Around the League: Week 24 (3/26 - 4/2)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Around the League: Week 24 (3/26 - 4/2)

Post by Mori Chu »

Nationally televised games this week (all times ET)
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-tv-schedule/

Mon Mar 27
7:00p Mavericks – Pacers NBA TV
9:30p 76ers – Nuggets NBA TV

Tue Mar 28
7:30p Heat – Raptors TNT
10:00p Pelicans – Warriors TNT

Wed Mar 29
7:30p Mavericks – 76ers ESPN
10:00p Timberwolves – Suns ESPN

Thu Mar 30
7:30p Celtics – Bucks TNT
10:00p Pelicans – Nuggets TNT

Fri Mar 31
8:00p Lakers – Timberwolves NBA TV
10:30p Nuggets – Suns NBA TV

Sat Apr 1
7:30p Mavericks – Heat NBA TV

Sun Apr 2
6:00p Mavericks – Hawks NBA TV
8:30p Warriors – Nuggets NBA TV

NBA News
TODO

bajanguy008

Re: Around the League: Week 24 (3/26 - 4/2)

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wasn't worth it. ;) Saw the one good reaction.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

IDK, I watched that so many times when I saw it yesterday. The comedic efficiency rating is off of the charts.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Wow....

What's up with the Hornets and these West Play-In teams 😳🤐

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

PJ Washington probably just earned himself an additional $1-2M per year in the past week.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I always liked PJ

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SMH. If the context is anything besides keeping Chet on the shelf, it's got to piss off some of the players like SGA. They did just sit SGA out and lost, so...

Edit: I think the tweet was deleted, which is pathetic if it's damage control.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I see no problem in what OKC is doing. They play hard every night. No need to put any of their players in risk of long term injuries. They’re also set up with probably the best future of any team out there. Hopefully they’ve learned their lesson from the previous run and they will pay the money to keep their guys together this time around.

As for this years team, it’s a win win for them. They either get valauable playoffs experience or another great pick. The only thing they can lose is if they play a player that’s hurt and he gets seriously injured because of it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It just bugs me in general that teams are rewarded for losing. I’m in favor of dropping the draft altogether or going away from tying it to team record.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:19 am
It just bugs me in general that teams are rewarded for losing. I’m in favor of dropping the draft altogether or going away from tying it to team record.
I'd be up for the second option for sure. Just make it a level playing field and draw names out of a hat to decide the order.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:24 am
Split T wrote:
I'd be up for the second option for sure. Just make it a level playing field and draw names out of a hat to decide the order.
Then you'll have fringe playoff teams tanking to get out of the playoffs.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:38 am
SunsSince92 wrote:
Split T wrote:
If it was a level playing field, how would they benefit by tanking to get out of the playoffs? Essentially the only advantage teams would have in the draw is if they have more than one pick in each round. Otherwise every team that has a pick (including the eventual champions) would have their name in the hat and could be drawn to pick first

I'm certain there would be issues with that system too, such as the top teams being 'randomly' drawn to pick first and therefore getting better, but rewarding deliberate tanking seems equally daft.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:13 am
Shabazz wrote:
SunsSince92 wrote:
Split T wrote:
If it was a level playing field, how would they benefit by tanking to get out of the playoffs? Essentially the only advantage teams would have in the draw is if they have more than one pick in each round. Otherwise every team that has a pick (including the eventual champions) would have their name in the hat and could be drawn to pick first

I'm certain there would be issues with that system too, such as the top teams being 'randomly' drawn to pick first and therefore getting better, but rewarding deliberate tanking seems equally daft.
I thought you meant among the lottery teams.

The current system is not perfect, but the '17 Warriors landing Wembanyama or something is not great for the league either.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:36 am
SunsSince92 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:13 am
Shabazz wrote:
SunsSince92 wrote:
Split T wrote:

I thought you meant among the lottery teams.

The current system is not perfect, but the '17 Warriors landing Wembanyama or something is not great for the league either.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. Agreed - that would be less than ideal!

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Reward ping pong balls after the All Star in reverse order, giving more odds to those who won the most, that way you avoid masked forfeiting.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:35 pm
Reward ping pong balls after the All Star in reverse order, giving more odds to those who won the most, that way you avoid masked forfeiting.
Deciding the lottery odds earlier in the season is an interesting idea. Too early to really decide to tank the whole season; too late to recover from if you did try to first-half-of-the-season tank.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Get rid of the draft. Allocate money based on record and let the rookies sign where they want. If they want to sign with the nba champion for the lowest offer then that’s up to them.

If teams want to tank to be able to offer the most money, then that’s up to them, but there’s no guarantee anyone will take their money. Need to be able to sell players on your franchise.

And yes I’d let teams trade their allocated money like draft picks.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Interesting concept, but it's kind of the same thing as the lottery. The players can pick their team, but most will just go to the bigger markets if the salaries are too similar and they'll always take the most money if the salaries are dramatically different.

How about a shorter regular season and starting the playoffs with every team in a best of 3 series? Then give every team out in the first round the same odds for the #1 pick. I'd also consider increasing the cap for teams that make it to the second round.

Another wrinkle I'd like would be to allow teams to select their first round opponents. I think this would make for a lot more drama than the typical last month of the season and more or less eliminate tanking.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It definitely could be similar to the lottery system. I think I mostly think it’s unfair to make rookies essentially play 8-9 years in a place they had no say in choosing. Ya they can ask out and there are ways to get out in restricted free agency, but those are crummy options. Just think players should have a little more control over their situation.