How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:09 am
I guess I’m not the only one who thinks CP3 could be waived and still play here for less than 30 million. Video also gives some info that maybe Ayton isn’t leaving…

I said 65% chance of Ayton staying, with the Vogel hire I would now put it at about 75%. Like I said before, they aren’t giving him away just to get rid of him. A team would have to blow them away with an offer.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

If Ayton is staying, I hope Ishbia will invest in upgrading the big man assistant. Shaq? ;) Or at least someone better than what DA has had so far.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:14 am
If Ayton is staying, I hope Ishbia will invest in upgrading the big man assistant. Shaq? ;) Or at least someone better than what DA has had so far.
DAs problem is not his coach. It’s his lack of testicular fortitude and any desire whatsoever to be great. He has all the tools. He lacks the want. Can’t coach that.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Remember when everyone said that Ayton is definitely not Ishbia's type of player?

Zach Lowe: "I've heard Mat Ishbia has a fondness for Deandre Ayton. I'm not sure how true that is, but I heard he likes his game."

Split T

Post by Split T »

They want it out there that they might be willing to keep him…drive the price up

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:32 am
But you can’t renegotiate to make a players salary lower…. Dumb.
Weird that the Player's Association doesn't want you lowering players' salaries. ;)
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:18 pm
They want it out there that they might be willing to keep him…drive the price up
James Jones has always liked him. Sarver soured on him when he wanted a max extension and DA blamed the contract problems on Sarver, and has had no issues with the organization overall (he's happy in Phoenix and reiterated that at the exit interview last month). Monty did not like him.

Now we still have Jones, and we have some indications that Ishbia and Vogel like him. I would not bet on him being traded. Booker may or may not prefer he's traded, but it appears Ishbia is not letting Booker run the team. Oh and DA still has a no-trade clause until mid-July.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We’ll see…I’m most worried about how the players feel. Ayton never seemed to be giving it his all last season.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

So basically our 2024 championship hopes rest on JeremyG being right about Ayton and Chris Paul staying healthy.

"CAN'T WAIT!."
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:51 pm
So basically our 2024 championship hopes rest on JeremyG being right about Ayton and Chris Paul staying healthy.

"CAN'T WAIT!."
Even a broken clock is right twice a day…. Hope he’s right 😉

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:

"CAN'T WAIT!."
:D
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:26 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:18 pm
James Jones has always liked him. Sarver soured on him when he wanted a max extension and DA blamed the contract problems on Sarver, and has had no issues with the organization overall (he's happy in Phoenix and reiterated that at the exit interview last month). Monty did not like him.

Now we still have Jones, and we have some indications that Ishbia and Vogel like him. I would not bet on him being traded. Booker may or may not prefer he's traded, but it appears Ishbia is not letting Booker run the team. Oh and DA still has a no-trade clause until mid-July.
I'll be the happiest Suns fan there is if they can turn Ayton back into 2021 Ayton. Ah, back when the future seemed so positive...
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:

"CAN'T WAIT!."
Probably the largest chance of this outcome would be if CP3 suffered his yearly injury earlier in the season, like in December 2023, and then sat until April and came back super fresh for the playoffs. If he plays all season, he'll be worn down and will tear something during the playoffs.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:20 pm
INFORMER wrote:

"CAN'T WAIT!."
Probably the largest chance of this outcome would be if CP3 suffered his yearly injury earlier in the season, like in December 2023, and then sat until April and came back super fresh for the playoffs. If he plays all season, he'll be worn down and will tear something during the playoffs.
He did that last year with the broken thumb and still wore down in the playoffs. Can't say I'm confident in his ability to hold up at all anymore.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:

"CAN'T WAIT!."
The second part would scare me. If we keep Paul, we definitely need to add another capable point guard. Still hoping for a CP3 trade, but it's sounding more likely that we could keep him around.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I want Shake Milton

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mat Ishbia on Burns & Gambo, regarding Paul and Ayton:
"You know, honestly, James Jones handles all that stuff. I'm gonna be involved and get his opinions on it. We have not had a bunch of conversations around that stuff right now. First off, Chris Paul is an ultimate winner, one of the best point guards ever to play. Deandre Ayton, is an up-and-coming star--he's already a star, but could be a superstar. Like I love those guys and I think very highly of them. Now with that being said, we have to have all of those conversations and understand the overall construct of our team with our head coach, with our organization, and all pieces, and that's not just those guys, everybody through the organization. But we haven't gone through those conversations yet. What we're focusing on right now is getting the best coaching staff around."

TOO

Post by TOO »

What I read here, the only people that I can guarantee won't be moved are KD/Booker. Everyone else is being evaluated.

Wish I had more faith in the FO to maximize a return in any sort of deal.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Grant Nelson or Tyler Kolek.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Deandre Ayton, is an up-and-coming star (maybe)--he's already a star (false), but could be a superstar (someone PLEASE offer superstar value for him).
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Perhaps Ishbia's hesitation in his answer was due more to CP3 than Ayton.