Game Day: Suns (38-33) @ Lakers (35-37), Wed 3/22/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Game Day: Suns (38-33) @ Lakers (35-37), Wed 3/22/23

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:40 pm
KD and Ayton coming back does fix most of this mess. It absolutely changes everything…can’t learn much from these games at all
Right. Just some silly takes in this thread. At the same time, we really need a win. I’m not saying it’s a must win to win either the kings or sixers games but it’s very important to win one of them games.

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:43 pm
Split T wrote:
KD and Ayton coming back does fix most of this mess.
I disagree. The bench is a wreck. Ayton coming back certainly doesn't help the defense. Maybe a bit more offensive punch from him, yes.

The bench is a bunch of scorers who can't score. And Monty clearly doesn't know how to use them.

CP has nothing left in the tank.

KD helps alot but the bench still has to exist.
The bench completely changes with KD back. Now KD or Book is always out there. Just need to find 3-4 more guys to play small roles. Okogie and Payne seem to have two of them…Shamet and Craig probably got the other. Then maybe Jock/Biz depending on the matchup.

The guys mostly messing things up are Ross and Warren. Craig too at times but his minutes and role decrease significantly with KD back.

It’s really a massive difference with KD back. Remember we did go 3-0 in those Durant games. All these bench guys look significantly better as they slide further down the rotation. Book goes from a 1 to a 2, CP3 goes from a 2 to a 3 or 4. Craig/Okogie go from the 3rd guy to a 5th/6th guy. Shamet/Ross don’t ever have to be the top scoring threat. I think you’re assuming how they are playing in roles over their heads will be like they play with KD back. Life will get much easier for them.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:48 pm
Split T wrote:
KD and Ayton coming back does fix most of this mess. It absolutely changes everything…can’t learn much from these games at all
Right. Just some silly takes in this thread. At the same time, we really need a win. I’m not saying it’s a must win to win either the kings or sixers games but it’s very important to win one of them games.
Luckily everyone else behind us will continue to play .500, but ya we could really use a win.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:58 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:48 pm
Split T wrote:
Luckily everyone else behind us will continue to play .500, but ya we could really use a win.
Little crazy we’re still 4th lol but everyone got their problems right now.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

2018 vibes watching this team. Booker and some riff raff.

Suns have just been undisciplined since KD went down. CP is biffing layups in the 4th. Bizzy getting called for a totally unnecessary moving screens 80 feet from the basket on a fast-break. Shamet passing to the cameraman.

Landry had an absolutely classic ShametRocket today. He pulled up from 15 feet, elevated (his head had to be at rim level) and absolutely whipped it off the front of the rim. The shot had negative arc and died on impact. He did play well in the first half, though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I only watched the 2nd half and was like, wow this is a real stinker for Shamet, was very surprised to look at his box score…realized it must have all been in the first half.

Suns look like a team that hasn’t spent a lot of time playing with each other, which is mostly the case. I’m still not worried about the team when fully healthy, but an injury to Book or KD, even for a small time, will flatten this team in the playoffs. We just don’t have the depth.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shamet has to have the worst shooting touch for a "shooter" in the history of basketball.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

His shot is just so ugly…flat as can be

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

A lot of his shots look rushed or he's mechanically over exerting himself. I'd bet he's automatic in practice. Seems like he has the yips during games.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:17 pm
It’s good that Monty is making it a thing after the game but I’d like to see him get fired up and T’d up on a ridiculous call/no-call just once. I think it would help the team to know he’s got their back and as frustrated as they are. And it would make me feel a little better, which is something…right???

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think that's a terrible idea. The players know he has their back, so why should he give the opposition a free point?

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

It can work if you do it strategically. popovich has been a master of it over his many years. If you are getting screwed over in a game, it isn’t going to get worse but may get better.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Postgame Quotes and Videos
Spoiler: show/hide

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Turned this one off at halftime, knew where it was headed. We just don't have much talent without KD and DA and the bullshit with the refs doesn't help. Book is the only bucket getter we can fully rely on and it's not enough. Plus I think we have some tired legs but not sure there's anything to do at this point. Was hoping KD would be back this week but it'll be at least another week. I think he'll get re-evaluated in a week and be back shortly after barring a setback, but we need him to close this season out.

I don't know what has to be done or what can be done with the refs; the more we complain, the more we get reps as being complainers and the refs are less prone to make calls for us. You can't tell me our team is fouling so much more than other teams or that guys like Book and CP aren't getting hit when they get into the paint. At this point, I'd just rather not get frustrated watching the game.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I know we're all Suns fans and it can come off a certain way complaining about the officiating, but this is ridiculous. And what's worse is that I feel like some of the media is catching in to this (like Brian Scalabrine) and it's getting framed as the Suns are just whiners who foul every play. There's this weird public annoyance with Booker and Paul and I just don't get it.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I agree there were plenty of missed calls and bad calls, but we really were awful and undisciplined on defense after the first quarter. The bench comes in and defends with their hands every game and puts the opponent in then bonus after 4 minutes. It didn’t help that Monty got spooked by Okogie’s 0-fer and benched him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Another turd of a game. A few positives: Landry Shamet looks legitimately good. He didn't do much in the second half, but he hit several nice jumpers and hustled a lot in the 1st half. I really liked what I saw from him. Also, Book had another great game; extremely dependable 30+ point scorer. Torrey Craig had a pretty nice game, too.

Not much else positive to say. Our defense was frustratingly bad. The refs sucked, yes, but on plenty of plays we just let guys like Russell and Reaves blow by us for layups. And Anthony Davis beat us up inside. Okogie has been on a bit of an extended slump, which sucks. Payne has been inconsistent again. CP3 had a decent scoring game tonight but just isn't the same player any more.

Overall I have a lot of concerns about this team. KD and Ayton coming back helps a LOT, but still, if you want to win a title you need more guys you can depend on than we're seeing right now. The number of guys we can count on to give us production from game to game is frighteningly few. We should be able to beat the Lakers without Lebron. We should be able to beat OKC. And so on. Might we fall out of 4th? The 4-12 in the West are VERY tight right now. A few more losses and we may be on the outside looking in.