Suns News: Week 14 (1/22/24 - 1/28/24)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Suns News: Week 14 (1/22/24 - 1/28/24)

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:02 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:36 pm
I'm a fan of Beal and how he plays, because he plays very different than Book, but it compliments everyone else too. I think we're on the verge of Beal getting that 40 point game soon, and I think his averages will start to slowly increase. It was so fun seeing how surgical the Suns were against the Mavs last night. It's so hard for teams to focus or even take one of the big 3 out of the game, as it just opens things up for another one of them.
Beal is our best player at breaking down a defense by getting into the paint and forcing rotations. Book and CP3 and KD even are more methodical about getting to their spots. Beal just attacks and gets into the paint even if he’s not planning to shoot. We need that in order to get up more 3s.
It’s reminiscent of some of our point guards of the past (KJ, Nash, etc.), and something we’ve been lacking.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Overall I still think Booker is clearly the better player, much more likely to go off for 40+ points and destroy the opponent on a given night. But Beal is also really talented and having Beal has been a big help. In some ways he's redundant with Booker, but it just gives you another roll of the dice if Book is having an off night for whatever reason, or if the defense is collapsing on Book and doubling him, you have "another Booker" waiting in the wings. But Beal isn't completely the same as Booker; he attacks the basket better, makes quicker decisions, finds open men, makes the defense collapse and rotate and adjust. Booker does some of that, too, but he often seems to stall the ball more and take longer to make his decisions, which lets the defense get set and stop him. I actually think "Point Beal" is a better strategy than "Point Book" in a lot of cases. Beal also is probably a better defender than Booker, and he's a bit stronger and able to guard bigger guys. You would never put Book on Zion, but we did put Beal on him and it largely succeeded.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Good call. I agree that he's a bit redundant, but at the same time different. He attacks differently and at a different rhythm. A little more herky jerky and explosive.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:15 pm
Beal is unlike any player I can think of in recent Suns history. Undersized for the 2spot but has the length and athleticism combined with insane quickness to get wherever he wants on the court. He's a 3 level scoring threat who's been a versatile defender for us. I still don't think we've scratched the surface with his abilities but he's filling the role we need for now. I look forward to watching him get on a hot streak and score the shit out of the ball for a few games.
Is he like a non-pedo version of Kevin johnson?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:50 pm
ShelC wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:15 pm
Beal is unlike any player I can think of in recent Suns history. Undersized for the 2spot but has the length and athleticism combined with insane quickness to get wherever he wants on the court. He's a 3 level scoring threat who's been a versatile defender for us. I still don't think we've scratched the surface with his abilities but he's filling the role we need for now. I look forward to watching him get on a hot streak and score the shit out of the ball for a few games.
Is he like a non-pedo version of Kevin johnson?
KJ was much more of a point guard/floor general who could score. Beal's a scoring guard/combo guard. It's funny with our history of PGs, we're playing all year without one but instead have two premiere shooting guards.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This matches with what I've always thought of Bol. He grew up comfortable never had the motivation to become great. (and foot injuries)

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:06 pm
This matches with what I've always thought of Bol. He grew up comfortable never had the motivation to become great. (and foot injuries)

old news bud...
Kryptonic wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:43 am

maybe this will spark bol bol... the flashes we've seen of him could be HUGE for a title run.

:P

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

My bad. You guys always having discussions when I'm asleep. :lol:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:09 pm
My bad. You guys always having discussions when I'm asleep. :lol:
All good! Morning sunshine!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I've had a chance to think about the way the Suns are playing and have a philosophical question. If the scheme is to create mismatches that our stars exploit one-on-one, is this team ball? Or iso-ball?

TBH missed the last two games as I am ultra busy with work. But starting to feel that this could be the stretch that re-establishes the team as a contender. Maybe my prediction of a 20-game win streak in Feb was not so far off.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
I'm a fan of Beal and how he plays, because he plays very different than Book, but it compliments everyone else too. I think we're on the verge of Beal getting that 40 point game soon, and I think his averages will start to slowly increase. It was so fun seeing how surgical the Suns were against the Mavs last night. It's so hard for teams to focus or even take one of the big 3 out of the game, as it just opens things up for another one of them.
I like how he's willing to do whatever it takes to win. Sometimes to a fault though. Wish he would take every open shot.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:30 am
SGA has had injury issues…but they were probably more tanking issues than real injuries. Dame is in the same boat, but he’s had more real injuries. I agree Boston is the one team with very little health concerns…just KP…but that’s kind of a big one, especially since Horford is 38.
Speak of the devil

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:53 pm
In2ition wrote:
I like how he's willing to do whatever it takes to win. Sometimes to a fault though. Wish he would take every open shot.
Yeah I think he needs to be more selfish when the stakes increase. He's opting out of a lot of good looks right now.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:10 pm
Split T wrote:
SGA has had injury issues…but they were probably more tanking issues than real injuries. Dame is in the same boat, but he’s had more real injuries. I agree Boston is the one team with very little health concerns…just KP…but that’s kind of a big one, especially since Horford is 38.
Speak of the devil
Spoiler: show/hide
That sound you heard was my fantasy team hitting the bottom of the dumpster.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shaquille O'Neal calls #Suns big Bol Bol "lazy"on "The Big Pod" in saying Bol can do the same things as rookie phenomenon Victor Wembanyama.
I think this kind of half-hearted prediction is, ironically, lazy in itself. Shaq can claim he's right either way: if Bol struggles or gets cut from the Suns, Shaq can say he called it. If Bol turns things around, he can claim that Bol must have seen him calling him out and it lit a fire under him.

I don't know whether Bol is lazy. To me he seems to just not have great instincts and decision-making. That doesn't necessarily indicate laziness to me, since it's hard to "practice" making good decisions.

It's also rich for Shaq to call any other center lazy, given that Shaq famously showed up to each season 30 lb overweight and played himself into shape during the season, and famously wasn't willing to put in the work to fix his horrendous free throw shooting. Also he once delayed surgery until late in the calendar year so that he could miss training camp and the preseason.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:11 pm
ShelC wrote:
Split T wrote:
Speak of the devil
That’s pretty sad. I was just listening to Shaq at halftime saying he was the key. And then the announcers were saying something similar at the start of the 2nd half before it happened.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:44 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Split T wrote:
Speak of the devil
That’s pretty sad. I was just listening to Shaq at halftime saying he was the key. And then the announcers were saying something similar at the start of the 2nd half before it happened.
Wow. Do they usually talk about my fantasy team?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:48 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:44 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Split T wrote:
Speak of the devil
Wow. Do they usually talk about my fantasy team?
Yep. Surprised you’re not aware. Unfortunately, it’s not good. :P
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I'm officially glad we have the highest paid assistant coach in Kevin Young! Offense looking lethal.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Carno

Post by Carno »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:36 pm
I've had a chance to think about the way the Suns are playing and have a philosophical question. If the scheme is to create mismatches that our stars exploit one-on-one, is this team ball? Or iso-ball?
I'd say the offensive strategy is to force defenses to double a star so that they can swing it to another star to attack the scrambling defense. If defenses choose to not double, then they will iso on the most favorable matchup.