Western Conference Round 2, Game 3: Nuggets (2-0) @ Suns (0-2), Fri 5/05/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Western Conference Round 2, Game 3: Nuggets (2-0) @ Suns (0-2), Fri 5/05/23

Post by Superbone »

Time: 7:00 pm AZ (7:00 pm PT/10:00 pm ET)
Place: Footprint Center, Phoenix, AZ
TV: ESPN

The Suns return home to challenge the Nuggets in a must win game 3. The Suns will be without Chris Paul most likely for at least the next three games. It’s time to pull out all the stops.

https://www.nba.com/gamenotes/suns.pdf
https://www.nba.com/gamenotes/nuggets.pdf

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss
"Be Legendary."

Gladiator

Re: Western Conference Round 2, Game 3: Nuggets (2-0) @ Suns (0-2), Fri 5/05/23

Post by Gladiator »

Now or never time. This is a non-negotiable must-win game. So let’s go win it.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Monday? Isn't it Friday?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

An absolute must-win. I think we're in big trouble. Coach Monty has indicated that he's going to completely upend his bench rotation; some change there would be good, but I don't think it is being done in a very thoughtful way. He's just going to throw a bunch of guys out there who are better shooters but play horrible defense. Denver will carve them up.

I really hope Payne shows up to play today. Basically our whole season is riding on him turning into Superman for a few weeks. I wouldn't bet my life savings on that.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:47 am
An absolute must-win. I think we're in big trouble. Coach Monty has indicated that he's going to completely upend his bench rotation; some change there would be good, but I don't think it is being done in a very thoughtful way. He's just going to throw a bunch of guys out there who are better shooters but play horrible defense. Denver will carve them up.

I really hope Payne shows up to play today. Basically our whole season is riding on him turning into Superman for a few weeks. I wouldn't bet my life savings on that.
Has the alternative worked? Even if the bench has played solid defense, when they are scoring a total of 4 freaking points, you're killing the team.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Carno

Post by Carno »

Lots of doom and gloom lately. There have been many examples of teams that lost the first two games on the road and then won the series. I'm optimistic.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I dont think its doom and gloom so much as being realistic.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They are certainly in trouble with their backs to the wall. It’s do or die time. I predict Durant will be the top scorer this game after his last less than stellar game in Denver. Will the Suns bench show up? That’s the big question. Hopefully they can top 4 points this time.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Our only chance to win this series is if KD becomes the best player on the court

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

KD has a lot to prove. So far it’s looking like Barkley may have been right with the whole “bus driver” argument.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Carno wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:30 am
Lots of doom and gloom lately. There have been many examples of teams that lost the first two games on the road and then won the series. I'm optimistic.
Exactly. The Warriors literally just did it! I get they have won multiple championships but that Kings team certainly looked as though they had their number in the first two games of that series.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:22 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:47 am

Has the alternative worked? Even if the bench has played solid defense, when they are scoring a total of 4 freaking points, you're killing the team.
I'm in the mood for some spaghetti. Just throw it at the wall and see what sticks.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:27 am
They are certainly in trouble with their backs to the wall. It’s do or die time. I predict Durant will be the top scorer this game after his last less than stellar game in Denver. Will the Suns bench show up? That’s the big question. Hopefully they can top 4 points this time.
If they can get 6 I'll be happy. NOT!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:39 am
Our only chance to win this series is if KD becomes the best player on the court
Super Book would go a long way too. How about a dynamic duo?
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The bench goes off for 50+….

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:46 am
KD has a lot to prove. So far it’s looking like Barkley may have been right with the whole “bus driver” argument.
Book is our bus driver. I'd rather let KD be KD than expect him to be something he's not.

Would be great to have a strong showing tonight with the defense holding up and the shots falling. On the one hand, I do think the offense has been operating well and guys are just missing shots. But down 0-2, it'll be tough for Monty to stay with TC and Okogie if they're not at least making that corner 3. WIsh we could see some of what Okogie flashed at times during the season going off the dribble and drawing fouls at the rim.

I'm hopeful Cam can regain his form as a starter. He's played well in that role and I hope Monty doesn't have a short leash with him unless he's just imploding or something. We need him and if he's playing well, hopefully Shamet stays on the bench.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I kind of think we may see a lineup butchery tonight. Yes, I know that guys like Payne, Shamet, and Okogie aren't giving us much. But I bet they'd almost all play better at home. Throwing guys out there like TJ Warren and Ross who have barely played any minutes in a Suns uniform smacks of desperation IMO. I think one of the biggest "adjustments" we can benefit from in this game is just playing on our home floor in front of our own fans. I think I would stick with Okogie, Lee, and Payne for most of our guard minutes tonight, and I don't think I would go with TJ Warren. Maybe a bit of Ross if needed, but I worry a lot about his defense. The 4 point bench night was an anomaly; solve it with better ball movement, screens, motion, not by undermining everybody's confidence and completely upending the rotation.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori, are you forgetting that towards the end of the regular season, when Monty finally started giving TJ burn, he was playing good ball? I'd even argue he was playing good defense. Arguably our best bench player during that stretch. And then he got abolished back to the bench.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

TOO

Post by TOO »

ShelC wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:32 pm
20/10 for Cam Payne.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.