SUNS 2014: Free Agency 2 (new)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Dan H

Re: SUNS 2014: Free Agency 2 (new)

Post by Dan H »

I'd hate to give up Plumlee, Dragic, Bledsoe, Thomas, the Morrii, PJ, and Warren.

Not sure what a package of Len, Green, and a buttload of draft picks buys you in all honesty.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I think its seriously time we considered the return of Pat Burke! :D

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Dan H wrote:Not sure what a package of Len, Green, and a buttload of draft picks buys you in all honesty.
Maybe Greg Monroe. Ennis to the Pistons would make sense too.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Assuming we don't add Monroe, I don't mind Clark or Charles V as cheap pickups until we eventually make a move down the line. I think in our system they would look better so they may work as inclusions for future trades after this (not high value inclusions mind you). If not we wouldn't pay them much and only on short term deals.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Greg Monroe strikes me as more of a plodder. With a guy like Love that's no big deal because can trail on the break and hit from range, but Monroe is an inside guy. Not sure how that works.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Big Dan, the Man!

Tough to know what sort of player Monroe can be since the Pistons team was so screwed up with mismatched pieces ( and Smith's stupid contract). Suns would be better off in the short-term to get a Joel Anthony-type for defense and grit. Easier said than done, of course.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:http://www.basketballinsiders.com/earl- ... al-summer/

I'd take a flyer on him and put him at the 4. He can post, shoot the 3, rebound, another ballhandler on the break. He'd give us some needed size, length and athleticism in the frontcourt.
I've been thinking the same thing. If he would come here for the $1-2 million, I'd do it.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Dan H wrote:Greg Monroe strikes me as more of a plodder. With a guy like Love that's no big deal because can trail on the break and hit from range, but Monroe is an inside guy. Not sure how that works.
Monroe actually moves pretty well. He gets up and down the court in transition pretty quick. He just can't make a shot more than 3 feet from the hoop and is not much of a defensive player

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

He can hit the mid-range jumper, just not consistently. In other words, he has the range. It's not like he's Shaq. Go to NBA.com advanced stats page and watch some of the video of him there.

I would pass on Monroe.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'd take a flyer on him and put him at the 4. He can post, shoot the 3, rebound, another ballhandler on the break. He'd give us some needed size, length and athleticism in the frontcourt.
I do have some fondness for Earl Clark, but isn't he kind of redundant with the Morrii on the team? How does he give us more size than they provide? To me he just seems like a Markieff who is not as good at 3-point shooting. I think I would rather just give those minutes to both Morrii and Tolliver I suppose than sign another mediocre PF.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:He can hit the mid-range jumper, just not consistently. In other words, he has the range. It's not like he's Shaq. Go to NBA.com advanced stats page and watch some of the video of him there.

I would pass on Monroe.
Uf, I don't know if I'd say he has the range. While you are on nba.com look at his basic shooting chart. 32% on non paint attempts that consist of 16% of his total shots. Seems to be hope from the left elbow.

The thing is that I go back and forth about Monroe. His post scoring and rebounding would obviously help us, and he is not a stiff, he can move, but only if used at C. If you put him at PF I think he starts to lack speed. But our roster is not well equiped to use Monroe at C, given his lack of rim protection. And I don't think Miles-Monroe would work. Moreover, even if Miles came off the bench, the other big man is still Kieff, who doesn't defend either so we'd have a huge problem.

My opinion would be passing on Monroe as well. Unless, again, further moves were made to put a good fit alongside Monroe. A Gibson type would be perfect, it is, a guy who can defend and make jumpshots as far from the rim as possible.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Dan H wrote:I'd hate to give up Plumlee, Dragic, Bledsoe, Thomas, the Morrii, PJ, and Warren.

Not sure what a package of Len, Green, and a buttload of draft picks buys you in all honesty.
It's a shame Gerald Green is so undervalued here.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I don't think he is undervalued because some are willing to include him in trade scenarios. Others could say the same about the Morrii.

Green had a monster season and displayed a huge ability to make shots. Extremely hard shots. T-Mac shots. And crazy dunks too (I call him The Prototype, and that's how my girlfriend knows him). But he is also a turnover/bonehead pass waiting to happen, a negative on defense and an expiring contract in a world where Meeks makes 6M+ per.

Others would be gone before him, but Green has to be available.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm not saying he should be untouchable, but I would try my hardest to keep him.

There just aren't many players in the league period that offer his combination of athleticism, shot-creating, and shooting ability.

The thought of Marcus Morris being undervalued is laughable. Markieff is a different story. One could reasonably favor is new-found efficiency/versatility, which is somewhat uncommon, but at the end of the day, he is a mediocre defender and a mediocre rebounder, he isn't a true stretch 4, and you are forced to keep his unremarkable twin around to hold his hand. IMO, it isn't hard to upgrade from that situation.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Green reminds me a bit of Eddie House in that, when he is on one of his incandescent jags, he really incites the home crowd. Who else currently on the roster has that quality?
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:

I've been thinking the same thing. If he would come here for the $1-2 million, I'd do it.
This is why the Shav signing bothered me. A lot of significantly better players still out there for the minimum (ED FREAKING DAVIS!!), and we wasted our second to last roster spot on Shav.

And if anyone's argument is "who cares, he's just the 14th man?" I would say that that same 14th man played important minutes for us down the stretch last year. It's not an inconsequential spot, considering Len's injury history and our lack of true bigs.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

By the way. Would anyone be opposed to giving Eric 5/60? The Suns get the annual salary they want, Eric gets the number of years he wants. Everyone wins.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

JCSunsfan wrote:By the way. Would anyone be opposed to giving Eric 5/60? The Suns get the annual salary they want, Eric gets the number of years he wants. Everyone wins.
I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Xylus wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:By the way. Would anyone be opposed to giving Eric 5/60? The Suns get the annual salary they want, Eric gets the number of years he wants. Everyone wins.
I'd rather give him 4/60 then. If it gets down to that it, the harm of one extra year is bigger than 3M per season.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Xylus wrote:
I'd rather give him 4/60 then. If it gets down to that it, the harm of one extra year is bigger than 3M per season.
Makes sense to me. I really am starting to doubt if he wants to be here the way things have gone, though.