Suns News: Week 0 (Oct 16 - 22)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns News: Week 0 (Oct 16 - 22)

Post by ShelC »

Post practice Quotes and Videos

Spoiler: show/hide

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It’s laughable how much of an idiot this guy is:

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think he actually believes all the things he says…These guys say things for the reaction. Caters to Lakers fans and gets suns fans all worked up. Good for engagement

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:13 pm
I don’t think he actually believes all the things he says…These guys say things for the reaction. Caters to Lakers fans and gets suns fans all worked up. Good for engagement
Then he can continue to look like an idiot to non Lakers fans. I'm not going to watch the guy. I can handle a pushed 10 second clip but that's about it. I'll avoid him rather than engage with him. Next time I see his dumb face (Keanu Reeves wanna be; more like a cross between Keanu's hair and Tom Green), I won't watch.
"Be Legendary."

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Yeah ... I don't really get all the Austin Reaves hype. I guess being a more-athletic Grayson Allen is fine, but I'm not sure it merits the amount of attention that he's gotten over the summer; cool story that he's a Lakers fan who went undrafted and now he's living out his dream and took less money to stay, etc etc. And I guess you could make an argument about relative to their respective contracts, which one you might rather have, but pure basketball skill and ability, Beal is the better player by far.

I'm quite certain that, if Beal had used his no-trade leverage to get to the Lakers, and part of that deal ended up being Reaves, the Lakers would make that trade 100 times out of 100. Honestly, I'm kind of glad he didn't; I think Beal would play extremely well off of LeBron and AD (assuming reasonable health for all those guys).

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Beal>>>Reaves>Allen>>Shamet
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Reaves is the Lakers' new version of Caruso. Both are nice players but no one cares about Caruso now that's he's on the Bulls.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Nick Wrong is on LeBrons payroll at this point. Fuck outta here man
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:39 pm
Beal>>>Reaves>Allen>>Shamet
Ya Reaves is closer to Allen than Beal. He’s basically Allen with some more advanced on ball skills. I actually think Allen is the better athlete…though neither are great athletes.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Allen is a great athlete, and far better than Reaves. Reaves is a better player though, but not as good as Beal.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don’t think they’re that far apart athletically. Allen has a bit more bounce, but Reaves is better side to side. His herky jerky style is why he’s often compared to Ginobili and that’s an athletic skill.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Split T wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:37 pm
Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:35 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:19 pm
Is there a more perfect player to be our 5th starter right now than Marion? He’d be so good
Mikal Bridges?
He’d be phenomenal too, but Marion was more versatile defensively and a much better finisher. Mikal definitely better as a shooter though and better on ball. Couldn’t go wrong with either.
Jimmy Butler please.

SunsShine

Post by SunsShine »

Reaves was greatly benefiting from that ol’ James Harden whistle last season. Honestly, I’m not so sure he’s that much better than Grayson Allen, and comparing him in any way to Beal is laughable. Lakers are historically coddled by the media and the Suns are often times overlooked. Also, the Lakers made the mistake of blaming their failures with Westbrook on Vogel and I am grateful to them for that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

A lot of the talking heads are hyping up the Lakers for this season. They have a good roster, yes, but aren't they still led by 40+ year old Lebron James, and by Mr. Glass himself, Anthony Davis? Isn't one or both of those guys going to miss half the season with injuries? Why would they have an awesome record this year?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Everyone always starts out with a clean bill of health. We’ll see how long it lasts. Lakers do seem to have more depth than past years. Not really worried about them though. Think we are pretty clearly better if healthy

Split T

Post by Split T »

I do wonder how the Lakers will defend us…When they’ve had everyone playing in preseason they’ve started Russell/Reaves/Prince/LeBron/AD

The big question to me is who they hide on D. Russell, who is a poor defender, or LeBron, who is an uninterested defender in the regular season. Because either Russell is on Beal or LeBron is on KD.

I think their best bet is Reaves on Beal, Prince on Booker, LeBron on KD, AD on Nurkic and hide Russell on whoever our 5th starter is. I guess they could also put AD on KD and hide LeBron on Nurk, but that actually makes him work as Nurk will be involved in a lot of screens and it probably takes AD away from the rim where they want him.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:13 pm
Then he can continue to look like an idiot to non Lakers fans. I'm not going to watch the guy. I can handle a pushed 10 second clip but that's about it. I'll avoid him rather than engage with him. Next time I see his dumb face (Keanu Reeves wanna be; more like a cross between Keanu's hair and Tom Green), I won't watch.
This is the Tom Green show it's not the Green Tom show.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:48 am
I do wonder how the Lakers will defend us…When they’ve had everyone playing in preseason they’ve started Russell/Reaves/Prince/LeBron/AD

The big question to me is who they hide on D. Russell, who is a poor defender, or LeBron, who is an uninterested defender in the regular season. Because either Russell is on Beal or LeBron is on KD.

I think their best bet is Reaves on Beal, Prince on Booker, LeBron on KD, AD on Nurkic and hide Russell on whoever our 5th starter is. I guess they could also put AD on KD and hide LeBron on Nurk, but that actually makes him work as Nurk will be involved in a lot of screens and it probably takes AD away from the rim where they want him.
I think Vincent will be getting time when it counts and he's a much better defender than Russell.

The scary thing about the Lakers is they're primed for another consolidation trade as well. They have assets and a lot of tradeable contracts.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:48 am

I think Vincent will be getting time when it counts and he's a much better defender than Russell.

The scary thing about the Lakers is they're primed for another consolidation trade as well. They have assets and a lot of tradeable contracts.
Last time they consolidated their assets, it went terribly downhill for them. You still have to make the right trade, and current LA administration have shown a knack for going after names instead of fit when it comes to Stars. I almost would prefer them to do it, and sent out Hachimura, Vincent, Vanderbilt packed with DLo for, let’s say Jimmy Butler (big name, great player, TERRIBLE FIT), or even better, keep DLo instead of Reaves.

And still, this current iteration with a starting backcourt of DLo and Reaves doesn’t scare me at all, both are infamously overrated and I the clock ir already clicking for the moment when Gabe Vincent either overplay those two creating tensions or shrink under his reduced role.