How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Post by Shabazz »

Thread for trade ideas and rosterbation...
Last edited by Shabazz on Sat May 13, 2023 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

virtual9mm

Re: How Would You Rebuild the Suns

Post by virtual9mm »

Basically auction Ayton to see who would bite. Either eat the CP3 financial hit or dangle him for another team to waive and stretch.

For me, the key would be trading one underperforming star (Ayton) for another player with star potential plus role players. You won't get another possibility of adding star power once Ayton is gone.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

For CP, I think Chicago and Washington could be interested for basketball reasons, but I'm having a hard time constructing a viable trade.

I think Charlotte makes the most sense for me, with Rozier+ coming back.
There's the Clippers for Powell and Covington.
A reunion with New Orleans (they really need a proper PG) makes some sense, but Nance and Jonas would have to come back for the money to work.

Otherwise, Paul's value is from a team looking to shed long term salary. I'm not sure who those are yet.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think my favorite combo of moves is

Ayton to Atlanta for Capela and Hunter (if we could squeeze Jalen Johnson in there, awesome. Ditto if we could get Okongwu instead of Capela)
Paul and Landry to Charlotte for Rozier, Cody Martin, and Nick Richards (if they win the Wemby sweepstakes) or Kai Jones (if they don't).
(those 2 trades shave off about $10M from the payroll)

Bring back TJ Warren, Okogie and Jock (all at the minimum)
Sign Trey Lyles and Shake Milton by splitting the TPMLE (Lyles get's $4M, Milton $2.5)
Torrey Craig depends on price
Justice Winslow and/or Oshae Brissett at the minimum

That leaves us with

PG: Rozier, Payne
SG, Booker, Milton, Okogie
SF: D. Hunter, Cody Martin, Warren
PF: Durant, Lyles, Brissett/Winslow
C: Capela, Jock, Kai Jones

1 open roster spot and Saben as one of the 2-ways.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I spent some time on RealGM and perceptions of Ayton are highly polarized. Which means that the Suns ate going to get a few really rich offers for him even if everyone else hates him. Hard to say no to Mitchell Robinson and 3 FRPs.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewto ... &t=2289188

Of course, fans aren't calling the shots but we've seen crazier things.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’ve flirted with a bunch of different variations. Ultimately I think we just need to get as many versatile 2-way players as possible. We had guys who could shoot/score and we had guys who could defend, but we really didn’t have any reliable guys that could do both.

How about Ayton/Shamet to Charlotte for Hayward/Richards.
Waive and stretch CP3
Split MLE between Divencenzo and Lyles
BAE on Curry.
Bring back Jock.

Divencenzo/Booker/Hayward/KD/Richards
Payne/Curry/Lyles/Jock

Fill the rest with Vet min guys.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 7:08 pm
I’ve flirted with a bunch of different variations. Ultimately I think we just need to get as many versatile 2-way players as possible. We had guys who could shoot/score and we had guys who could defend, but we really didn’t have any reliable guys that could do both.

Waive and stretch CP3
Split MLE between Divencenzo and Lyles
BAE on Curry.
Bring back Jock.

Divencenzo/Booker/Hayward/KD/Richards
Payne/Curry/Lyles/Jock

Fill the rest with Vet min guys.
Who are the defenders in that group?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well admittedly I focused more on offensive players who aren’t bad defenders, but I like Divencenzo on defense. Hayward was a solid defender, though I can’t say I’ve watched him recently. I thought Lyles was pretty good against the Warriors. He’s not a bad defensive player.

mjwang92

Post by mjwang92 »

I make sure it’s very well known that 1)Ayton is available, and 2)I’m listening to offers on Paul as well. Not sure what I may get for those 2. Okogie OR Craig on dirt cheap for END of bench. Ish gotta go. Don’t know why Ross was brought on. I realize Book and KD are great, but I don’t think it’s realistic to replace everyone but those 2. How do we get Draymond on like a 2 year deal? I’m thinking win now obviously. What point guards will be available? The roster definitely needs to be built in win now mode. Got about a 2-3 year window hopefully with KD and Book at least. In need of 3 and D wings please. Something with coaching staff as well. Assistant changes? Maybe bring back Landale on the cheap? A lot of this will all hinge on trade offers…

England Sun

Re: How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Post by England Sun »

Suns strengths-
Booker
KD

Suns other keepers -
Landale
TJ
Payne (if he can keep up that refound play)
Okogie - Another off season of development will help.

Areas in need of focus -
I’d go new coach, but understand those who’d stand pat.

Any kind of real depth.

Rebounding big, who can ideally switch and pressure the perimeter, as we will have to get through Denver the next couple of years. (Not Ayton)

Point guard who can spread the floor a bit and assist where needed. Also, can play with some pace. (Not Paul, they probably go KI)

3 point threat/s who’s consistent and can actually defend a bit. (Not Shamet, not Ross,)

So, starting 5 would be -
New
Booker
New
KD
New

Bench-
Payne
Okogie
Landale
Tj
New
New
New
New
New
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 5:59 pm
Ayton to Atlanta for Capela and Hunter (if we could squeeze Jalen Johnson in there, awesome. Ditto if we could get Okongwu instead of Capela)
You're not getting Hunter in an Ayton deal. I think Atlanta only offers the combo of John Collins and Clint Capela.

Shabazz wrote:
Paul and Landry to Charlotte for Rozier, Cody Martin, and Nick Richards (if they win the Wemby sweepstakes) or Kai Jones (if they don't).
Charlotte and maybe Chicago are the only teams I could imagine trading for Paul. I think there is a good chance the Suns get Rozier, either in an Ayton deal or a Paul deal.
Shabazz wrote:
Sign Trey Lyles and Shake Milton by splitting the TPMLE (Lyles get's $4M, Milton $2.5)
I kind of feel like Trey Lyles isn't really worth pursuing. Yeah he has decent stretch ability, but he really doesn't do it at a high enough volume and doesn't do anything else.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Why Hayward? I feel like we can go ahead and make the posts now, "We would have won the series if Hayward would have been healthy."

If you're dealing Ayton to Charlotte, it needs to involve Rozier and Mark Williams.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If I'm dealing with Atlanta, I want Trae Young. They seem about ready to move on from him. Let's give them Ayton and CP3 and other sweeteners for Trae and Capela, or Trae plus whomever suits your fancy.

Trae isn't a great defender, but I think he's a diminished asset right now. The guy is capable of doing a poor man's Curry impression, he can score you 30 points and get you 10+ assists, and he's actually available. Not many guys you can say all of those things about.

TOO

Post by TOO »

He also dribbles the air outta the ball and isn't a good shooter for as many terrible long 3s he takes. Trae is not the type of PG Book and KD need, they need a dude like Brogdon, hit the open 3, play good defense etc.

Brogdon and Time Lord. *drools*
Last edited by TOO on Sat May 13, 2023 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 10:42 am
Split T wrote:
Why Hayward? I feel like we can go ahead and make the posts now, "We would have won the series if Hayward would have been healthy."

If you're dealing Ayton to Charlotte, it needs to involve Rozier and Mark Williams.
Williams or Duren from Charlotte or Detroit are musts if either of them get involved in the Ayton sweepstakes.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Wendell-Carter for Ayton?
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Democritus wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 11:21 am
That deal does nothing for Orlando. WCJ gives you comparable production at half the cost.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 11:00 am
If I'm dealing with Atlanta, I want Trae Young. They seem about ready to move on from him. Let's give them Ayton and CP3 and other sweeteners for Trae and Capela, or Trae plus whomever suits your fancy.

Trae isn't a great defender, but I think he's a diminished asset right now. The guy is capable of doing a poor man's Curry impression, he can score you 30 points and get you 10+ assists, and he's actually available. Not many guys you can say all of those things about.
Atlanta isn't doing that. They could get three first round picks for Trae plus 2-3 starters.

Ayton+CP3+sweeteners? The Suns don't have any sweeteners.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 10:42 am
Split T wrote:

Just think he fits nicely between Book and KD. He can hold up defensively. He can shoot, he can handle and playmake a bit. But you’re right that it gives us another even less reliable guy health wise. Probably not worth it.

I thought about Rozier as well. I’d be cool with that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Democritus wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 11:21 am
I got real excited about an Ayton for WCJ trade last year before we matched Ayton’s deal. But I pretty well convinced myself it couldn’t happen while researching it. WCJ is just a better player and much cheaper. Also doesn’t come with the expectations of being the star. He’d be awesome though here.