seen in a minute. Props to Okogie for understanding a trend so hunting body contact for fouls but man it honestly is not a good look for the league
It's crazy that Book be out there using skill and trying to evade defenders so isn't rewarded also because of some jump shooter narrative
Wild stuff and going into the Playoffs with this issue still present is annoying
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The funny part about that is Booker used to do A LOT more foul hunting in the past. I remember many of us here would get frustrated when he’d be trying so hard to get the whistle that he’d miss an otherwise makable shot.

He’s pretty much eliminated that part of his game in the past 2 seasons or so, but it hasn’t really improved the way he’s officiated.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.