The Chris Paul Appreciation Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: The Chris Paul Appreciation Thread

Post by O_Gardino »

Chris Paul is 38. I appreciate what he did when he was here, but he isn't the future and I still think the trade was a steal.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Beal isn't the problem.

He's still only 30 and though overpaid has several years of elite ball ahead.

I wouldn't mind flipping KD into a PG/PF return and running book at the 2 and Beal at the 3

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I said it when he left and I'll say it again. Paul was the heart of that team. They don't have that kind of success without his leadership. They were almost automatic when they had a late lead, and now look at them.

Obviously it was a situation where they knew his best days were behind him and if they were going to use his contract to acquire another player, that was the time. But all they managed to to was duplicate the talent they had, acquire a player they can't trade without his consent, burn what few first-round picks they had available to trade, and put themselves in luxury tax hell.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kryptonic wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:52 am
Do we miss him now? Definitely think he’s the voice and ball handling we missed dearly this year.
I absolutely do miss 2021 Chris Paul. But 2024-25 Chris Paul is not that player. I don't know if we're much better off with Beal, but old ass CP3 would not have been the answer. If we had kept CP3 here this year, I don't think he would have been able to provide that same leadership. He would have been hurt, and he wouldn't have been able to play at the same level. His leadership and intangibles wouldn't have been as useful coming from the bench, nor limping up the court at nearly 40 years old.