Game Day: Nets (12-10) @ Suns (13-10), Wed 12/13/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Game Day: Nets (12-10) @ Suns (13-10), Wed 12/13/23

Post by Split T »

The excuses are the same…we haven’t been healthy. I think there are some things we’ve seen that are concerns and will be(rebounding and turnovers especially), but I’m not sure how anyone can make even an educated guess on how this team will play in the playoffs. We haven’t seen them healthy.

Yes we finally had the big 3, but it was with a still ramping up Beal, no 5 or 6(Allen and EG), and on the 2nd night of a b2b…it’s also just 1 game…these guys will need time to get used to playing together.

I’ll be concerned if we haven’t had a convincing stretch of basketball before the all-star break. For now I’m not worried

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I can see this going three possible different ways. Worst case, we stay about the same and are average and just barely make the playoffs and get knocked out early. Best case, we start figuring it out as we go and peak near the end of the season going into the playoffs, Warriors style their last championship year. The third case is somewhere in the middle of those two which is probably the likeliest.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:33 pm
The excuses are the same…we haven’t been healthy. I think there are some things we’ve seen that are concerns and will be(rebounding and turnovers especially), but I’m not sure how anyone can make even an educated guess on how this team will play in the playoffs. We haven’t seen them healthy.

Yes we finally had the big 3, but it was with a still ramping up Beal, no 5 or 6(Allen and EG), and on the 2nd night of a b2b…it’s also just 1 game…these guys will need time to get used to playing together.

I’ll be concerned if we haven’t had a convincing stretch of basketball before the all-star break. For now I’m not worried

This is pretty much how I feel. We just haven’t had any consistency to our lineup. We either have KD but no Book, Book but no KD. When we do have both, it’s only for couple games, plus with all the other injuries to key role players, all this whole also having a whole new team, new coaches, new players and those new players being asked to play roles, they don’t usually play while also having no Beal this whole time. It’s a lot and struggles are to be expected. It is what it is. It’s fucking annoying. We all agree.

With a healthy big 3 now, hopefully. It’s time to nut up or shut up. Going to be interesting to see how we finish December.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:02 pm
I can see this going three possible different ways. Worst case, we stay about the same and are average and just barely make the playoffs and get knocked out early. Best case, we start figuring it out as we go and peak near the end of the season going into the playoffs, Warriors style their last championship year. The third case is somewhere in the middle of those two which is probably the likeliest.

Yeah I mean thats pretty much how every season goes. Good, bad, or in the middle lol.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:12 pm
Superbone wrote:

Yeah I mean thats pretty much how every season goes. Good, bad, or in the middle lol.
It could be worse. See Pistons, Detroit.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:45 pm
TOO wrote:
Superbone wrote:

They would fall under bad.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:56 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:45 pm
TOO wrote:
Superbone wrote:

They would fall under bad.
What I'm saying is mediocre is our floor. We will not be bad. My point was we will be mediocre, great, or somewhere in between (most likely).

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

JNix

Post by JNix »

I agree with most peoples sentiments for the most part. This offense has zero flow and definitely has not developed any type of system yet. The excuse we haven't been healthy is valid but we still should seem to have more flow than this. I think the advanced stats look good because this team is crazy efficient when they do shoot, but that efficiency is based almost solely on the crazy amount of offensive talent on this team and not the system that the coaching staff is trying to implement.

I can see this team starting to click and rattle off a 15 game win streak at some point this season. There's risk this team just doesn't gel but I think they will start to show some better flow on offense. The amount of talent we have is too great to stay like this.

The biggest issue for me with this team if we want to make a legit title run is DEFENSE. I was worried about our interior defense before the season and it seems that my concerns were valid. I worry about interior defense and rebounding. Our turnover issues will settle to the mean but our defense and rebounding is a limitation that will be hard to improve on with flow. The players don't just get taller.

Overall is this the start to the season we expected? Absolutely no. Are the excuses getting tired...absolutely. But I think when the dust really settles the offense will figure itself out. Lets just hope they can find a way to add one more big that can help hold down the paint and rebound. Will be hard to do via trade so I expect we will look to address that in the buyout market if possible (I realize were kind of handcuffed there but there should be some options with lesser salaries).

As for a PG, I think adding a good passer would be good but I don't think its a must. We have enough ballhandlers to figure it out. But agree with people on here saying we need more movement. If the ball is not in your hands MOVE, don't just stand in the corner waiting to shoot a 3. Hate that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I saw a graph the other day..on average we are the heaviest team in the league and like the 3rd or 4th tallest. Size is not our problem on rebounding.

One thing I’ll point out is that at one point a majority of nba fans(not talking on here) were doing a victory lap thinking the Clippers trading for Harden made them worse and laughing at them. They’ve now won 6 straight games. It takes time to incorporate talent mid-season like we are now trying to do.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Helps to have Bol Bol and no small guards on the roster for that average size ranking.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think it weighted them by playing time, so not sure if Bol helped much, but yes, not having small guards definitely helped.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:35 am
Helps to have Bol Bol and no small guards on the roster for that average size ranking.
Bol Bol is the lightest player we have so not moving the weight scale for us. Height surely though.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Cap

Post by Cap »