Western Conference Round 2, Game 2: Suns (0-1) @ Nuggets (1-0), Mon 5/01/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Western Conference Round 2, Game 2: Suns (0-1) @ Nuggets (1-0), Mon 5/01/23

Post by Superbone »

Time: 7:00 pm AZ (7:00 pm PT/10:00 pm ET)
Place: Ball Arena, Denver, CO
TV: TNT

Just like in round 1, the Suns got punched in the mouth again to start this series. Let’s see how they respond. How will we guard Murray this time? Will he get more attention? Will Ayton show some aggression this game and bring his effort to an acceptable level? Will Cam Payne get some meaningful minutes off the bench? Will Shamet continue to ruin things? A lot rides on this game.

https://www.nba.com/gamenotes/suns.pdf
https://www.nba.com/gamenotes/nuggets.pdf

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Re: Western Conference Round 2, Game 2: Suns (0-1) @ Nuggets (1-0), Mon 5/01/23

Post by Mori Chu »

Big game for us. Not a must-win, but we need to show a better effort and make it clear that we aren't going to be dominated by these guys. I posted about this in the other thread, but the two biggest adjustments I want to see are: start Craig, and play Landale as our backup center. Other than that, I really hope they shoot more 3s than they did in Game 1.

In terms of our chances to win, well, the Nugs had guys hitting like 60+% of their shots last game, like Murray and Gordon. I don't think they can keep that up for the whole series. If both teams regress to the mean, we will have a lot better chance tonight.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't know that there's a big difference between Craig and Okogie. Both need as much time on Murray as possible. Maybe Craig gives another rebounder in the starting lineup to help with Jokic.

We need to get everyone involved offensively throughout the game, namely CP. We've starting running KD and Book at point early in the games while CP stands and watches in the corner. Then the opposite happens later in the game - CP runs PnR with DA while KD and Book watch.

I agree that Jock needs more time. He can score the garbage buckets inside and be a threat from the outside. I also might try him at PF next to DA if the matchups workout so we can get another big body in the lane to rebound. We just don't have a lot of 6-9 230lb guys to matchup with AG/MPJ/Green.

Also think we need Payne and at least one of TJ and Ross out there for offense. The Nuggets don't have any shotblockers so a guy like Payne should be able to get whatever he wants at the rim. Book was getting to the basket easily, maybe by design; we just can't match 2s with their 3s. Hopefully Book has his legs back a bit tonight. Thought he was dragging in Game 1 and that might've been why he wasn't pulling from 3 like we're used to seeing.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

We don’t need Jock and we don’t need Biz unless DA gets in foul trouble. When Jokic is on DA should be on. When he’s off we should go small with KD or Craig at the 5

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

DA looked pretty gassed at times when the game picked up. I'd rotate all 3 to give them different looks, hit the boards, beat up Jokic a bit.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 8:20 am
DA looked pretty gassed at times when the game picked up. I'd rotate all 3 to give them different looks, hit the boards, beat up Jokic a bit.
It’s exhausting giving half effort

Split T

Post by Split T »

Was thinking about it this morning and Ayton is just stuck between two types of bigs. He sees himself in the same world as the Embiid and Jokic types on offense and we want him to be a Allen/Capela/Looney type. The dirt worker. He can play in both worlds a little bit but he’s not great at either. I think most of us would just prefer he give up the Embiid dreams and just focus on being the best version of Allen/Capela/Looney. Looney just pulled down 20+ boards 3 times against the Kings. That’s what we want.

We have the scoring, we don’t need him to score. We need him to control the boards, get our much better offensive players more shots, stop Denver from getting more shots and make it hard for them to score at the rim.

Just imagine if DA decided he wasn’t going to care at all about offensive touches, he was just going to set screens, roll to the rim, crash the offensive glass with ferocity, run back in transition, and play his hardest on D. He’d be exactly what this team needs and the frustrating thing is he’s perfectly capable of doing that. He just doesn’t want to. No post ups and no calling for the ball unless he’s got Bruce Brown or Jamal Murray on him.

I don’t completely blame him as I get that he wants to utilize his skills, but that’s why he needs to be moved this summer. Give me the Capela/Allen/Looney that would be content playing the role we need and I’ll take the salary savings and use them elsewhere for more depth.

I wish we could go to Ayton and say, give us this for this playoff run and we’ll move you in the summer to a place that will let you play the way you want.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

DA needs to go to some middling team like the Pacers and realize that even there he wouldn't be the #1 or #2 option. That might give him the kick he needs to realize that he isn't a go-to offensive player. I bet he'll be better in ~4-5 years once he's learned that and accepted some things. But he probably won't get to that place on this team.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrtOpjfMPd ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Suns marketing department sending subtle hints to Monty.

TOO

Post by TOO »

TOO

Post by TOO »

And Dillon Brooks was Landry Shamet awful.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Brooks had a -7.5 BPM…that’s so bad. Shamet was -7.3(yikes). So Brooks was like if we played Shamet 30 minutes a game.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton is -4.7 for reference

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Kill me

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:59 am
DA needs to go to some middling team like the Pacers and realize that even there he wouldn't be the #1 or #2 option. That might give him the kick he needs to realize that he isn't a go-to offensive player. I bet he'll be better in ~4-5 years once he's learned that and accepted some things. But he probably won't get to that place on this team.
My gut always wants to move on from him. I wish there were a way he could develop a better offensive game to be a second or first option in the offense. We will have all these regular season games to play and it would be great time to pad his stats and give Book and KD a break from carrying the load.
I think if a deal comes across the table to pick swap him for a more consistent player, it’ll get done. I know defensive coaches would love to have him on their team.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

If Terrence Ross or TJ Warren had the same rope that Shamet has, they'd be putting up 12 PPG each in the playoffs. For some reason Monty trusts Shamet unconditionally, even if he hasn't shot well in months. Probably because he runs around like a coked up gerbil on D. TJ and Ross get yanked if they make one mistake and play tentative as a result, rendering them useless in the first place. It's a big flaw in Monty's postseason coaching.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 11:16 am
If Terrence Ross or TJ Warren had the same rope that Shamet has, they'd be putting up 12 PPG each in the playoffs. For some reason Monty trusts Shamet unconditionally, even if he hasn't shot well in months. Probably because he runs around like a coked up gerbil on D. TJ and Ross get yanked if they make one mistake and play tentative as a result, rendering them useless in the first place. It's a big flaw in Monty's postseason coaching.
I think the inconsistent minutes have hurt Lee, too. He played with such confidence earlier in the season. But now he knows that if he makes a mistake or two, he'll get yanked, and I think that affects his shooting.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 11:28 am
Shabazz wrote:
I think the inconsistent minutes have hurt Lee, too. He played with such confidence earlier in the season. But now he knows that if he makes a mistake or two, he'll get yanked, and I think that affects his shooting.
This team needed an additional 10-15 games together to mesh and iron shit out ahead of the playoffs.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 11:28 am
Shabazz wrote:
And yet Shamet doesn't have the same rope. Clank a few 3's and throw a bad pass? No worries, you'll get a few more minutes and then return to the game during clutch time! Must be the curls in his hair that Monty longs for.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s just the defense. Shamet is the best defender of those guys and Monty values that.