LeBron Back to the Cavs

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

LeBron Back to the Cavs

Post by Shabazz »

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron ... -cavaliers
Before anyone ever cared where I would play basketball, I was a kid from Northeast Ohio. It’s where I walked. It’s where I ran. It’s where I cried. It’s where I bled. It holds a special place in my heart. People there have seen me grow up. I sometimes feel like I’m their son. Their passion can be overwhelming. But it drives me. I want to give them hope when I can. I want to inspire them when I can. My relationship with Northeast Ohio is bigger than basketball. I didn’t realize that four years ago. I do now.

Remember when I was sitting up there at the Boys & Girls Club in 2010? I was thinking, This is really tough. I could feel it. I was leaving something I had spent a long time creating. If I had to do it all over again, I’d obviously do things differently, but I’d still have left. Miami, for me, has been almost like college for other kids. These past four years helped raise me into who I am. I became a better player and a better man. I learned from a franchise that had been where I wanted to go. I will always think of Miami as my second home. Without the experiences I had there, I wouldn’t be able to do what I’m doing today.

I went to Miami because of D-Wade and CB. We made sacrifices to keep UD. I loved becoming a big bro to Rio. I believed we could do something magical if we came together. And that’s exactly what we did! The hardest thing to leave is what I built with those guys. I’ve talked to some of them and will talk to others. Nothing will ever change what we accomplished. We are brothers for life. I also want to thank Micky Arison and Pat Riley for giving me an amazing four years.

I’m doing this essay because I want an opportunity to explain myself uninterrupted. I don’t want anyone thinking: He and Erik Spoelstra didn’t get along. … He and Riles didn’t get along. … The Heat couldn’t put the right team together. That’s absolutely not true.

I’m not having a press conference or a party. After this, it’s time to get to work.

When I left Cleveland, I was on a mission. I was seeking championships, and we won two. But Miami already knew that feeling. Our city hasn’t had that feeling in a long, long, long time. My goal is still to win as many titles as possible, no question. But what’s most important for me is bringing one trophy back to Northeast Ohio.

I always believed that I’d return to Cleveland and finish my career there. I just didn’t know when. After the season, free agency wasn’t even a thought. But I have two boys and my wife, Savannah, is pregnant with a girl. I started thinking about what it would be like to raise my family in my hometown. I looked at other teams, but I wasn’t going to leave Miami for anywhere except Cleveland. The more time passed, the more it felt right. This is what makes me happy.

To make the move I needed the support of my wife and my mom, who can be very tough. The letter from Dan Gilbert, the booing of the Cleveland fans, the jerseys being burned -- seeing all that was hard for them. My emotions were more mixed. It was easy to say, “OK, I don’t want to deal with these people ever again.” But then you think about the other side. What if I were a kid who looked up to an athlete, and that athlete made me want to do better in my own life, and then he left? How would I react? I’ve met with Dan, face-to-face, man-to-man. We’ve talked it out. Everybody makes mistakes. I’ve made mistakes as well. Who am I to hold a grudge?

I’m not promising a championship. I know how hard that is to deliver. We’re not ready right now. No way. Of course, I want to win next year, but I’m realistic. It will be a long process, much longer than it was in 2010. My patience will get tested. I know that. I’m going into a situation with a young team and a new coach. I will be the old head. But I get a thrill out of bringing a group together and helping them reach a place they didn’t know they could go. I see myself as a mentor now and I’m excited to lead some of these talented young guys. I think I can help Kyrie Irving become one of the best point guards in our league. I think I can help elevate Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters. And I can’t wait to reunite with Anderson Varejao, one of my favorite teammates.

But this is not about the roster or the organization. I feel my calling here goes above basketball. I have a responsibility to lead, in more ways than one, and I take that very seriously. My presence can make a difference in Miami, but I think it can mean more where I’m from. I want kids in Northeast Ohio, like the hundreds of Akron third-graders I sponsor through my foundation, to realize that there’s no better place to grow up. Maybe some of them will come home after college and start a family or open a business. That would make me smile. Our community, which has struggled so much, needs all the talent it can get.

In Northeast Ohio, nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have.

I’m ready to accept the challenge. I’m coming home.

Flagrant Fowl

Re: LeBron Back to the Cavs

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Good for LeBron. Too bad it helps Dan Gilbert. That guy is a major douche.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

I can not wait to tune in to Le Batard's show today. It's going to be EPIC.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

The Cavs also still own Miami's 2015 first round draft pick...that's got to hurt.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Good - now that the self-serving drama is over, let's get back to business, shall we?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

No mention of Wiggins in the letter. Trade for Love?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Um, how is this thread worthy? We already have an "offseason" and "free agency" thread; put it there.

(j/k)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

carey wrote:I can not wait to tune in to Le Batard's show today. It's going to be EPIC.
The meltdown in Miami is going to be comical. The entitlement expressed by their "fans" will be a spectacle.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wowwwwwwww, huge news for the NBA. I'm shocked and amazed. I actually am really happy about this news. I always hated the super-team Heat and hated how Lebron abandoned the Cavs to join them. I really feel like he's trying to make things right. I'm sure the city of Cleveland is ecstatic to have him coming back, and this just feels right. I'm also experiencing heavy levels of schadenfreude at the thought of how bad the Heat are probably going to be now. I can't wait to see all of their bandwagon fans jump off and stop supporting the team.

Good for Lebron and the Cavs.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What a jerk, that letter totally shows what an arrogant narcissist LeBron is. :roll:
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Really classy letter by LeBron.

The Cavs have had some serious luck over the last few years. They have a ton of great, tradeable assets as well (Memphis lottery pick, Miami top-10 protected pick).

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:What a jerk, that letter totally shows what an arrogant narcissist LeBron is. :roll:
I know, right? Such an arrogant, selfish guy who never works hard for anything.

EDC

Post by EDC »

That PR. Man that letter was superbly written. Probably about the best way he could have done it. Well except having released it about a week ago. That would have been nice. :)

Can't fault Lebron for going home. I'm just really happy for the Cavs fans. If he would have gone back to Miami after all the media hype it would have been tough.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The letter is a nice gesture and all, but LeBron's an opportunist. He left his home to chase a title in Miami, got his 2 rings and is leaving them because the roster is finished. He's not going to Milwaukee or Philly because they have no talent. He's going "home" to Cleveland which has a ton of young talent on the roster. I'm not knocking him for it, but this sentimental home stuff is just crap.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

If he wins a title with the Cavs LeBron's narrative will probably the most epic to date in Basketball.

'I’m not having a press conference or a party. After this, it’s time to get to work.'

I don't know about arrogant or selfish, but the truth is that the mfer does learn.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

'I’m not having a press conference or a party. After this, it’s time to get to work.'
...as he boards a plane headed to Brazil for the World Cup Final.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I know how he feels when he talks about the sentimental stuff. I have the same type of feels for my hometown. It really doesn't matter what he would do, there will always be people that will think he is doing this for only self serving reasons. He could take a bullet to save a bunch of children, and there will still be haters that say that Jordan would have caught it and thrown it back at the shooter.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
In2ition wrote:What a jerk, that letter totally shows what an arrogant narcissist LeBron is. :roll:
I know, right? Such an arrogant, selfish guy who never works hard for anything.
One almost perfectly writen letter, do not oversee the body language that constantly portrait him as such.

Maybe he took this long to make it public because the draft went into a thousands revisions (PR guys, Lawyers, focus groups, Key sponsors, etc) So altough I recognized it as a very well tought move and the best way to clean the slate all over the board, it doesn't makes me reconsider my opinion on Lebron.

I could even argue that was true that source calling his FA tour a charade, since he clearly states that only Miami and Cleveland were legit choices all along. But, I'm not someone to write in comic sans, stupid letters and certainly our FO is either. They saw a minimal chance and went for it, or maybe they saw it as a PR move themselves, as getting on the final three would put us in a place we didn't have in terms of being considered a "destination".

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The young man has grown up.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:I can not wait to tune in to Le Batard's show today. It's going to be EPIC.
Please feel free to share any juicy bits that make their way to the internet.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."