2024 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: 2024 NBA Draft

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Cap wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:56 pm
Even against non-NBA competition, it’s obvious Edey is way better than Drew Eubanks. Too bad he’ll be off the board when we draft.
25.5 is the most common draft position O/U I’ve seen posted by bookmakers. Seems like he’ll be drafted in the Suns range.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:00 pm
Cap wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:19 pm
Well, we’re going to be drafting in the top 21, and I wouldn’t want to pass on him. He should not drop below us.
Looking forward to Haliburton all over again.
Edey isn’t in the same universe as a draft prospect as Halliburton.

I’m still very skeptical of projecting Eddy’s upside in the NBA. A lot of the stuff he did in college won’t translate right away if ever, and he’ll always be one of the slowest guys in the league laterally.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Is the lack of big men being dominant in the league a product of a changed league or a product of a very limited number quality big men? There a few the dominate(when healthy): Embid, Jokic, Davis, Giannis. I think Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Olajuwon would be dominant in any league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:53 pm
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Well, we’re going to be drafting in the top 21, and I wouldn’t want to pass on him. He should not drop below us.

I’m still very skeptical of projecting Eddy’s upside in the NBA. A lot of the stuff he did in college won’t translate right away if ever, and he’ll always be one of the slowest guys in the league laterally.
I didn't mean to compare their value. Just that Edey would be available and we'd pass over him a la Haliburton while all of .net wanted it to happen.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:48 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:53 pm
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:

I didn't mean to compare their value. Just that Edey would be available and we'd pass over him a la Haliburton while all of .net wanted it to happen.
Speaking of which, I was just watching him in the championship game and he looks too slow for the NBA to me. Also doesn’t seem to have very good touch around the rim. Just seems to throw it toward the hoop. I’m thinking there must be better prospects we could draft.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wouldn't draft someone just because they're athletic, but we need some size with athleticism in the frontcourt.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s too bad we won’t know if we can retain Bol or not before the draft. I know you aren’t really supposed to draft for need, but I think it makes sense for us if we keep the pick. I want to see how the playoffs go.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Drafting for need is problematic, but we have a pretty glaring one at backup 5, and no obvious way to address it in free agency or by trade.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We do have a backup 5 need…I think I’d look at Yves Missi and Kel’el Ware before Edey. They just have skill sets that fit the modern nba. I just worry Edey is a situational player and not one that will make sense in every situation. I certainly haven’t followed Edey much and could very well be wrong

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What Edey has going for him is that he has put up some of the best numbers of any prospect in years and done it in multiple years. He also makes for a huge target, does a great job of feeling his man, sealing him and catching it in the post. He doesn't have the most moves and countermoves in the post, but he usually has great touch around the basket and doesn't turn the ball over when he gets it(knocked out of his hands, fumbled the pass, allow the defender to get in front of him).

If you look at the future need to have someone to at least give Wemby some trouble in the future, I think that Edey can do that, at least a little bit. The Suns can't afford to just punt for the next 15 years to the Spurs. They've already lost 3 of 4 games to them this year.

Is he slow? Yes. Does he hold his own on the perimeter better than expected? Yes. Is he a better prospect than Clingan? No. Will he be much much better than Eubanks? Absolutely. Could he become better than Nurk? I think that's a definite possibility if you look at how good he's become in a relatively short time.

It's between a 12 to 22 point difference between Nurk and Eubanks, and I don't think that Nurk is all that great of a center. He's good, but not close to great.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Can Edey play in our system? We don’t throw the ball to a low post big. Can he screen and roll? Is he a lob threat? Can he catch a bounce pass? Can he dribble or pass out of the short roll? Can he play up at the level on defense?

I don’t question his ability to be at least a decent low post player, are we going to change up how we play when he comes in?

I’d rather just get a known, athletic rim running lob threat that can also protect the rim. Or get me a true stretch 5

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

I guess the question I asked yesterday doesn’t matter. So never mind.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I didn’t remember seeing your question, but I’d say a changed league. We discovered that a post centric offense wasn’t very efficient. Defense also ended up hurting a lot of big men of the past.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SunsRIt wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:11 pm
Is the lack of big men being dominant in the league a product of a changed league or a product of a very limited number quality big men? There a few the dominate(when healthy): Embid, Jokic, Davis, Giannis. I think Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Olajuwon would be dominant in any league.
I think that the skill set of centers has changed for them to be successful. Looking back at essentially the last 5 MVPs, you could argue that they were all centers(Giannis is 7 footer, or close to 7 ft and would be a center in the past). As they get more guard skills, they are becoming dominate again.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:06 am
Can Edey play in our system? We don’t throw the ball to a low post big. Can he screen and roll? Is he a lob threat? Can he catch a bounce pass? Can he dribble or pass out of the short roll? Can he play up at the level on defense?

I don’t question his ability to be at least a decent low post player, are we going to change up how we play when he comes in?

I’d rather just get a known, athletic rim running lob threat that can also protect the rim. Or get me a true stretch 5
Can we change the system to incorporate the center? I'm not a huge fan of Kevin Young's system. I think they should have more movement to make it harder on the defense. We do pass into the post, whether it's Nurk or even KD. Edey has been pretty good at reading the double teams and getting it to the open man from the post. I think he will continue to get better at that.

Can Ishbia hire Danny Hurley as the head coach? I think he has a better understanding of movement in the offense. The Suns do too much standing around, imo.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would love it if the Suns drafted Edey. At that point in the late 1st round you're looking for a guy who can play, who can stick on a roster. Edey has been one of the best players in college basketball for multiple years. I get that not all of his skills transfer perfectly to the NBA, but IMO people overdo this sort of prognostication about well vetted guys becoming trash when they go pro. Edey has played in a bunch of high pressure games and has many high-level skills like his rebounding, interior defense, and post moves. Folks say he's too big and lumbering for the NBA, but IMO we're about to enter an era where several teams have these "praying mantis" very-tall-but-skinny bigs like Wemby, Chet, Gobert, etc. and I think a big sturdy guy like Edey will actually be tough for those guys because they won't have the bulk to stop him or move him. I'd much, much rather take a chance on a proven guy like Edey than some random "potential" kid who hasn't shown much.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You could add in Embiid, who is 7'1"-7'2" and Jokic who is also big, along with Valanciunas and Brook Lopez, along with Alex Sarr & Clingan coming in this next season at 7'1" & 7'2". It helps to have a really big guy that deters guys driving to the basket and is long enough to beat people to a rebound.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:50 am
I wouldn't draft someone just because they're athletic, but we need some size with athleticism in the frontcourt.
What if he's just another Boban?
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:06 am
I would love it if the Suns drafted Edey. At that point in the late 1st round you're looking for a guy who can play, who can stick on a roster. Edey has been one of the best players in college basketball for multiple years. I get that not all of his skills transfer perfectly to the NBA, but IMO people overdo this sort of prognostication about well vetted guys becoming trash when they go pro. Edey has played in a bunch of high pressure games and has many high-level skills like his rebounding, interior defense, and post moves. Folks say he's too big and lumbering for the NBA, but IMO we're about to enter an era where several teams have these "praying mantis" very-tall-but-skinny bigs like Wemby, Chet, Gobert, etc. and I think a big sturdy guy like Edey will actually be tough for those guys because they won't have the bulk to stop him or move him. I'd much, much rather take a chance on a proven guy like Edey than some random "potential" kid who hasn't shown much.
You may be right, but there is definitely a history of great college players not being nba players…Hansbrough, Morrison, Freddette, etc.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:45 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:06 am
You may be right, but there is definitely a history of great college players not being nba players…Hansbrough, Morrison, Freddette, etc.
This is true. Edey doesn't have the same problems that each of these did in their transition, but it doesn't mean he won't have his own unique limitations.