Around the League: August 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Around the League: August 2014

Post by In2ition »

David Thorpe thinks that the Mavs could be real contenders if they found a way to somehow add Bledsoe, even though he doesn't know they could do that.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Bledsoe-Ellis-Parsons-Dirk-Chandler, coached by Carlisle, is nothing to scoff at. Very well rounded and with no inherent fatal flaw. Health would be a major concern. The bench could probably use one more scorer besides Harris, and they lack post offense, but it would be a nice team.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

In2ition wrote:David Thorpe thinks that the Mavs could be real contenders if they found a way to somehow add Bledsoe, even though he doesn't know they could do that.
And the Suns would be real contenders if they could add Joakim Noah or LaMarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love right now.

Of course that ain't happening either.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The Bobster wrote:
In2ition wrote:David Thorpe thinks that the Mavs could be real contenders if they found a way to somehow add Bledsoe, even though he doesn't know they could do that.
And the Suns would be real contenders if they could add Joakim Noah or LaMarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love right now.

Of course that ain't happening either.
Lol, exactly.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

There is such an effort by the media to create news an sensationalize what little news and rumors there are.

Indiana wants Dragic? Who cares? What are they going to trade for him? Same with Houston or Dallas wanting Bledsoe. And half the articles on the Isaiah Thomas signing don't seem to understand that the Suns play two "point guards" together and Thomas will just be eating up what are mainly Ish Smith's minutes (along with other bench minutes).

Basically the Suns are waiting for a reply or counter-offer from Bledsoe. There's not a whole lot of story there. The real deadline is October 1, so this could drag on until then.
Last edited by The Bobster on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Prediction: Greg Monroe will be signed and traded to the Celtics for a package that includes Jeff Green and some of their assets (Olynyk or Young or picks).

TOO

Post by TOO »

Sully and Monroe wouldn't exactly set the world on fire together, dont like that fit.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't really know what to make of Monroe. Is he an elite big man, or capable of being one? What is he great at? He's kind of a thick, plodding, ground-based PF, no? Doesn't shoot outside much, right? Does he have great offensive skills in the post? Is he a great rebounder? I'm honestly asking. I don't get to see him play very much. Should teams like the Suns be chasing after this guy, or is he being overrated?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mori Chu wrote:I don't really know what to make of Monroe. Is he an elite big man, or capable of being one? What is he great at? He's kind of a thick, plodding, ground-based PF, no? Doesn't shoot outside much, right? Does he have great offensive skills in the post? Is he a great rebounder? I'm honestly asking. I don't get to see him play very much. Should teams like the Suns be chasing after this guy, or is he being overrated?
He's actually deceptively fast. Very good in transition. good rebounder. Not much of a defender or shotblocker at his size. Poor FT shooter. Pretty skilled as a passer. Not much range on his shot. I think he's better as a center than a PF, but he needs a shotblocker next to him.

I go back and forth on if the Suns should make a run at him. I would trade the Morris twins for him, while acknowledging that Markieff is probably a better fit for our offense. He's only 24, though.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm in the same boat. You definitely get intrigued by Monroe's size and skills. He's put up some good assist numbers, which tells me he knows how to play basketball. He's a solid rebounder and can score in the post. He's not an explosive athlete, but I wouldn't call him a plodder necessarily. I don't know that he's a dominant go-to guy worthy of a max. If Gortat is getting 12mil tho, isn't Monroe worth that?

It's tough because you look at our frontcourt and you're like, "Yea, we definitely need Greg Monroe", but that's only in relation to our frontcourt. Is a high level big who can get us over the top or a nice player who will get paid a lot and not really help a team win.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Well, my (bad) prediction didn't last very long. Monroe signing the QO (and Bledsoe might, too):

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... /13967777/

TOO

Post by TOO »

I suppose Monroe wanted max cash too? These guys are crazy.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sounds like Monroe is going to get his max. The article linked above says he had 2 max offers on the table.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Those max offers don't mean much unless it comes from one of the teams with the cap space to pay it (the Sixers and Suns). If it's from a team that can't work out a sign-and-trade the offer doesn't do anything other than set a price for Monroe that no team with the means to is willing to pay.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Check this out. Bill Simmons may be leaving NBA Countdown to do his own NBA show. I'd honestly like this much better; the format of a typical show just doesn't play to Simmons' strengths. He's much better in a long-form discussion with lots of time to unwind and deep dive, like Inside the NBA.

https://twitter.com/JimMiller/status/499258303432904706