Would You Replace the Coach?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Poll ended at Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:50 pm

1. Yes, with an established, experienced coach.
55%
2. Yes, with Chris Paul as an trial player-coach next season.
5%
3. No. I'd give Monty more time.
40%

Total votes: 20

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

the Suns were doomed by the very high probability of injury to one or more of their 4 injury prone stars -- and Monty's weaknesses. I like him, he deserved the coaching award for the good will and culture he brought to the team, but, imo, he'll never be playoff savvy and he can no longer motivate and lead this team:

1.he's being out-strategized (evident in the last 2 blowouts in the Dallas series and this Denver series, and Bucks collapse). While the opposing coaches looked involved and animated this year, Monty just looked worried sitting on the bench during play.
2. lack of play calling in crunch time, leading to Booker ball. When teams know Book is controlling the ball they can control him. He's only unstoppable when he's hot and in the game flow. (unlike some other superstars who can still be physically overpowering like Jokic, Embiid, Giannis, or rely on consistent cat-like skills like Jordan, Kobe, Morant, etc..)
3. Monty naively said at the start of these playoffs, "when you've got Durant and Booker you can give them the ball and let them figure it out." As if Durant (and Harden and Kyrie and others) didn't fail over and over playing hero-ball alongside other superstars. Durant won within the Warriors SYSTEM. Jordan won within the Bulls system. Kobe and Shack too -- under Phil Jackson's team system.
4. lack of being able to motivate Ayton (which may be impossible for anyone but you have to wonder why he couldn't get Ayton to attack the rim more instead of settling for jump shots. Was he over focusing on keeping Ayton out of foul trouble?)

we're cash strapped, but it's likely to hurt more than help to sacrifice to get out of Ayton and Paul's contract. And replacing Monty with an established coach is expensive even if one can be found. So my radical solution is to:

1. Work a deal with Paul to divert most of his salary to taking over the coaching position with the option to also play (during some 4 quarters, when his IQ is still valuable). Unlike Nash, Paul has both a high offensive and defensive mind-set.

2. instead of getting garbage or nothing for Ayton let Paul have a crack at him for one season. Ayton did credit Paul with his turnaround 2 years ago and perhaps he still respects Paul more than Monty.

Split T

Re: Would You Replace the Coach?

Post by Split T »

I’m pretty sure player coaches are not allowed

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Becky Hammon

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 2:06 pm
I’m pretty sure player coaches are not allowed
You are correct... It's not allowed anymore. Not since the 70's.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Depends on what is available, you don't make a change just to do so, but also Monty lost me after the 21 finals. So, maybe?
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Grant Nelson or Tyler Kolek.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Tyrone Lue if he becomes available.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 7:03 pm
Tyrone Lue if he becomes available.
My choice as well

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

I thought i recalled i recalled Magic being considered for being a player coach in the 90's? I know he did coach the Lakers for part of a season.

But if it is not possible, Paul coaching would still serve the purpose of both getting Paul off the books and replacing Monty. I don't know if Paul aspires to coach but he would surely be a good candidate for a team in the future.

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

I'd support Becky Hammon too.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

I think Nick Nurse, at least by reputation, is probably a better pure Xs and Os guy than Williams. I know the perception is that he lost his team in Toronto over the last couple of years and he's not a "player's coach" but that might be a little overblown. At any rate, I think right now the team needs to go for a proven coach with a track record in the playoffs, and he's that. If he's only here for the next 3-4 years, well, that's about what the window for this core is going to be anyways.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Earl Watson
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 9:10 pm
Earl Watson
Only if his assistant is Lindsay Hunter.
"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

... who would be assisted by Terry Porter

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:33 pm
Who would hand the reigns to 2x Suns MVP... Steve Nash!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

Tyrone Lue - By far the best coach we’ve come across in the last few years and gets his role players playing better than anyone I know. We will need our role players to really step up if we are going KD & Book heavy for the next 2/3 years and I don’t see Monty able to do that.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

i'd only consider replacing monty if there was clearly somoene better suited to our core group and we had the players to run their preferred system else it's a fail

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:46 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:33 pm
Who would hand the reigns to 2x Suns MVP... Steve Nash!
Wasn’t KD one of the reasons he lost his last job? 😂

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Lue would be amazing, but why would the Clips let him go?

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

ok, now that Monty's out, here's another creative, double solution. I don't know why Lue's name has come up with 2 years left on his contract with our rival, BUT if he is interested a path to making it happen would be...

offer the Clips Ayton
we get rid of Ayton's contract and upgrade our coach at the same time

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

1tinsoldier wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 5:36 pm
ok, now that Monty's out, here's another creative, double solution. I don't know why Lue's name has come up with 2 years left on his contract with our rival, BUT if he is interested a path to making it happen would be...

offer the Clips Ayton
we get rid of Ayton's contract and upgrade our coach at the same time
I have heard of offering CP3 to go back to the Clippers in a swap for Lue.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass