Greatest non-NBA players

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Greatest non-NBA players

Post by Cap »

Who are the greatest basketball players who either didn’t play in the NBA, or didn’t play in the NBA in their prime?

Three who come immediately to mind: Arvydas Sabonis, Connie Hawkins, Oscar Schmidt.

Who else is a “what could have been”?

EDIT: Earl Manigault

I also have vague memories of a three-named playground legend point guard from the 80’s, Billy Something Something I think… anybody know who I’m thinking of?

Flagrant Fowl

Re: Greatest non-NBA players

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Me.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

Len Bias.
Lenny Cooke.
Earl Manigault.
Benji Wilson.
Ramunas Siskauskas.
Nikos Galis.
Drazen Dalipagic.
Oscar Schmidt.

https://clutchpoints.com/10-best-basket ... in-the-nba

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Dr. J?

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

The professor

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

If I say Oscar Schmidt I'm being a homer?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:55 pm
If I say Oscar Schmidt I'm being a homer?
He’s already been mentioned three times so I think you’re safe.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Cap wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:20 pm
Who are the greatest basketball players who either didn’t play in the NBA, or didn’t play in the NBA in their prime?

Three who come immediately to mind: Arvydas Sabonis, Connie Hawkins, Oscar Schmidt.

I also have vague memories of a three-named playground legend point guard from the 80’s, Billy Something Something I think… anybody know who I’m thinking of?

Yep, Michael Ray Richardson

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

How far back do we want to go?

Pre-NBA -
Harry Hough
Jack Inglis
Nat Holman
Joe Lapchick
Bob McDermott
Leroy Edwards
Red DeBernadi
Hank Luisetti
Fat Jenkins
Tarzan Cooper
Willie Smith

Even after the NBA started in 1946 a handful of the best prospects each year still signed with AAU teams because it meant a job for them after basketball. Some would play for AAU teams early on before turning pro (George Yardley, Jim Pollard, Clyde Lovellette, Don Kojis, Flynn Robinson, Roger Brown). The NBA really didn't have a stranglhold on the best talent until the late 1950's after they top black players like Maurice Stokes, Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain started choosing them over the Globetrotters, and salaries were enough to lure all the top names away from the AAU. By the 1980s and 1990s the best players outside of the league were probably Europeans, and now even the best Europeans come over to the NBA at a young age (starting with Marčiulionis, Petrovic, Divac, Schrempf, Kukoc, Smits, etc.).
Last edited by The Bobster on Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:24 am
Cap wrote:

Doug Moe, Hawkins, Roger Brown and Tony Jackson were the top players banned after the college scandals in 1961. Hawkins was the only one of the group to make it to the NBA, although the other three did play in the ABA.

All-American Wayne Estes was killed by a downed power line at the site of a car accident in 1965. He was considered likely to be a high draft choice. Also, there's the untimely death of Hank Gathers in 1990.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Cap

Post by Cap »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:24 am
Cap wrote:

Nice! Thanks.

TOO

Post by TOO »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:37 am
How far back do we want to go?

Pre-NBA -
Harry Hough
Jack Inglis
Nat Holman
Joe Lapchick
Bob McDermott
Leroy Edwards
Red DeBernadi
Hank Luisetti
Fat Jenkins
Tarzan Cooper
Willie Smith

Even after the NBA started in 1946 a handful of the best prospects each year still signed with AAU teams because it meant a job for them after basketball. Some would play for AAU teams early on before turning pro (George Yardley, Jim Pollard, Clyde Lovellette, Don Kojis, Flynn Robinson, Roger Brown). The NBA really didn't have a stranglhold on the best talent until the late 1950's after they top black players like Maurice Stokes, Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain started choosing them over the Globetrotters, and salaries were enough to lure all the top names away from the AAU. By the 1980s and 1990s the best players outside of the league were probably Europeans, and now even the best Europeans come over to the NBA at a young age (starting with Marčiulionis, Petrovic, Divac, Schrempf, Kukoc, Smits, etc.).
Names used to be so cool.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Richard Dumas?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

We have seen so many "What If?" players head through Phoenix - Connie Hawkins, Richard Dumas, Oliver Miller, even Penny Hardaway. And of course the career interuptions - Walter Davis, Antonio McDyess, Tom Gugliotta, Curtis Perry, etc.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:45 pm
Richard Dumas?
Curious how much of his game was because of coke. The guy just had bounce and energy for days...

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:04 am
We have seen so many "What If?" players head through Phoenix - Connie Hawkins, Richard Dumas, Oliver Miller, even Penny Hardaway. And of course the career interuptions - Walter Davis, Antonio McDyess, Tom Gugliotta, Curtis Perry, etc.
Solid list... probably throw Danny Manning in there too?