Game Day (Early Start!): Suns (39-28) @ Bucks (43-24), Sun 3/17/24

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Game Day (Early Start!): Suns (39-28) @ Bucks (43-24), Sun 3/17/24

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:52 pm
MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:32 pm
I don’t understand how Ish jumps the depth chart over Thad?

I’m ready for this team to be stripped down and started from scratch. Trade the big 3 while they still have value.

Fire the GM, fire the coach and the staff. Build a team that can work in the new NBA. Since the NBA decided not to call fouls, puts this team at a huge disadvantage.
You're kind of stuck with Beal. I'd love to deal Book. He's peaked. He isn't a leader and the modern game isn't his jam. Move on from him. He's more focused on his sneakers and lifestyle
Plus, he's the one with the most value.

Looks like they miss Chris Paul A LOT more than they thought they would - too bad he got old overnight. They went from being unbeatable late in games to not being able to walk and chew gum at the same time.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:52 pm
MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:32 pm
I don’t understand how Ish jumps the depth chart over Thad?

I’m ready for this team to be stripped down and started from scratch. Trade the big 3 while they still have value.

Fire the GM, fire the coach and the staff. Build a team that can work in the new NBA. Since the NBA decided not to call fouls, puts this team at a huge disadvantage.
You're kind of stuck with Beal. I'd love to deal Book. He's peaked. He isn't a leader and the modern game isn't his jam. Move on from him. He's more focused on his sneakers and lifestyle
I'm with you when it comes to dealing Book. He's arguably reached his ceiling now and just seems distracted with the shoes, lifestyle and fame, as you say. He's also lost that fire that he had and seems content trying to out duel the opposing teams best player irrespective of whether or not it's in the team's best interests.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:07 am
This one of those games where someone should get fired. Seriously.
Giving up 82 first half points is pretty inexcusible.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

TOO

Post by TOO »

24 3s allowed, after 25 against Boston, I don't know how that happens, no adjustments made, just allow wide open 3s. Suns shot 59% from the field and lost by double digits. That's insane.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I will be honest
I was smh at tip off when I noticed it seemed like a new color way he was wearing for today's game

But.....
Despite my frustration with Book, I can't get to the He's lost his hunger and is complacent now
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Oooof. They tore our hearts out in the 1st half, then dug us even deeper in the 3rd, then we come roaring back, then they stomp us down again.

As others have said, our defense was absolutely atrocious. The Bucks are a very good team, but we made them look like the dynasty Warriors out there or something. It's really becoming clear that our team stinks defensively the more games we play. We also had some guys not really give us their best: KD had only 11 points on 4-10 shooting; Nurk gave us only 8 and 6; etc. I also don't get the rotations right now. Why is Ish Wainwright getting steady minutes? Why did we sign Thad Young only to bury him?

Some positives: Beal had a genuinely very good game, looking hungry and attacking the basket for 28 points. Also played good defense and had 7 assists. Grayson Allen lit up his old team for 25 points and six 3s. Royce O'Neale shook off his slump again with 16 points, four 3s, and some gritty defense against Bobby Portis. Eric Gordon had another solid night with 10 points on 4-5 shooting.

We just ... aren't a contender. This team can't get its head out of its own ass for more than a game or two at a time. We screwed up in our roster construction. We got a bunch of skilled individual offensive players but not enough guys who play excellent defense, not enough guys who can create for others or make others better, not enough guys who can rebound. We take tough contested long-2s and 3s too much on offense, and we're a turnstile too much on defense. We can get hot from time to time, but overall we're not that hard to beat. I don't think this team is capable of winning a 7-game playoff series against very many potential West opponents unless the opponent suffers a big injury.

It really feels like Frank Vogel should be fired. He's a "defensive" coach, but this team's defense is atrocious. We may want to fire James Jones in the offseason, too. I like the idea of bringing in Bob Myers.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I can't figure out which is worse; the Suns 3-point defense or "trade Devin Booker" takes.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Postgame Quotes and Videos
Spoiler: show/hide

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Game Summary: Suns’ 1st half strategy of trading open 3s for contested 2s, shockingly, leads to a loss.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:45 pm
I can't figure out which is worse; the Suns 3-point defense or "trade Devin Booker" takes.
Agreed. Book has struggled lately, and he isn't giving us exactly what we need. But that's partly our bad roster construction that decided to put him in the wrong role as "Point Book." As we've already discussed, that just isn't what he is best at. You need a facilitator next to Booker to get the most out of him. I absolutely don't want to trade Booker; put the right team together and Book can easily serve as your #1 or #1A best player and end-of-game scorer. Book + KD + Beal + no facilitators is the wrong combination.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We're cooked. We've seen enough teams quit on coaches to know what it looks like and Vogel's lost this team IMO. Sometimes they played hard, sometimes they move the ball, sometimes they play like there's a scheme but a lot of times they just don't look like they believe in the gameplan or philosophy. I think Book knows it because he played on really good teams very recently that were coached well, with teammates who played for each other and that's not what he's got this year. His demeanor and body language have been off the more the season's gotten away from everyone.

KD is KD and just wants to show up. He's a total drag when things get tough. Beal seems to only play well when he can be a scoring guard on the floor with 4 other lesser players - which probably goes back to him playing on shit teams for a decade in Washington. They'll keep trying because of pride and competitiveness and to save face but I think they all know it's not there.

There's more to playing point than just bringing the ball up and passing to someone. There's playing with pace, understanding time and score, early-mid-late game situations, going to the hot hand, trying to get someone going by getting them an easy look; Book's not there with it and it's too much to ask him to do all that and score 25-30 a night. Maybe if we had a motion/spread/0.5 offense that was predicated on passing and cutting it could work but that's not what we're running.

You hear the same things now after every game from Vogel and the players. It's tiresome. They have no answers at this point otherwise they would've solved these problems. Feels like everyone's just ready to get the season over with and see what happens.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Don’t get me wrong, Book is still my favorite player. But how do you rebuild around him? Would he even want to stick around for that after what he went through early in his career?

Passing on Haliburton is a mistake I don’t think this current iteration can get past. Just don’t see the utility in wasting another 2-3 years on pipe dreams.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Trading a top 15 player in the midst of his prime for mystery boxes of young players and picks is the literal definition of "pipe dream".
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:11 am
10 am start time? That’s about the time some of those guys usually wake up. I predict a lot of bricks being laid early in the game and a quick lead by the Bucks. I predict early foul trouble for the Suns too. Maybe they wake up in the second half and make a miraculous comeback in the third to tie it up only to lose to a 16-2 run at the start of the 4th. You’re welcome. 😜
You pretty much nailed it, dude.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:45 pm
I’m not ready to trade him but he does have issues as you’ll see in my notes.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I watched very late today and in fits and starts. Here are my notes:

Total idiocy from Durant as he passes out from an open shot in the lane to Nurk behind the 3 point line as the shot clock expires.

Team in general making horrible pass decisions in close quarters to one another. Most getting picked off for turnovers.

Horrible porous defense leaving lots of wide open shots.

What’s with the jittery broadcast video for most of the first half? Was that just me?

Even the announcer is getting into it. “Wide open of course…and a 3 good. If you’re a Suns fan watching this you have to be shaking your head saying ‘What am I witnessing?!’ No Giannis yet Milwaukee getting whatever they want.”

This team got embarrassed. Allowed 82 points in the first half. This team will be lucky to get past the play-in even into the playoffs. My evaluation has changed to now we’d be lucky if we make the top 8 and get into the real playoffs.

These guys don’t care. We have no vocal leadership including coaching. I didn’t even mention the multiple offensive rebounds the Bucks were getting. I feel for Ishbia with all the money he put into this team to get these sad results.

This first half was reminiscent of the playoff blowouts. I love Book but now he has a whole new group with the same results. At some point, we might need to point the finger his way. His defense is quite suspect. I see many times now how he turns his back on shooters. Good shooters. And allows them wide open 3s.

Let’s see if they rollover in the 2nd half…

8-0 run in the third to get within 13. Announcer says their intensity as picked up. Yeah, a half too late. Got it to 6 with 1:28 left in the 3rd. Followed by a 9-0 Bucks run to end the third with a 15 point lead.

What happened to Booker’s 3? 0-5 with 9 minutes left in the 4th. Many wide open. Back to 10 with 7:27 left. The team keeps fighting but always from behind. Can’t put together 4 solid quarters. Glad to see O’Neale get his three back. Beal 2, obviously fouled but no call; back to 7.

Beasley wide open 3; back to 10. Wide open Crowder 3. Notice a pattern? Another wide open Crowder 3. Help me out here but I really do think I see a pattern. That Lillard guy is pretty good. Hits a dagger 3.

Tl:dr

Suns have no sense of urgency. Can’t put together 4 solid quarters. Not a very good team. The sum total is less than its parts. Starting to have some doubts about Booker.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Don't your own expectations frame any doubts?

I think we've known for a long time that he's maximizing his size, athleticism and talent, yet he's been the best SG in the game in recent years. Mitchell has had a resurgence and Edwards is carving out his own claim to that title this season so it's not as clear cut as it has been, but what are we really talking about?

I would be surprised if you're questioning his commitment like it seems some others are. He needs help to be successful just like anyone else in the league, and right now the pieces around him don't seem to be fitting together.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:30 pm
Don't your own expectations frame any doubts?

I think we've known for a long time that he's maximizing his size, athleticism and talent, yet he's been the best SG in the game in recent years. Mitchell has had a resurgence and Edwards is carving out his own claim to that title this season so it's not as clear cut as it has been, but what are we really talking about?

I would be surprised if you're questioning his commitment like it seems some others are. He needs help to be successful just like anyone else in the league, and right now the pieces around him don't seem to be fitting together.
No, I'm not questioning his commitment. But maybe his leadership. He and Durant both appear to be leader by example types but not like a Kobe type killer for example. Or even Paul. I think maybe he needs to be a 1B or maybe #2. I don't know. What do you think?

It's just that he's had two totally different squads and both have shown these tendencies to get blown out in big games. Why does this team have such a lack of urgency? I don't think Book is the type to get on them and get them to ratchet up the intensity. Book's defense has been atrocious lately. Seems he loves to turn his back on the open shooters and give them wide open opportunities. That's not elite.
"Be Legendary."

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

We’re toast. If we can’t play with consistent effort and hustle with this few games remaining it won’t matter if we are (theoretically) able to turn it up/on in the playoffs as we will be sitting on the outside watching. Would anyone be confident of us beating the Lakers or Warriors in a one-off game at this stage?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Gladiator wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:32 pm
We’re toast. If we can’t play with consistent effort and hustle with this few games remaining it won’t matter if we are (theoretically) able to turn it up/on in the playoffs as we will be sitting on the outside watching. Would anyone be confident of us beating the Lakers or Warriors in a one-off game at this stage?
How can anybody be confident in anything with this Suns team?
"Be Legendary."