Game Day: Suns (33-23) @ Rockets (24-31), Friday 2/23/24

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Game Day: Suns (33-23) @ Rockets (24-31), Friday 2/23/24

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:49 pm
Jordy Fernandez…I don’t have a problem with the offense other than it’s too slow. If Vogel/Young can get them to play with pace I’m all for it. Jordy is the Kings offensive architect and they definitely play with pace. Helps that they have Fox who’s maybe the fastest player with the ball in the league.
At least the Suns have an old shitty version of Sabonis.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Offensive pace hasn’t been an issue for at least a month. They’re ranked 3rd in pace and 6th in possessions over that time.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:57 am
Offensive pace hasn’t been an issue for at least a month. They’re ranked 3rd in pace and 6th in possessions over that time.
That I did not know. I don’t know what people are complaining about then…just not used to an offense that shares the offensive creation

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:02 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:57 am
That I did not know. I don’t know what people are complaining about then…just not used to an offense that shares the offensive creation
I don't know how to reconcile the "eye test" with pace / possession stats like those. But I just see the Suns bring the ball up the court slowly in the hands of Book or KD and run a lot of ISO plays. Maybe those plays have a good "pace" but they don't seem very collaborative or efficient to me.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I was comparing some of the numbers this year to past seasons and the biggest difference seems to come down to 2 things. We are significantly worse at taking care of the ball(which makes sense as CP3 might be the best pg at taking care of the ball in nba history) but make up for that offensively by getting to the free throw line at a way higher rate than we ever have.

I love four factors…it shows we are very efficient when we take shots(6th most efficient in the league), elite at getting to the line(2nd in the nba at ft/fga), average at offensive rebounds(13th in the league), and bad at taking care of the ball. Defensively we are good at forcing inefficient shots(9th in opponent efg%), great at not fouling(6th in ft/fga), poor at forcing turnovers(22nd) and bad at defensive rebounding(23rd).

This tells me we have two major issues we need to clean up(turnovers on offense and giving up offensive rebounds). We are a pretty elite team per possession, we just always give the other team more possessions and they make up that ground.