Game Day (Preseason): Blazers (1-2) @ Suns (2-1), Mon 10/16/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Game Day: Blazers (1-2) @ Suns (2-1), Mon 10/16/23

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:00 pm
I really like Goodwin…not sure about him as a pg, but he’s a menace on defense and hustles like crazy
This. It would sure be nice if he could become more of a playmaker.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:00 pm
I really like Goodwin…not sure about him as a pg, but he’s a menace on defense and hustles like crazy
This. It would sure be nice if he could become more of a playmaker.
Put him out there with Beal or Book and his playmaking is good enough.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:59 pm
Ayton didn’t play their last game either…he needs to rest two games in a row? I guess they are resting half their team, but that seems sus to me. Feels like he’s dodging this game.
More likely Billups felt it was unfair to him for his homecoming game to be in the preseason. And their preseason is done--they only played two NBA teams lol.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:08 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:59 pm
Ayton didn’t play their last game either…he needs to rest two games in a row? I guess they are resting half their team, but that seems sus to me. Feels like he’s dodging this game.
More likely Billups felt it was unfair to him for his homecoming game to be in the preseason. And their preseason is done--they only played two NBA teams lol.
Good point. We all know it’s about being fair with Ayton. :P Don’t piss him off. You won’t like him when he’s pouting.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:02 pm
:shock: Chauncy basically saying he's gonna give ayton enough rope...
"He seems to me to have a motivation about him right now that I think is good. ... He believes he can be one of the best centers in the league. I completely believe him. ... I love where he's at right now, his mind space. He had a good summer working out and training, so I'm excited about him."

Interesting that he talks about how he was in a similar situation. In his 6th season, he went to Detroit and started flourishing.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

Last years team had two starters: one whose motor was about burned out and another whose motor was equivalent to a VW bus.

Makes a difference when everyone goes full speed.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:14 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:02 pm
:shock: Chauncy basically saying he's gonna give ayton enough rope...
"He seems to me to have a motivation about him right now that I think is good. ... He believes he can be one of the best centers in the league. I completely believe him. ... I love where he's at right now, his mind space. He had a good summer working out and training, so I'm excited about him."

Interesting that he talks about how he was in a similar situation. In his 6th season, he went to Detroit and started flourishing.
Oh, I can see the parallels. DA is going to be the 2025 Finals MVP.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This team is scary good. Book went off. Then KD got his. Then Beal decided to turn his switch to the on position for a little while. Nurkic, Gordon and Watanabe sitting out. Okogie has been playing great and is our defensive pit bull. Then Goodwin comes out of nowhere and says hold my beer. Now we have two defensive pit bulls?

The bottom of the bench played most of the second half and that was interesting for sure. They have some work to do but made some nice defensive plays.

Can’t wait for games that matter.

Cap

Post by Cap »

So, how’s our rotation looking?

We have 13 candidate players: Book, Beal, KD, Nurk, Drew, Gordon, Allen, Goodwin, Okogie, Yuta, Metu, KBD, Little. We can’t possibly go that deep. Based on the preseason so far, it looks like KBD and Little may be on the outside looking in. Do we play the other 11, or does someone else have to ride pine?

I think maybe Goodwin and Metu are “deep depth” guys who are used only situationally. That leaves us with a nine-man main rotation, which seems reasonable.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Book- Gordon
Beal- Allen
KD-Yuta
Okogie-
Nurkic-Eubanks, (Metu or Azubuike when Center foul trouble)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Our first 6-7, maybe 8 guys are just going to annihilate teams offensively throughout the season. The passing, the flow, the shooting, and the driving seems to be lightyears ahead of last year. We're playing extremely fast which does help negate not having a true PG on the floor but even in the half court guys are willing passers which is creating open shots. We have a brand new team but they've been clicking well so far which is great to see. I was worried about chemistry and guys being on the same page but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue at this point. I love that we have multiple ballhandlers outside of the Big 3 who can bring the ball up and get into the offense. It's not just CP walking it up or Book playing backup PG - it's Book, Beal, KD, Allen, Okogie, Goodwin, EG, even Nurk. Just get it and go. The passing has been contagious.

Goodwin showed out on both ends, really nice pickup in the trade for us going forward and I'd bet he wins the Majerle Hustle Award this year. He could be our Bruce Brown type of player who gives the team a spark and changes the energy of a game. It'll be hard to keep him off the floor. Allen fits in really well and knows how to play off the starters. Okogie looks a lot smoother and more confident on offense. Eubanks is undersized but hustles and flies around the rim defensively. Much more athletic than you'd think. He also moves the ball really well on offense, processing quickly and keeping the flow going. KBD and Little were better this game but still not sure either is really standing out just yet.

We went small in the 2nd qtr with Book, Allen, JO and Goodwin plus Eubanks which worked well on both ends but not sure we'll be able to pull it off during the regular season. But it was a nice mix off offense and defense. We could come up with a ton of lineups on the smaller side, just a matter of whether the defense holds and we can match up.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Postgame quotes and videos

Spoiler: show/hide

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:36 am
Our first 6-7, maybe 8 guys are just going to annihilate teams offensively throughout the season. The passing, the flow, the shooting, and the driving seems to be lightyears ahead of last year. We're playing extremely fast which does help negate not having a true PG on the floor but even in the half court guys are willing passers which is creating open shots. We have a brand new team but they've been clicking well so far which is great to see. I was worried about chemistry and guys being on the same page but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue at this point. I love that we have multiple ballhandlers outside of the Big 3 who can bring the ball up and get into the offense. It's not just CP walking it up or Book playing backup PG - it's Book, Beal, KD, Allen, Okogie, Goodwin, EG, even Nurk. Just get it and go. The passing has been contagious.

Goodwin showed out on both ends, really nice pickup in the trade for us going forward and I'd bet he wins the Majerle Hustle Award this year. He could be our Bruce Brown type of player who gives the team a spark and changes the energy of a game. It'll be hard to keep him off the floor. Allen fits in really well and knows how to play off the starters. Okogie looks a lot smoother and more confident on offense. Eubanks is undersized but hustles and flies around the rim defensively. Much more athletic than you'd think. He also moves the ball really well on offense, processing quickly and keeping the flow going. KBD and Little were better this game but still not sure either is really standing out just yet.

We went small in the 2nd qtr with Book, Allen, JO and Goodwin plus Eubanks which worked well on both ends but not sure we'll be able to pull it off during the regular season. But it was a nice mix off offense and defense. We could come up with a ton of lineups on the smaller side, just a matter of whether the defense holds and we can match up.
Great breakdown shelc!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Really good thread here on the team overall and its perimeter talent but this stat last night stood out. We were such a heavy midrange team in the past due to CP, Book, Mikal and DA that it allowed teams to stay close or catch up because of 3pt shooting. Now we're running, driving the lane and shooting 3s with some of the best in the league. The game will change in the playoffs where teams will run you off the line but even so, we still have KD, Book, Beal and then Allen and Gordon who can hit from midrange. Just a lot of well rounded, triple threat players.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We barely mentioned KD in this thread, but he effortlessly had 19 points in the first half before sitting down. This team has so much firepower.

TOO

Post by TOO »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:00 am
Really good thread here on the team overall and its perimeter talent but this stat last night stood out. We were such a heavy midrange team in the past due to CP, Book, Mikal and DA that it allowed teams to stay close or catch up because of 3pt shooting. Now we're running, driving the lane and shooting 3s with some of the best in the league. The game will change in the playoffs where teams will run you off the line but even so, we still have KD, Book, Beal and then Allen and Gordon who can hit from midrange. Just a lot of well rounded, triple threat players.

New coach, better than old coach.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya you can tell we are playing way more into the 3s and ft’s analytics strategy.

I’m curious how Monty does in Detroit without Kevin Young…I have heard Monty is one of the least receptive coaches to analytics.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Detroit doesn't have much 3pt shooting on its roster so it'll be tough to gauge this year.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

6 steals?! Hot damn! Goodwin is a fantastic pickup!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I like the following 12 players as should be in the rotation, depending on the matchups.
Book
Beal
KD
Okogie
Nurk
Allen
Gordon
Yuta
Metu
KBD
Goodwin
Eubanks

Everyone else is break glass for emergency types.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass