How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: How Would You Rebuild the Suns?

Post by Wally_West »

Blazers- OG Anunoby, Deandre Ayton

Raps- Anfernee Simons, Sheadon Sharpe, 26th pick from blazers (Via Knicks), 2 2nds from Suns.

Suns- 3rd pick (Scoot), Nurkic, Thad Young, Christian Koloko

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:27 pm

Raps- Anfernee Simons, Sheadon Sharpe, 26th pick from blazers (Via Knicks), 2 2nds from Suns.

That’s a lot of ballast to take on to just get Scoot. Thad Young is dead salary.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:30 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:27 pm

That’s a lot of ballast to take on to just get Scoot. Thad Young is dead salary.
I think Scoot is a future superstar, him and Book would extend our championship window for the next decade so I’d be willing eat horrible contracts for the short term for that.

TOO

Post by TOO »

That's waaaay too much from the Blazers.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya they aren’t trading Sharpe. Maybe they do Simons and 3, but Toronto is taking 3 if they are trading OG

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Suns aren't taking on a high level rookie right now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Name your top Free Agent recruits with the Full Mid Level Exception- $10 million+/yr up to 4 years.

I’ll go first:
Bruce Brown Jr
Harrison Barnes
Brook Lopez

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

So looks like Paul's salary is about to get resolved with the stretch...the next candidate on that list, if we're going to make a leap of faith of retaining DA is how do we free up more cap space, to me is Shamet. I can't get over that contract for what we got in return...how do we flush this and free up the $10M?
Last edited by Vladimir_Taltos on Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:57 pm
Name your top Free Agent recruits with the Full Mid Level Exception- $10 million+/yr up to 4 years.

I’ll go first:
Bruce Brown Jr
Harrison Barnes
Brook Lopez
I’ll add Naz Reid. I’d also be willing to split it between two guys and go after someone like Donte Divencenzo.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

I look at Shamet's stats and I'm trying to figure out what he seems to...I don't know how to politely describe his usual massive lack of impact..but his stats don't seem necessarily to suck as bad as I thought they would (well, his 2 point % is abysmal...)...am I not giving him a fair shake?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shamet is both not as bad as most people think and not nearly worth his salary.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shamet is just very mediocre. Isn’t awful at anything but doesn’t do anything at an above average level.

Average shooter, average defender, average ball mover. Seems to have a good understanding of what he’s supposed to do…just can’t always make it happen. I think Monty loved him for his basketball IQ. Reminds me a little of Frank. He always seemed to make the right play as well…just was limited physically.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

His finishing at the rim makes Josh Jackson blush.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If we do waive and stretch CP3, I like making trades with Washington. Gotta think they go into rebuild mode and they might want Ayton.

Ayton/Shamet for Kuzma/Gafford/Wright

Wright/Booker/Kuzma/KD/Gafford

Then you’d have the MLE, BAE, TPE, and vet min exceptions to fill out the bench. Or find a 5th starter and move Wright to the bench.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Word is the new GM is looking to rebuild. One thing to consider about Kyle Kuzma: he needs the ball in his hands and he shoots a low percentage from 3. I don't think that is a good fit with Book and KD.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He did win a championship with Vogel in LA…though he was really bad the next year against us in the playoffs.

Kuzma isn’t perfect by any means(I would prefer Jerami Grant, but doubt he’s available), but he’s talented. He played good defense with Vogel in LA, he’s big, he can rebound, and he can score if need be.

Ya he probably needs/wants the ball more than you’d like, but his playmaking has also improved and Booker/KD are two of the best off ball scorers in the league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I do think they'll be looking for certain types of vets. Dunno if Kuzma is ready for that yet, need total buy in because you're never gonna be higher than 3rd fiddle here for the next 2-3 years or so.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:32 am
He did win a championship with Vogel in LA…though he was really bad the next year against us in the playoffs.

Kuzma isn’t perfect by any means(I would prefer Jerami Grant, but doubt he’s available), but he’s talented. He played good defense with Vogel in LA, he’s big, he can rebound, and he can score if need be.

Ya he probably needs/wants the ball more than you’d like, but his playmaking has also improved and Booker/KD are two of the best off ball scorers in the league.
I just think you have to be very careful with the type of big dollar, long term deals you get into going forward. The new CBA is very unforgiving, and the Suns just don't have the margin for error if they miss on a high-priced free agent.

Kuzma is talented and certainly wouldn't be a terrible addition; I just don't know if it would be prudent, and the Suns have done enough things that are not prudent.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That’s fair…but what’s the alternative? Ayton is also a high priced player that doesn’t seem to fit. There may be better options on what to do with Ayton, but we’ll have to see.

Split T

Post by Split T »

My other thought with Portland…there was that ridiculous talk about getting the 3rd pick for Ayton, but they also have another 1st rounder. What if we could do something built around the 23rd pick?

Nurkic/Simons/23 for Ayton/Shamet?

The 23 would be to take on the Nurkic deal.