2023 Coaching Search

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2023 Coaching Search

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:35 pm
Basically every unemployed coach and current assistant coach is a realistic option, but we have no frame of reference with how Ishbia thinks or who's in his ear besides Isaiah Thomas.
No. Only championship coaches need apply.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Mark Jackson is apparently interviewing for the Bucks job. Could he be an option if they pass?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think the Knicks were in the Finals the last time Frank Isola was a reliable source.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:50 pm
Mark Jackson is apparently interviewing for the Bucks job. Could he be an option if they pass?
Hell no. I'll be shocked if he gets any job, been out like 10yrs, had that no gays allowed in my locker room quote etc.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

TOO wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 2:14 pm
SunsSince92 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:50 pm
Hell no. I'll be shocked if he gets any job, been out like 10yrs, had that no gays allowed in my locker room quote etc.
Yeah, I wouldn't want him either but I'm curious as to whether he might make the shortlist.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Isola's stirring the pot with that. But Isiah as some kind of "special advisor" is what I'm looking out for. That could be a prelude to an official role. If Isiah were smart he'd stick to his TV gig and just advise on the side with no publicity. But he's an ego maniac who wants back in. Thinks he's always gotten a raw deal everywhere he's been.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Kinda felt that way about Budz, he's from AZ so the connection is there but he feels stale. I don't really think the Lue thing is feasible but where there's smoke there's fire. The Clips have no obligation to let him go, especially to a WC rival unless they're thinking they can get compensation and bring someone else in who's solid like Monty, Budz, Vogel or Nurse (with the Kawhi connection).

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

So Bud and Nurse are out? Ty Lue or bust?

Isiah Thomas???

Split T

Post by Split T »

I do wonder what the Clippers plans are. If Lue isn’t in their long term plans, they may want to strike now. A few pretty good options available.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Curious how long this coach search is going to take. Are they holding out in case one of the final 4 coaches in the playoffs get axed?

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s been less than 48 hours so far. I think they’ll take their time to get the right guy. It’ll especially take a bit if that guy is Ty Lue

Split T

Post by Split T »

I also don’t think any of the current playoff coaches are in danger. Maybe Mazzula, but I’d have zero interest in him.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Haven’t heard much smoke about Vogel. I wonder how serious of a candidate he is.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Yeah, that's kind of weird. Vogel hasn't been linked to anyone, so maybe he's just enjoying collecting checks for a while?

Watch this summer turn into a long and drawn out pursuit of Ty Lue that doesn't happen in the same way the KD trade didn't happen last summer.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

I actually think if we don't get Lue or Nurse than this is a huge mistake. You could have just brought in an assistant that does Xs and Os. Then traded Ayton for depth.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

I can't see it as a mistake if your key players sign off on it, also if your max C and him were constantly bumping heads maybe it was for the best no matter the outcome.

Admittedly I'm not a Monty guy, I was ready for the change, just didn't see it happening because Sarver/JJ are spineless.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You can probably do better than Monty. But there are plenty of worse coaches in the NBA. I don't want to take the time, but if somebody wants to post the list of all NBA coaches, it would be interesting to rank which ones we think Monty was better / worse than. I bet he's above average. So there is definitely potential for Ishbia to fuck this up. He could hire Isiah Thomas or somebody horrible like that. I really hope he's smarter than that.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:14 pm
I don't want to take the time, but if somebody wants to post the list of all NBA coaches, it would be interesting to rank which ones we think Monty was better / worse than. I bet he's above average.
This is exactly what myself and others have said for at least the past year.

We haven't put together a single post of every coach, but the general consensus is exactly where you put him.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 10:21 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:14 pm
I don't want to take the time, but if somebody wants to post the list of all NBA coaches, it would be interesting to rank which ones we think Monty was better / worse than. I bet he's above average.
This is exactly what myself and others have said for at least the past year.

We haven't put together a single post of every coach, but the general consensus is exactly where you put him.
He’s a great coach and will do well with whatever team he goes to…. But like all coaches, eventually they lose effectiveness with their players and need to move on. Don’t think anyone here hates or dislikes Monty…. Disagree with his decisions, sure!

What I’d love to know… what did he see in shamet that made him play him so much and not Ross or TJ? For me…. I think he lost touch with his team and their abilities.