Isaiah Thomas to Suns in Sign and Trade

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfan4life

Isaiah Thomas to Suns in Sign and Trade

Post by Sunsfan4life »

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... With-Kings
Isaiah Thomas has reached agreement with the Phoenix Suns and will be dealt as a sign-and-trade on a four-year, $27 million contract.

Thomas is a restricted free agent of the Sacramento Kings.

The Kings will receive a $7 million traded player exception, along with the draft rights to Alex Oriakhi
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Shabazz

Re: Isaiah Thomas to Suns in Sign and Trade

Post by Shabazz »

The contract is fine.

The fit? Ehhh. I don't like 4 PGs at all. I'm all for playing your 5 best guys without regards for position, but if they're all 6-5 and under it doesn't work.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop. Bledsoe S&T for Horford or Millsap?
Last edited by Shabazz on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

This has to be the first domino in something bigger, right? I'm going to reserve judgement until I see what else gets done but of itself this move doesn't help us where we need help.

m1chal

Post by m1chal »

How many PGs can there be on one team? Or SFs for that matter, if the Deng rumour is true.

Weird.
Last edited by m1chal on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Shabazz wrote:The contract is fine.

The fit? Ehhh. I don't like 4 PGs at all. I'm all for playing your 5 best guys without regards for position, but if they're all 6-5 and under it doesn't work.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop. Bledsoe S&T for Horford or Millsap?

This. Also, why would IT2 accept a backup role and probabaly around 20mins per night with us where he could of started with either Miami or Dallas who were interested in him?
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'm an IT2 fan so I'm pretty stoked. I do wonder the fit with Ennis, I no longer see Goran running point as we're constructed.

Green/IT2 is a freakbeast of a bench combo.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Also the step up from Ish to IT2 is massive.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The Suns are still in the "accumulating assets" stage of rebuilding, but they're getting close to the "fitting the pieces together" stage.

They look pretty good at PG, SG and SF, and I'm optimistic about the C position, but other than Markieff, they are in desperate need of another big PF.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Also the step up from Ish to IT2 is massive.
The step up from Ish to Ennis is massive in itself. :lol:

And I loved the effort Ish put forth.

Now - there'd better be some fucking mind-blowing, heretofore uncontemplated moves being set on the domino line.....

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Also the step up from Ish to IT2 is massive.
This as well. INF and I use to debate who was better him or Grevis...He is small, but he can fill it up.

TOO

Post by TOO »

The Bobster wrote:The Suns are still in the "accumulating assets" stage of rebuilding, but they're getting close to the "fitting the pieces together" stage.

They look pretty good at PG, SG and SF, and I'm optimistic about the C position, but other than Markieff, they are in desperate need of another big PF.
Makes sense, we shot for the moon in LeBron and didn't get him. So continue to stockpile good young players with solid drafting and FA moves and pursue a star via trade.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Another thing is Bledsoe just missed half a season, better to stick IT2 in there than a very young rookie in Ennis.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

PG: Bledsoe, Isaiah, Ennis
SG: Dragic, Green, Goodwin

Small ball all day!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Bledsoe - 32min
Dragic - 32min
Thomas - 26min
Green - 30min
PJ Tucker - 28min
Marcus Morris - 16min
Markief Morris - 26min
Plumlee - 28min
Len - 22min

That leaves no minutes for Ennis, Goodwin, or Warren but is probably a pretty good estimate of how minutes will be distributed. Len is an x factor, as we don't know what we'll have there so going smaller could be an option which would mean more minutes for Marcus and maybe TJ Warren. I don't know how Goodwin can hold up as a 3 right now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Like I said in the other thread, our guard rotation is going to give other teams fits! Our pace will be balls out for 48 minutes.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Haven't we been down this road before though...Will we never get away from small ball?

What's the definition of insanity?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just watched some of the scouting video Bobster posted. IT2 has Tony Parker type finishing ability around the rim.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

ShelC wrote:Haven't we been down this road before though...Will we never get away from small ball?

What's the definition of insanity?
This is the Suns way, this is what people want. Run the other team off the floor for 82 games the flame out in the playoffs because we cant rebound or get a stop for shit.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:I just watched some of the scouting video Bobster posted. IT2 has Tony Parker type finishing ability around the rim.
Yep, seeing as the Kings are on my local channel, I've seen a ton of this kid. I can honestly say I have no idea why the Kings let him go in favor of a journeyman PG.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

5 years, $90 million. 4 years, $27 million.

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton