How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 7:38 pm
I don’t think the Ayton decision comes down to the new coach. His time has passed. I don’t think Booker or KD want him here.
That’s what we heard last summer about Book. :lol: I wouldn’t put much stock in that.

But if the reports are true from Gambo that Monty did not want to keep Ayton and wanted Turner instead, then Sarver and Jones really messed up last summer. You can’t just force a guy to coach a player he doesn’t want (especially your second leading scorer). They needed to choose between Monty or Ayton. Failing to do so obviously did not work.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Me and Monty both I guess

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 7:57 pm
Split T wrote:
I don’t think the Ayton decision comes down to the new coach. His time has passed. I don’t think Booker or KD want him here.
That’s what we heard last summer about Book. :lol: I wouldn’t put much stock in that.

But if the reports are true from Gambo that Monty did not want to keep Ayton and wanted Turner instead, then Sarver and Jones really messed up last summer. You can’t just force a guy to coach a player he doesn’t want (especially your second leading scorer). They needed to choose between Monty or Ayton. Failing to do so obviously did not work.
Well, Ayton gets some of the blame, too. But he may get another bite at this. All depends on how good or bad the offers coming in will be.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

It’s interesting because I know James Jones has always liked Ayton way more than Monty has, so the decision on Ayton could come down to whether Jones is retained or not—or how Ishbia feels about Ayton (which we really don’t know).
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

The biggest mistake James made was his typical mistake- doing absolutely Jack shit.

I wish I could be the Suns GM and get paid to sit on my hands.

He sat there all off-season, wasn’t proactive in finding a sign and trade partner and let DA find a max offer that he had no choice but to match. It was the worst possible outcome for the Suns.

He should have traded DA last offseason.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 8:33 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

The biggest mistake James made was his typical mistake- doing absolutely Jack shit.

I wish I could be the Suns GM and get paid to sit on my hands.

He sat there all off-season, wasn’t proactive in finding a sign and trade partner and let DA find a max offer that he had no choice but to match. It was the worst possible outcome for the Suns.

He should have traded DA last offseason.
Imagine how we would have looked had Jones pulled the trigger on Eric Gordon

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Not much different if Paul still gets injured and Ayton sleepwalks half of the time.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

With Ja facing a big suspension, and Grizzlies is serious need of a veteran leader what about this Rosterbation?

Grizzlies: CP3, Mark Williams

Hornets: Ayton, Tyus Jones, Zaire Williamson

Suns: Rozier, Hayward, Steve Adams

Grizzlies do it because CP would immediately help change their culture, and be a great mentor to all of the grizzlies young players, including Ja. CP would maximize all of the grizzlies weapons and be a solid stop gap until Ja comes back. Plus with Bane’s pending big extension, CP is a 30 million expiring contract, they can get off of after a year or potentially trade for assets to a team that wants 30 million off the books. Williams is good young, athletic big with potential, that can fill many of the responsibilities that Steven Adams had at a very cheap cost.

Hornets do it because, I think they get better. They get younger with good players that fit their timeline, players that were apart if winning cultures. Ayton and LaMelo would killer pick and roll combo and add in their potential top 3 pick, they could compete for a playin spot. Even if they got Wemby, I think him and Ayton would be a great front court combo, it’ll allow Wemby to take a couple years to fill out his frame before becoming a full time center.

We do it because our starting lineup is set and legit upgrade over last years: Rozier-Book-Hayward-KD-Adams would be fantastic. I would look to move Hayward to the bench to headline that and use the TPMLE get another good player.

I hate to say it but getting Dillon Brooks in this situation might not be the most terrible idea and he probably played himself into a vet min contract, and maybe you can use TPMLE to get Naz Reid or Brook Lopez with the promise of a starting job then fill out the roster with hopefully solid vet minimum guys.

But this is a good starting point for a roster.

Rozier-Book-Brooks-KD-Reid

Payne-Hayward-Adams

Allows us to play big or play small ball with KD at the 5.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I get where you're coming from, but if I'm the Grizzlies who're expecting Morant to miss a decent number of games, I'd rather have Tyus Jones than Chris Paul.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Ishbones has to be prioritizing PG immediately after finding a coach. The pool is much larger if they can somehow land a Ty Lue hiring. I'd even be comfortable with a guy like Schroder getting most of the PG minutes IF he's coached by Lue.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

VanVleet...

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Could be him if they figure out a way to move Ayton in the process.

carey

Post by carey »

I know it's blasphemy to say or think, but we should do what LAL did. They have two stars, one older. They surrounded them with defense and shooting instead of going for that big 3rd star to pair with them. Of course it all hinged on AD staying healthy which he largely has this postseason.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:11 pm
VanVleet...
Dude shoots like 39% from the field.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

carey wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:23 pm
I know it's blasphemy to say or think, but we should do what LAL did. They have two stars, one older. They surrounded them with defense and shooting instead of going for that big 3rd star to pair with them. Of course it all hinged on AD staying healthy which he largely has this postseason.
It's really not blasphemous. It's the best strategy.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Terry Rozier seems a bit more likely to be on the Suns than he did yesterday with the Hornets in the drivers seat to take Scoot Henderson at #2.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

How desperate would the Nets be about unloading Simmons?

Does an Ayton + CP3 (to be waived) offer to take on Simmons, would entice them to send us Claxton and Dinwiddie alongside? Add Payne or Shamet (please lord, let it be Shamet) to round up the salaries and we get

Spencer / Booker / KD / Claxton, with Simmons coming from the bench to restore him slowly, as taking a $35mill bet on him becoming half the player he used to be is still 6th man of the year material, and playing against lesser competition could be all he needs (or coming next summer, flip him for whatever you can, as he is one year less obscenely awful contract)

I know it’s looks very lateral if Simmons turns out a complete albatross, but we get younger at both spots, CP3 is no longer a starting caliber PG and Claxton could be just what we need at C. Perhaps we can get some draft compensation to balance it even more. If KD, having shared the locker with Ben, says he is salvageable, go for it, all the opposite if he was indeed a major reason to depart (No doubt Simmons health played a role, but KD has the best possible input about the real attitude problems)

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think I’d want Dinwiddie…I’d rather have another wing like Royce O’Neale. Brooklyn didn’t show any interest in Ayton before though, so not sure they would now. But maybe they’re more desperate to get off Simmons than I think.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

The time to get Simmons was during the KD trade… I was hoping we could have used him to negotiate NOT sending the next decades picks or bridges, but oh well.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Kryptonic wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:41 am
The time to get Simmons was during the KD trade… I was hoping we could have used him to negotiate NOT sending the next decades picks or bridges, but oh well.
Would’ve been tricky as we would’ve had to dump Ayton on them to make the salaries work. Would’ve left us very thin…of course we ended up that thin anyways.

I don’t think I want to touch Simmons. Though I’d probably just ask KD what he thinks after playing with him.