Game Day: Rockets (25-34) @ Suns (35-24), Sat 3/2/24

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
MightyMoog

Re: Game Day: Rockets (25-34) @ Suns (35-24), Sat 3/2/24

Post by MightyMoog »

This is the season from hell

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This team is not a contender. We should not lose to a Houston team like this. And now both Nurk and Book leave the game with possible injuries? Ruh roh.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

They weren't ready tonight at tipoff. Allen didn't give them squat and without Nurk in they don;t have any big bodies to clog the paint.

The really need to consentrate on roster construction this offseason.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:16 pm
We sloppy early
That was not a fun one from start to finish. Glad they got back into it but the two times they did, Houston quickly pulled away again. At least Amare got a nice ceremony.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:40 pm
That doesn’t look good. Book straight to the locker room.
What a way to end the game.
"Be Legendary."

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:44 pm
This team is not a contender. We should not lose to a Houston team like this. And now both Nurk and Book leave the game with possible injuries? Ruh roh.
I couldn't agree more. Enough with all the positivity and nonsense about them needing time to work things out - this is an experienced group of players and that time has passed. Their identity is inconsistency and they just don't have enough around the big 3 to mount a serious challenge in the playoffs irrespective of how much we try to kid ourselves that they do.

It's sad as I had really high hopes for this season but they're destined for a second round exit again at best.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Postgame Quotes and Videos
Spoiler: show/hide

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Too many times this team is going through the motions. Say what you want about Monty, but the team believed in him and the system and he motivated and inspired the players (well most of them). Effort was never a question with his teams. Vogel may be a good Xs and Os coach, but I don't think these guys are really playing for him. He seems like a good guy but he's not calling his players out for effort or sloppiness the way he needs to, so nothing is changing. That's probably why he was fired in LA and why he supposedly lost the lockerroom a year after winning a title.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:34 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:44 pm
I couldn't agree more. Enough with all the positivity and nonsense about them needing time to work things out - this is an experienced group of players and that time has passed. Their identity is inconsistency and they just don't have enough around the big 3 to mount a serious challenge in the playoffs irrespective of how much we try to kid ourselves that they do.

It's sad as I had really high hopes for this season but they're destined for a second round exit again at best.
More like Big 1.7. Beal is always out and KD has been looking 41. Book has been mixed up with two chicas for a minute and is now back with the Jenner.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

We can change the roster all we want. The team will still underachieve.

I couldn't count how many timea we pass the ball to the 3 point line for someone to pump fake, dribble ibto the defense, pass out, pump fake, repeat, take a contested 2.

Talent wise, we have a great roster. But we take all the worst shots and worst passes all game.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:23 am
We can change the roster all we want. The team will still underachieve.

I couldn't count how many timea we pass the ball to the 3 point line for someone to pump fake, dribble ibto the defense, pass out, pump fake, repeat, take a contested 2.

Talent wise, we have a great roster. But we take all the worst shots and worst passes all game.
You can also add the number of times Booker has dribbled out between the circles and killed the shot clock and the number of times Nurkic was the only one interested in getting a rebound. This team definitely needs a Raja Bell, Dan Majerle, P.J. Tucker, Maurice Lucas, Paul Silas high-intensity type - somebody who could crank up the focus in their laissez-faire country club locker room since the coaching staff doesn't seem to demand it.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This team is a cautionary tale in general management and roster construction. Among the valuable lessons everyone should learn from this team:

- Don't mortgage a decade's worth of assets to go "all in" on one year's team.
- Don't over-focus on a "big 2" or "big 3" to the detriment of the rest of your roster.
- Make sure just about everyone on your roster can defend well at their position.
- Make sure your starting lineup and bench both have facilitators, guys who run an offense, not just scorers.
- Don't trade young for old. Don't trade a ton of picks for a 35-year-old player.
- Don't hire a coach who is incapable of pushing your talent to do what they need to do to succeed.
- Don't let your players drive your roster construction.

What did I miss?

TOO

Post by TOO »

That post really should just say don't hire James Jones.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

James Jones was doing a good enough job. Sarver kept him from spending and Ishbia pushed the deal through for KD to make a splash. Jones has had to work work around these things and done so pretty successfully. Grass isn't greener be it with players, coaches or execs.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

If you load up on stars. Make sure they don't play the same position.

TOO

Post by TOO »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:42 am
James Jones was doing a good enough job. Sarver kept him from spending and Ishbia pushed the deal through for KD to make a splash. Jones has had to work work around these things and done so pretty successfully. Grass isn't greener be it with players, coaches or execs.
Sure, man.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:31 am
This team is a cautionary tale in general management and roster construction. Among the valuable lessons everyone should learn from this team:

- Don't mortgage a decade's worth of assets to go "all in" on one year's team.
- Don't over-focus on a "big 2" or "big 3" to the detriment of the rest of your roster.
- Make sure just about everyone on your roster can defend well at their position.
- Make sure your starting lineup and bench both have facilitators, guys who run an offense, not just scorers.
- Don't trade young for old. Don't trade a ton of picks for a 35-year-old player.
- Don't hire a coach who is incapable of pushing your talent to do what they need to do to succeed.
- Don't let your players drive your roster construction.

What did I miss?
You missed make sure you have the best player in the nba on your roster.

I don’t think we should make any sort of hard and fast rules like this. We traded young for old when we acquired CP3, was that bad? We are also on year 2 of the all-in team. We also have the key figures locked up…this was mortgaging 4 1sts for a 4 year all-in run.

Do people wish we could take back the KD trade? I still think it’s an absolute must do. The team we had was not winning anything either. We definitely upped our chances by acquiring KD. Did we improve enough to give up the 27 and 29 1sts when KD is gone? I think so…if we hadn’t made the trade we’d probably be in basically the same position record wise and everyone would be clamoring for a big move to lift the ceiling of the roster.

Only 1 team wins the title. Is it better to not win but have false hope for the future because you have some crappy late 1sts or to not win and have no hope for the future because you don’t have a couple crappy late 1sts?

I’d rather take the route that might actually win, even if it’s still unlikely.

I don’t think this team is winning anything, but I’m not as down on them as some of you are. The pieces are there, they need to stay healthy, get comfortable together, and stop turning the ball over(this and defensive rebounding is our biggest issue imo). Booker turning back into Jordan for the playoffs would be nice as well.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Finally got around to watching that clinker of a game. Wish I hadn't.

Amares celebration was great. Sorry that he spoke so much about heart only to have the Suns come out and play with none.

This is an incredibly unserious basketball team.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

We need a new coach. Period

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

With no healthy big 3, it’s a disaster. Most vulnerable is the offense that has no point guard who can take care for the ball in the 4th when games get tight. I don’t know how much coaching matters- look at all overqualified assistant coaches we have already. I’m not sure it’s all just effort, it’s hard to maintain effort when you’re turning it over on offense all the time. It’d probably work if Beal was consistently available- we’ve seen flashes of how good it can be.