Around the League: August 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Around the League: August 2014

Post by SDC »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
SDC wrote:
Shabazz wrote:So the Love trade is happening. Love for Wiggins, Bennett and a protected 1st. Love also "wink-wink" agreed to opt out and resign for 5 years after next season.

Great trade for both teams, IMO.
kevin love is overrated and will be exposed.
Overrated is subjective. If he puts up another 20/10 season is that considered overrated? I don't think so.
he wont put up 20 ppgs next season.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

World Peace Changes Name To Panda Friend

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... nda-Friend

No, this is not a Robot article.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

http://www.nba.com/news/features/john_schuhmann/2014-15-nba-rookie-survey/index.html
At the annual Rookie Photo Shoot at the Knicks' practice facility in Tarrytown, N.Y., on Sunday, 38 rookies answered eight questions about their class.
Suns highlights:
Which rookie will have the best career?

1: Jabari Parker, Milwaukee -- 45.9 percent

2: Doug McDermott, Chicago -- 13.5 percent

3: T.J. Warren, Phoenix -- 8.1 percent
Which rookie is the best playmaker?

1: Tyler Ennis, Phoenix -- 24.3 percent

2: Kyle Anderson, San Antonio -- 18.9 percent

3: Marcus Smart, Boston -- 13.5 percent

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I'm really interested in McDaniles and indeed think he's been overlooked. Probably one of the biggest steals in the draft and from what I saw in the summer league, he can play right now so it's not just athletic potential.

Speaking of overlooked, the Raptors now own Lucas 'Bebe' Nogueira (2013 draft #16 by Atlanta, rights attached to Lou Williams salary dump style).

Somebody over realgm posted a Nogueira for Ennis scenario. I'd do it and think it's actually a good move for both teams, as long as Masai still wants Ennis. They re-signed Vasquez, but only for two years, so Ennis can perfectly have a future there.

For those not familiar with Nogueira, he is one of those skinny and long defensive types, Noel style. 7'0, 220 pounds, 7'6 wingspan, 9'6 standing reach.

Comes with the usual strengths and flaws. Weak side terror, offensive rebounder, quickness and speed, some finishing. Also the regular limited allaround skillset.

[youtube]P_AAUYue1w4[/youtube]

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

As part of the Wolves Trade Thaddaus Young will be dealt for a package headlined by Anthony Bennet.

I like the move for Philadelphia. Young has not going to Re-up there and this gives Bennett a fresh start in a rebuilding situation.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Bennett should do well there. He looked good in SL and can play the 4 outside with Noel inside.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I'm not sure I love that for Minnesota. It's a "win now" move when they have no shot to win now. I guess Flip wants to win more than 15 games.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I agree Shabazz. Minnesota has no idea what they're doing. I like the haul they got or Love, but Flip keeps telling people he wants to win now. The Young for Bennett move would illustrate that. Young has a decent contract for a player for his skill, but the Wolves won't be competting until he is a FA anyways.

I think INF was bringing up how much talent they have, but its because they mismanaged their franchise all the way back to the KG Trade. Their drafts have left a lot to be desired (Johnny Flynn anyone? Wes Johnson?) and they always seem to be stuck between "rebuilding" and "trying to win now". I thought they did the best they could for Love, but again its almost as if they lucked into it, because it was still out there they preferred Klay and Lee and Barnes, which IMO would of been much worse for a team in there position. Then they trade Bennett.

It doesn't help that nobody is willing to play there, but hey nobody wants to plau in Utah either and they have been a lot more successful over the last 20 years then Minnesota has.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I can't believe they are letting Flip be both GM and Coach. Haven't teams learned not to let coaches ruin a team with their short-term thinking? Especially ones who haven't really done well at GMing or at coaching?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I won't get into the Bennett trade, because honestly I don't care at all about that player. But I like trying to win for them. At the very least that should be your mindset entering every season. If along the way you need to blow it up just go for it and move Pekovic and the other vets, but Wiggins is supposedly this wonderful gem and I don't want to spoil his development or form an opinion against my franchise.

By the way, it is much more important to get rid of the pieces that don't make sense. Mbah a Moute is a dirty worker, he can staty. Turiaf too. Budinger still has some upside if he can regain his health. Maybe not a keeper, but not worth of moving right now.

On the other hand Barea, Martin, Brewer, Shved all should be gone one way or another, even via buyout if everything else fails.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying to compete with the rest. Keep Pekovic, but play the kids a ton. Shift the focus to Wiggins-LaVine and let Rubio do as it pleases him, while giving Pek his but no more no less. See how long you last until the season drops you due to your lack of weight. Or win games and get the buzz going. What if they have the herald of the new generation.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

By the way, Flip has managed to get the largest bounty ever in a trade for a disgruntled superstar. I believed he'd burn Minni to the ground letting Love play one last season and making absurd moves in the name of winning now.

But nope. He has robbed one team from the #1 overall pick in the most hyped draft ever. From a value standpoint, it doesn't get any better unless you are receiving another true superstar (and that just doesn't happen).

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I won't get into the Bennett trade, because honestly I don't care at all about that player. But I like trying to win for them. At the very least that should be your mindset entering every season. If along the way you need to blow it up just go for it and move Pekovic and the other vets, but Wiggins is supposedly this wonderful gem and I don't want to spoil his development or form an opinion against my franchise.
I get it, but it seems like they're giving up Bennett (and maybe a pick) for what could very likely be a 1 year Thad Young rental. That seems like a steep price to pay. If Young re-signs, I'll change my tune.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

First off, I wouldn't just hand playing time to the rookies or second year players. Make them earn it.

1. Have LaVine play both 1 & 2, probably off the bench for development, but he would work well with Rubio and back him up.
2. I could see Wiggins winning the starting 2 or 3 spot, and he would help Rubio immediately with the backcourt defense along with immediately being able to score off of Rubio's passing.
3. Establish the playing style Saunders envisions. With his youth and athleticism on the team, I would think that they would play through Rubio, run an up tempo offense and aggressive defense.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:First off, I wouldn't just hand playing time to the rookies or second year players. Make them earn it.
That's why I keep the hard workers. Moute, Budinger and Turiaf will challenge the youngs, but the garbage needs to go. Brewer is not garbage, but I'd probaby make him my odd man out, Dudley style. Send him wherever actually need him.
In2ition wrote:3. Establish the playing style Saunders envisions. With his youth and athleticism on the team, I would think that they would play through Rubio, run an up tempo offense and aggressive defense.
Yep. That team has to run like crazy, but when that's not possible, go to Pek too. Shooting will be a problem.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Shabazz wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:I won't get into the Bennett trade, because honestly I don't care at all about that player. But I like trying to win for them. At the very least that should be your mindset entering every season. If along the way you need to blow it up just go for it and move Pekovic and the other vets, but Wiggins is supposedly this wonderful gem and I don't want to spoil his development or form an opinion against my franchise.
I get it, but it seems like they're giving up Bennett (and maybe a pick) for what could very likely be a 1 year Thad Young rental. That seems like a steep price to pay. If Young re-signs, I'll change my tune.
I wouldn't give up the pick, that's for sure.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote: On the other hand Barea, Martin, Brewer, Shved all should be gone one way or another, even via buyout if everything else fails.
There's absolutely no reason why they should get rid of Brewer.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

They can get something for him. That's one of the concessions I'd make to the youth movement.

I qualified Brewer later, though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:First off, I wouldn't just hand playing time to the rookies or second year players. Make them earn it.
I think bad teams should play their rookies a bunch of minutes and let them grow. Why wouldn't you play Wiggins 36 minutes a game? Why not start Lavine and Bennett and see what they can do?

SDC

Post by SDC »

bill simmons: Kevin Love: Overrated, Underrated, or Properly Rated? bill went from "overrated" to "underrated"
http://grantland.com/features/kevin-lov ... berwolves/

Kevin Love = Jerry Lucas?
http://www.unz.com/isteve/kevin-love-and-lebron-james/

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't think Love is overrated, you just don't trade Andrew Wiggins for him. In a world where a team isn't even willing to give up Klay Thompson for Kevin Love (the merits of such a swap are debatable), then you shouldn't be willing to give up Andrew Wiggins. But that's what happens when you hand your team over to the President of the Shabazz Napier Fan Club.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.