Suns Summer League 2023

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Kryptonic

Re: Suns Summer League 2023

Post by Kryptonic »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:04 am
Came out in 2020

https://www.proballers.com/basketball/p ... unter-hale

Central Michigan…. Last great sun to come from there was Thunder Dan! 🤞🏻

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Watched a lot of Carr at Minnesota, a little at Texas. Don't get the Pat Bev Davion Mitchell comps at all. This dude is all scoring. Never felt he was anything more than average on D. Real similar to Duane Washington Jr IMO. I'd rate him more of a flamethrower than DWJr but seemed to kind of plateau his final year in school. You always felt Carr could put up 30 in a given night when he was in the Big Ten and that's not a big scoring league. I never felt that way about Washington and I had seen just about as much of him in school too. Just my 2 cents.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:24 pm
Saben Lee should probably play summer league, imo.
If we want to keep him around. I'm fine with letting him try to catch on with another franchise. I don't think there is much, if any, potential there.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

djy2j wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:32 pm
Watched a lot of Carr at Minnesota, a little at Texas. Don't get the Pat Bev Davion Mitchell comps at all. This dude is all scoring. Never felt he was anything more than average on D. Real similar to Duane Washington Jr IMO. I'd rate him more of a flamethrower than DWJr but seemed to kind of plateau his final year in school. You always felt Carr could put up 30 in a given night when he was in the Big Ten and that's not a big scoring league. I never felt that way about Washington and I had seen just about as much of him in school too. Just my 2 cents.
I think he has a little more point guard ability than DWJ, but overall, you're pretty much spot on. I had lukewarm interest in him when he was at Minnesota, but he never seemed to be able to play at a high level consistently.

I thought he was a little better at Texas.

I think he is worth a look in summer league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The summer league team seems to be a step in the right direction. It's improvement from the last couple of years.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m intrigued…6’9 shooter from Germany.

Shot 39% in euroleague last year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

I am cautiously optimistic that at least one of these players will become a "GEM" for us.

They all seem to have the hunger needed to claw into a defined role for us

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He looks good but listed at 6-9 190lbs so strength may be an issue. His father played at UCLA and won the championship in 1975 so the genes are there.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Feeling really good about the team they're putting together. Who knows if anyone will actually amount to something, but the effort is there. This is what has been missing for most of Jones tenure here. Is he finally taking summer league seriously because he has a new boss that doesn't love him? Or is it because the Suns have very little means of improving the roster? Whatever it is, this is a welcomed change.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:43 am
Feeling really good about the team they're putting together. Who knows if anyone will actually amount to something, but the effort is there. This is what has been missing for most of Jones tenure here. Is he finally taking summer league seriously because he has a new boss that doesn't love him? Or is it because the Suns have very little means of improving the roster? Whatever it is, this is a welcomed change.
My first thought is that Ishbia isn't penny pinching on the periphery like Sarver. I'm also not convinced Jones is leading this part of the roster. The Suns hired a lot of new people who'd probably be in charge of finding and putting together a Summer League roster like this, so maybe Jones simply didn't have enough time to put into it under Sarver.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:19 pm
INFORMER wrote:
My first thought is that Ishbia isn't penny pinching on the periphery like Sarver. I'm also not convinced Jones is leading this part of the roster. The Suns hired a lot of new people who'd probably be in charge of finding and putting together a Summer League roster like this, so maybe Jones simply didn't have enough time to put into it under Sarver.
I think that Sarver demphasized scouting, drafting and development, because it wasn't getting the most production for the money spent. He was a bottom line guy, and wanted the Suns to be run by money ball and on the cheap. We all knew this probably from the first offseason when the Colangelo's recommended that he give Joe Johnson the extra $5 million on the total of his contract extension, but he declined. Idk what changed in Sarver's mind, where he finally felt that he should put money into remodeling the building, finally building a practice facility, and loosening the purse strings to allow that JJ goes over the cap, but it kind of benefited the fans...and then he was ousted for an even more financially willing owner to step in.

This is where Ishbia seems to be sincere about improving all aspects of the organization, and includes spending money to do it. I kind of agree that they probably put some of the responsibilities of building parts of the face of the organization, like the Summer League team may have been given to other parties to build. Idk if it was lack of time of Jones, and I think it was due to what it always was...money.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:48 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:19 pm
INFORMER wrote:
I think that Sarver demphasized scouting, drafting and development, because it wasn't getting the most production for the money spent. He was a bottom line guy, and wanted the Suns to be run by money ball and on the cheap. We all knew this probably from the first offseason when the Colangelo's recommended that he give Joe Johnson the extra $5 million on the total of his contract extension, but he declined. Idk what changed in Sarver's mind, where he finally felt that he should put money into remodeling the building, finally building a practice facility, and loosening the purse strings to allow that JJ goes over the cap, but it kind of benefited the fans...and then he was ousted for an even more financially willing owner to step in.

This is where Ishbia seems to be sincere about improving all aspects of the organization, and includes spending money to do it. I kind of agree that they probably put some of the responsibilities of building parts of the face of the organization, like the Summer League team may have been given to other parties to build. Idk if it was lack of time of Jones, and I think it was due to what it always was...money.
You can tell an employee to pursue some interest in his spare time, and the proceed to overload him with new responsibilities and "urgent" stuff.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In this situation, time is money. I can't really knock James Jones for not grinding tape for the Summer League roster with the organization running on a shoestring budget.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:37 pm
In this situation, time is money. I can't really knock James Jones for not grinding tape for the Summer League roster with the organization running on a shoestring budget.
I agree.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

INFORMER wrote:
Nice to see you approving since I don't really know any of these players

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I like that Goodwin and Todd are on the team.