2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: 2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:43 pm
What happened to overpaying our own free agents (such as Bazley or others) so we could hold on to tradeable contracts/salary slots? That rumor just went by the wayside.
Umm, we signed better players for much less money. That seems like the more optimal strategy than overpaying scrubs for theoretical (but illogical) trade possibilities.
I would rather have Bazley than Wainright on the roster.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:07 pm
I am holding out hope that Killian Hayes falls out of the rotation in Detroit, and the Pistons try to get something for him before he hits free agency.
He makes more than we can bring in with the TPE. If we had kept Payne on the roster, however, we could have traded him plus Ish plus picks for Hayes.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:43 pm
INFORMER wrote:
I am holding out hope that Killian Hayes falls out of the rotation in Detroit, and the Pistons try to get something for him before he hits free agency.
He makes more than we can bring in with the TPE.
You're right; I was still thinking of his salary last season. He gets quite a bump in this final year of the deal.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

pickle

Post by pickle »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:39 am
pickle wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:52 am
But he’s a better player and I still don’t see why the Pacers would want Payne over him.
In the reported trade talks, Payne wasn't going to Indiana.
You are right. The reported deal was to New York who would send Fournier to Indiana. And McConnell is better than Fournier too, so pick compensation was in the works, and nobody could put up enough to make it happen. Too good to be true but the front office was poking around to make things happen, which seems kind of a positive thing to me, not something I would get angry about.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I think McConnell still ends up here if we find we need a playmaker. Pacers owner, Herb Simon, loves his money and although the Pacers should take a step forward this year, they won't be a contender. McConnell will lose mins to youngers guys eventually and ol Herby will look at that 5 mil or whatever and start rubbing his grubby little hands together.

Incase you can't tell I am not a big fan of the Simon ownership group here in Indy.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Only way to get McConnell is to trade Ayton now though

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:55 pm
Only way to get McConnell is to trade Ayton now though
Not true. It could also be accomplished by trading Booker, Beal, or Durant. :P

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

JeremyG wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
What happened to overpaying our own free agents (such as Bazley or others) so we could hold on to tradeable contracts/salary slots? That rumor just went by the wayside.
Umm, we signed better players for much less money. That seems like the more optimal strategy than overpaying scrubs for theoretical (but illogical) trade possibilities.
If Wainright is smart he will spend the entire offseason in a gym shooting 3s for hours on end.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:49 pm
JeremyG wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
He makes more than we can bring in with the TPE.
You're right; I was still thinking of his salary last season. He gets quite a bump in this final year of the deal.
A Jock Landale TPE would have worked. I wonder why we didn't get that done.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Because the rockets had no incentive whatsoever to help us?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Billionaire Mat Ishbia razing 5 Bloomfield Twp. homes to build mansion, 'amusement park'

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 410992007/

Thanks Cam Payne!

-The Ishbia Family
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

pickle wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:28 pm
Because the rockets had no incentive whatsoever to help us?
We could’ve sent them some cash for their trouble. Not like they had anything to lose by helping us.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:18 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
If Wainright is smart he will spend the entire offseason in a gym shooting 3s for hours on end.
I feel like Metu, Goodwin, and Saben Lee should all be full-timers in the gym this summer.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:26 am
Billionaire Mat Ishbia razing 5 Bloomfield Twp. homes to build mansion, 'amusement park'

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 410992007/

Thanks Cam Payne!

-The Ishbia Family
One of those tear-downs is where he lives now. It's a 22,000-square-foot house that Ishbia built after demolishing two other houses, both of them 1950s ranch houses [...]

Ishbia's current house is by no means an expendable ranch. It's only eight years old, has won design awards and starred in glossy design magazines. It seems far too new to destroy.
Wow. :lol:

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

So they actually lost a draft pick to get rid of Payne, while fooling fans into thinking they gained picks by trading Payne. :lol:

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:36 pm

So they actually lost a draft pick to get rid of Payne, while fooling fans into thinking they gained picks by trading Payne. :lol:
I'd like to think that Ishbia's new mansion was factored into the equation... :lol:

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Listened to this weeks dunker spot and they started out with a suns segment. Started with the trio of moves we made, but evolved into a bigger conversation about the suns going forward. To summarize:

Payne trade - Steve Jones Jr said he shut his brain off when he saw it saved 26 million in luxury tax payments.

Bol deal - Steve said he’s not sure where he plays in the rotation, but always good to get a talented player cheap.

The 1st round swap for 3 2nds mostly just left them wondering what they might do in the future. You make those trades to have assets for future trades. Brought up the TPE’s as they are really are only way to bring in money. There’s no one between Ayton and EG salary wise on the roster.

The bigger discussion was about the 5th starter(also Shams calling Beal our pg). Nekias seemed to think Jordan Goodwin made the most sense as our 5th starter since he provides a POA defender and can do some pg stuff even though he’ll mostly be off ball.

Steve took that report to mean that Goodwin is not the starter. He thinks the ideal set up would have Okogie as the 5th starter. A lot of us have assumed it would be KBD, but I thought it was interesting to hear these two say Goodwin or Okogie.

They both agreed who closes is the more important question and I think that can vary depending on the situation and who’s playing well.

I think I like the idea of Okogie starting because he can defend POA and it lets him try and replicate his 2 months from last regular season. Let him develop confidence in his role and maybe he’ll be more reliable come playoff time. I also like that he’d be in at the beginning of games, playing with the big 3(4), getting open shots but not high pressure shots. You can always close with a guy like EG if you need the shooting…or KBD if you need the size.

I think I have 5 guys I feel pretty good about as playoff rotation guys. We need probably 2 or 3 of Okogie, Goodwin, Yuta, KBD, Eubanks, Metu, Bol, Lee, or Camara to step into those last couple playoff guy spots.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:34 pm

I think I have 5 guys I feel pretty good about as playoff rotation guys. We need probably 2 or 3 of Okogie, Goodwin, Yuta, KBD, Eubanks, Metu, Bol, Lee, or Camara to step into those last couple playoff guy spots.
A monstrous improvement over what we went into the playoffs with this last post season.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If Okogie starts, he better have turned himself into a knock down shooter from the corners. Otherwise, it's not ideal, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass