Suns trade for Royce O’Neale

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
England Sun

Re: Suns trade for Royce O’Neale

Post by England Sun »

Bucktastic365 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:17 am
What I thought we needed more than anything was a secondary rebounder for when our bigs switched. Is he a good rebounder?

If we can secure the 1st defensive rebound consistently I can't see many teams beating us
Same. For me the two biggest challenges we seem to face are our turn overs and especially giving up so many O rebounds.
We gave up 19 o rebounds to the Jazz. 19 and yes, we still won but on so many occasions we are giving opponents so many second looks we get beat.

Just having that stat drop by 20/30% puts us higher in defensive rating.

Coupled with less turn overs and we are becoming comfortably a top 10 defensive team.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Vogel, Beal and KD on the trades
Spoiler: show/hide

Split T

Post by Split T »

England Sun wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:21 am
Bucktastic365 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:17 am
What I thought we needed more than anything was a secondary rebounder for when our bigs switched. Is he a good rebounder?

If we can secure the 1st defensive rebound consistently I can't see many teams beating us
Same. For me the two biggest challenges we seem to face are our turn overs and especially giving up so many O rebounds.
We gave up 19 o rebounds to the Jazz. 19 and yes, we still won but on so many occasions we are giving opponents so many second looks we get beat.

Just having that stat drop by 20/30% puts us higher in defensive rating.

Coupled with less turn overs and we are becoming comfortably a top 10 defensive team.
Royce is a decent rebounder..but nothing special…slightly higher than Okogie at rebound rate. He is an underrated passer.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think Okogie is a better rebounder and energy player. Royce is more like KBD but not clueless.

I hope no one is disillusioned, this trade doesn't automatically propel the Suns into a higher tier. However, it provides a better understanding of their lineup dynamic for the rest of this season and that was a complete unknown 48 hours ago when they had a bunch of guys in limbo from night to night.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Royce has the higher rebound rate, but it’s basically a wash. Point is he doesn’t really help our rebounding because he’s either the same or not significantly different than the guys he’d replace.

The biggest difference is he’s a capable catch and shoot guy. Okogie is not. Royce will make 40% of his wide open 3s. He’s also more skilled as a passer.

He’s not the defender Okogie is, but he’s better than Grayson. He’s not as slow defensively as KBD. I think he’s mostly the Okogie replacement, but he’ll definitely take some of the KBD minutes

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:53 am
I think Okogie is a better rebounder and energy player. Royce is more like KBD but not clueless.

I hope no one is disillusioned, this trade doesn't automatically propel the Suns into a higher tier. However, it provides a better understanding of their lineup dynamic for the rest of this season and that was a complete unknown 48 hours ago when they had a bunch of guys in limbo from night to night.
Oh, we're backing off now? I got the impression he was the best thing since sliced bread from you all. I'm expecting championship now based on what I've read here. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

First of all, I'm just going to come out and say it. Not a fan of Grayson wielding a styrofoam cup with a pink straw. But some good insight here about O'Neale:

"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:36 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Oh, we're backing off now? I got the impression he was the best thing since sliced bread from you all. I'm expecting championship now based on what I've read here. ;)
Pretty sure all we said was that he’s good enough for the 8 man rotation which wasn’t the case for anyone who was sent out.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:28 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:36 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Pretty sure all we said was that he’s good enough for the 8 man rotation which wasn’t the case for anyone who was sent out.
Note the winky face. I hope he helps.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I should have nicknamed him Royce “You Know” O’Neale:

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I had forgotten about RO's time on the Jazz. This guy has been a 30mpg starter on a winning team. Pretty great to addition for what he cost. He can easily take Gordon's minutes when EG is having an off night. I wonder if he ends up passing EG in the depth chart by the playoffs.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s going to be interesting…In the last game we were healthy before Royce played, we went with an 8 man rotation(Okogie only played 4 minutes). The Jazz game is tough to use because Booker didn’t play. In the Warriors game we went with a 10-man rotation(Bol, Okogie, Royce all about 10 minutes). Ultimately I think Royce just takes the Okogie minutes and that pushes him into the 20 range and drops us to a 9-man rotation. I’d then probably hope that Bol or a buyout guy(Thad) could take the Eubanks minutes. Or if Eubanks steps up maybe he can keep them and we just stick with a 9 man rotation. Royce could also steal the Bol minutes if we want to push him up near 30 minutes. He’s also likely to start stealing some Allen minutes as we might want to close with defense over offense.

It is also nice to have another option when EG just doesn’t have it. Royce can take those minutes pretty easily. It’s still small, but Royce replacing EG in the KD at the 5 lineup and Beal, Book, Allen out there is one I’m looking forward to seeing.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It’s just nice to have a better defensive lineup available as well. Was Royce in the final 3 second lineup of the Warriors game? If not, he should have been. Both Okogie and O’Neale should have been out there.

That last play still eats at me. No way Curry should have gotten that open of a shot. I suppose we can blame Beal for that but there should have been a secondary defender on him as well. Anybody but Curry should have been the plan.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:07 pm
It’s just nice to have a better defensive lineup available as well. Was Royce in the final 3 second lineup of the Warriors game? If not, he should have been. Both Okogie and O’Neale should have been out there.

That last play still eats at me. No way Curry should have gotten that open of a shot. I suppose we can blame Beal for that but there should have been a secondary defender on him as well. Anybody but Curry should have been the plan.
The Warriors were smart enough to take Curry out for their final defensive possession. We should be smart enough to put in a weird defense-first lineup when an end-of-game stop really matters, including Okogie, O'Neale, Bol, Durant, and whomever else (Booker? Beal? Eubanks?).

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:54 pm
I had forgotten about RO's time on the Jazz. This guy has been a 30mpg starter on a winning team. Pretty great to addition for what he cost.
Yep, he’s the one who caused the Windhorst memes (“What’s going on in Utah?”), when everyone was surprised the Jazz traded him for a first round pick (Nets were trying to keep Durant happy).
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Going swimmingly ✌️👍

Cap

Post by Cap »

Anyone miss Yuta, Metu, Goodwin or KBD?

Nah, me neither.

The picks?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Royce was awesome. 20 points and 10 rebounds in 37 minutes. Bravo. Really a great overall effort by our starters + Bol off the bench. KD really struggled but contributed enough to help us get the W.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Missed some wide open 3s last night but still another game where his value was clear to see

Suns fans worldwide obviously loved this too lol