2023 Free Agency Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: 2023 Free Agency Thread

Post by ShelC »

Derrick Rose to Memphis.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I am surprised that a top 6 pick with a bunch of promise never got to a second contract. To that end I think Ayton at least succeeded. But I also didn’t follow his situation closed enough to know about professionalism issues. What were his problems? I’d like to think that we can offer him the full backup role and have Eubanks as the third string. But I imagine someone will come in and take a shot at him for more than the minimum. I just think that we need more size and rim deterrence and generally speaking more big bodies to throw at Jokic. I love Biyombo but if we are in a period or reassessment maybe we can back up Ayton with more than a couple of 6’8 guys.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:05 pm
Derrick Rose to Memphis.
Does he have any game left?
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Might be one of the worst role models for Ja

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think his body can hold up anymore. He'll look good for a few games, then miss 5.

pickle

Post by pickle »

With Schroeder off the board, wonder if we could somehow manage to get Dennis Smith Jr.

carey

Post by carey »

Is my guy, Yuta, confirmed?

Stupid money for Kyrie. But I get why the Mavs would do it. Still think he’s a bad fit there.

Good for Cam J.!

I’ll say this about Rich Paul. If you’re one of his guys and you’re decent he will get you over market. If you’re Nerlens Noel? Oops.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yes Yuta is confirmed

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Gotta say, that was nearly a perfect start to free agency for us. Not much to criticize at all.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

These are the guys this team lacked the past few years.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Who is the starting Yuta or Diop at the 4?

carey

Post by carey »

KDB prob. Yuta is more of a SF but can give you occasional minutes at PF like Cam J. Tho I guess we started Cam J there a while so who knows.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I’d lean to KBD starting right now.

I still think we might have an Ayton move coming. I’m not convinced we’re not shopping him still.

Split T

Post by Split T »

There’s still time, but my only thing keeping this from an A+ is not getting Trendon Watford. That and I think I would’ve preferred a different guard than Damian Lee and I would’ve passed on Ish. But they are basically our 12th men, so hard to be too upset.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Great start to FA. I'm not sure I would have opted for Eubanks over Jock but love the Yuta n KBD pickups. I also really liked resigning Okogie. Him n Jock are the two from last yr I wanted bk the most. We need 1 more floor spacer. As others have said would of loved Watford.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:51 pm
There’s still time, but my only thing keeping this from an A+ is not getting Trendon Watford. That and I think I would’ve preferred a different guard than Damian Lee and I would’ve passed on Ish. But they are basically our 12th men, so hard to be too upset.
Isn't Lee boys with Booker? Might be reason why..
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

The Suns account for 15% of all free agent agreements so far.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I would hope that's the case. They had 8 guys under contract going into the day.
Last edited by Flagrant Fowl on Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Pretty happy with our FA signings so far. It's weird that we sort of have a two-SG starting lineup and a two-PG bench. Not sure about that. Also our bench looks a little undersized overall at PF/C. Also a little worried about bench defense. A LOT better than our bench this past season, though.

Having a Big 3 and a perception as a title contender really helps in getting guys to sign for small dollar contracts. In a weird way, having 3-4 max guys and no cap space is almost a blessing in disguise because you don't end up having these guys con you into $10-20m/year deals that are big overpays. You just pay your stars and give everybody else the scraps. Guys either want to play for you (for cheap) or they don't. The negotiations are simple.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Early thoughts on the rotation:

There’s 4 clear guys in the rotation with Book, KD, Beal, and Ayton. I’d guess we see Eubanks as the backup 5. I also imagine KBD and Yuta take most of the wing minutes available(3 and 4), but I also imagine we see some 3 guard lineups with Book at the 3. Payne/Goodwin/Okogie take the bench guard minutes.

The 5th starter spot is still up for grabs, but I’d lean towards it being KBD.

Book/Beal/Bates-Diop/Durant/Ayton
Payne/Goodwin/Okogie/Yuta/Eubanks

It’s kinda good, no? Pretty solid playoff rotation(top 8) and good regular season depth(top 10). The deep bench is a little weak but perhaps we aren’t done.

1. Book
2. KD
3. Beal
4. Ayton
5. KBD
6. Yuta
7. Payne
8. Eubanks
9. Goodwin
10. Okogie
11. Metu
12. Lee
13. Ish
14. Todd

2-way - Camara
2-way -
2-way -

I feel like maybe one more guy in that 5-7 range would’ve been nice, but really hard to complain too much. Also there’s still time and there are some guys out there that would fit the bill.