Game Day: Suns (26-20) @ Heat (24-22), Mon 1/29/24

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Suns (26-20) @ Heat (24-22), Mon 1/29/24

Post by ShelC »

Postgame Quotes and Videos
Spoiler: show/hide

Last edited by ShelC on Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Heat are a smaller team and aren't that good unless they're hitting a lot of 3s. Not trying to take anything away from our win because we played pretty well but still got jammed up in the 4th. Glad to see EG get going because we're going to need him. I think Grayson's been pretty banged up for a couple weeks now which may explain the dip in his play and now we could lose him for a bit with the ankle. We went 7 guys yesterday tho and JO hit two 3s which shouldn't be expected everynight. So playable depth is still a major issue. KBD should've been a good matchup against their swings but couldn't get on the floor. Not getting anything from him or Nas is really hurting things and is going force us to make a move. Nice all around game from Beal, if he could consistently hit 3s it'd be a big boost but he's never big a big 3pt shooter. He should be deadly from the corner. Still a lot of heavy lifting from the Big 3 and now we'll be relying on Gordon if Allen is out a few games.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Disappointing 4th quarter, but I'll give them a bit of slack since they had a big lead and were playing the hard-working Heat; hard to hold a team like that down. I was pleased to see several guys step up like Gordon, Eubanks, and I especially want to call out Okogie who I think had an awesome. He was all over the place, getting his hands on the ball for deflections and rebounds, even hitting a few shots (including that BS bank 3 to beat the shot clock, lol) and even driving to the basket to draw contact. Really happy with that Okogie performance.

The 4th quarter offensive mistakes were a little different this time to me. In most 4th quarters I feel like we get horrible quality of shots. This time we seemed to get fairly good shots but just decided to miss all of them. I still think we need to move the ball more, drive and kick more, get more easy shots and layups. But we did get a lot of open or mostly-open jumpers from good shooters. Sometimes they just bounce out.

We've got some banged-up players now with Beal's nose, Nurk's finger, Bol's foot, and now Allen's ankle. Hopefully none of them are out long.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I hate the way they play in the fourth. That waiting until there is 8 seconds on the clock to initiate any kind of offense on every possession is nerve wracking. It reminds me of Pass Prevent in the NFL where a team has a lead and near the end of the game they give up the small gains and focus on stopping the long pass. What always ends up happening is the team that that is trying to come back marches down the field and scores quickly.

The Suns are also getting famous for turning the ball over if you put pressure on them. Teams are trapping everything the whole game and over playing everything. The Heat kept the pressure on this game but the Suns were much better at turnovers so that’s a positive. I didn’t see the rebounding stats. Teams have been getting a lot of second and third chances at scoring because we can’t rebound. Give the other team 20 more shots at the basket and they will hit half and gain 20 points right there.

Booker was interviewed after the game and he implied that it’s still a work in progress and they will get better.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

We did a lot better job on the boards in this one. Yes, I don't care that they shoot open threes in the 4th. They need to attack the zone some as well and get some inside shots. They need to mix it up better and to continue to play with a sense of urgency. I don't understand those of you who think our offense is fine in the 4th. We never push the ball. Like I said in one sequence above, we use the entire shot clock, passing the ball around the top of the key and finally shoot a long jumper and miss. Miami grabs the balls and flys down the court and gets fouled by a backpedaling defender while driving to the hoop. All in under 10 seconds. Stopping the clock and getting two free throws. We need to push the ball too sometimes in the fourth. This is a definite issue.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

When teams are down 15+ like the Heat were last night, they'd love to have the Suns shoot early in the shot clock.

I have no problem with the Suns draining the shot clock to under 10 seconds, but like you said, more of those shots should be at the rim.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:07 pm
When teams are down 15+ like the Heat were last night, they'd love to have the Suns shoot early in the shot clock.

I have no problem with the Suns draining the shot clock to under 10 seconds, but like you said, more of those shots should be at the rim.
We need a balanced attack. Can't slow it down the whole 4th. It's been a recipe for disaster.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:12 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:07 pm

We need a balanced attack. Can't slow it down the whole 4th. It's been a recipe for disaster.
I want us to play at the pace that builds giant leads. This draining the shot clock nonsense and trying to run a different gear in the 4th has been a huge disaster.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

A problem with that is how often the officiating changes in the 4th quarter.

My personal conspiracy theory is that officials are more lenient toward the trailing team in the 4th quarter and it's often directly proportional to the deficit.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:26 pm

My personal conspiracy theory is that officials are more lenient toward the trailing team in the 4th quarter and it's often directly proportional to the deficit.
That’s a theory in video game sports too. It’s called rubber band AI. NBA Jam used to do it for sure though to keep the games competitive. Once you got a big lead your shots started falling less and your opponents more. They accused us of this in The Show but I can assure you that was not the case.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:15 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

That’s a theory in video game sports too. It’s called rubber band AI. NBA Jam used to do it for sure though to keep the games competitive. Once you got a big lead your shots started falling less and your opponents more. They accused us of this in The Show but I can assure you that was not the case.
Little did they know, baseball games don't have 4th quarters.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:30 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:15 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Little did they know, baseball games don't have 4th quarters.
► Show Spoiler
And you don’t score any points either.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think there’s benefit in running some clock when the defense is back and set, but I would love to see us still push in transition to try and get easy buckets. Someone posted the numbers that showed we have the leagues slowest pace in the 4th Q. We also have by far the worst offense.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Run it up. I DGAF. Instead of holding the 20 point lead into the 4th, beat them by 30 to 40. The SSOL squad had no problem destroying teams.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I am just opposed to prevent style systems in general. I hate them in football and hate them in basketball. Keep playing the way that got you the lead. We are already a slow team, we don’t need to slow down even more in the 4th. That was a CP3 feature. He was maybe the best in the league at using the clock and getting a great shot. He’s gone and we need to adjust.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:43 am
I think there’s benefit in running some clock when the defense is back and set, but I would love to see us still push in transition to try and get easy buckets. Someone posted the numbers that showed we have the leagues slowest pace in the 4th Q. We also have by far the worst offense.
Thank you!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:15 am
Run it up. I DGAF. Instead of holding the 20 point lead into the 4th, beat them by 30 to 40. The SSOL squad had no problem destroying teams.
Thank you!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:22 am
Ya I am just opposed to prevent style systems in general. I hate them in football and hate them in basketball. Keep playing the way that got you the lead. We are already a slow team, we don’t need to slow down even more in the 4th. That was a CP3 feature. He was maybe the best in the league at using the clock and getting a great shot. He’s gone and we need to adjust.
Thank you!
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think it's simple. Get the ball up quickly and look for a great shot, regardless of when it comes in the shot clock. The mediocre shot with 5 seconds left in the clock with always be there.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yep, try to get a quick good look…if not, give it to KD or Book to put up a contested mid range shot.