Game Day: Suns (43-30) @ Thunder (50-22), Fri 3/29/24

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Game Day: Suns (43-30) @ Thunder (50-22), Fri 3/29/24

Post by bajanguy008 »

Watched the 1st half before work and was ready to echo what others said that I felt like the guys were solid on D for the most part. OKC just had it going

After the slow start to the 3rd just now, I got impatient and jumped forward to see if we made a run aannndd guess not.
Not sure when I watching that over for context but that was a humbling.....
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This team sucks. It is not a contender. We got stomped by OKC without their best player. We didn't even play that badly, for us. But this is who we are; we are mediocre. There are like 5-6 teams in the West that are clearly much better than we are.

I watched this one until near the end of the 3rd but it wasn't ever close. I just don't think you can build a contender with so many minus defenders on your roster, and without any clear initiators on offense. It's deeply flawed roster construction.

We're due for some more bad losses to end the season since we have one of the toughest schedules to end the year. So we aren't going to turn this around.

OKC, btw, wow what a team and franchise. They not only have one of the best teams in the West, but they also have an absolutely ridiculous war chest of picks and assets going forward for the next decade. It really seems like they have an inside track to build a dynasty there. That's the team I am most envious of in the whole NBA.

Somebody mentioned letting Durant end his career in OKC. I don't think he would go for it, but honestly, it would be the best way to dig out of this mess we're in. Trade KD to OKC for a promising young player and like four future 1sts. Then we could start to rebuild. It won't happen, but it would honestly be fair for both teams.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 pm
Nodack wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 pm
That was a real ass kicking by OKC. Totally outclassed the Suns. Winning every other game is going to put them in danger of not even going to the playoffs. I did watch the game. The refs did make some pretty bad calls. Not enough to change this outcome though.
OKC played a fantastic game. They didn’t need any extra help. I just wish they would have called it evenly.
And we didn't. There is zero excuse to get blown out by 20 with their best player missing. We have a more talented roster. Our leaders aren't leading and our coach continues to just let the players play. No adjustments, no scheme changes, no ripping in to KD for making his 500th bounce pass turnover. There was no resistance in trying to stop dribble penetration. OKC got whatever they wanted all game and the Suns flat out quit in the second half

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:49 am
This team sucks. It is not a contender. We got stomped by OKC without their best player. We didn't even play that badly, for us. But this is who we are; we are mediocre. There are like 5-6 teams in the West that are clearly much better than we are.

I watched this one until near the end of the 3rd but it wasn't ever close. I just don't think you can build a contender with so many minus defenders on your roster, and without any clear initiators on offense. It's deeply flawed roster construction.

We're due for some more bad losses to end the season since we have one of the toughest schedules to end the year. So we aren't going to turn this around.

OKC, btw, wow what a team and franchise. They not only have one of the best teams in the West, but they also have an absolutely ridiculous war chest of picks and assets going forward for the next decade. It really seems like they have an inside track to build a dynasty there. That's the team I am most envious of in the whole NBA.

Somebody mentioned letting Durant end his career in OKC. I don't think he would go for it, but honestly, it would be the best way to dig out of this mess we're in. Trade KD to OKC for a promising young player and like four future 1sts. Then we could start to rebuild. It won't happen, but it would honestly be fair for both teams.
They built it from the ground up with picks like we did with Booker, Bridges, Johnson, Ayton, etc. We went to the Championship with CP3’s help. Then we decided that that team was never going to get there again, so we traded the farm and the new product is underperforming. OKC should stay the course and not buy into selling of all the young upcoming talent for stars.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:50 am
Superbone wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 pm
Nodack wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 pm
That was a real ass kicking by OKC. Totally outclassed the Suns. Winning every other game is going to put them in danger of not even going to the playoffs. I did watch the game. The refs did make some pretty bad calls. Not enough to change this outcome though.
OKC played a fantastic game. They didn’t need any extra help. I just wish they would have called it evenly.
And we didn't. There is zero excuse to get blown out by 20 with their best player missing. We have a more talented roster. Our leaders aren't leading and our coach continues to just let the players play. No adjustments, no scheme changes, no ripping in to KD for making his 500th bounce pass turnover. There was no resistance in trying to stop dribble penetration. OKC got whatever they wanted all game and the Suns flat out quit in the second half
I agree. We couldn't even hang with them. It got worse and worse every quarter. This isn't a very good Suns team.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"I don't think so. You have to ask him, but I'm not getting any reports that it has anything to do with the ankle."

Frank Vogel when asked about the way Devin Booker is shooting since returning from the ankle injury.

Booker 18-of-64 from 3 in last 10 games since return. #Suns

He then went on to say, "I think it's that girlfriend thing, to be honest."
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wonder if Devin regrets the moves made. He seemed a lot happier with the other group, better vibes and guys who felt more in sync with him. Could be a "you don't know someone til you live with them" kinda thing with KD. Fun to workout with him in the offseason and play on Team USA, not as much fun playing a full NBA season with him? And I think he was much more connected to Monty and just doesn't have any faith in or connection with Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:59 am
I wonder if Devin regrets the moves made. He seemed a lot happier with the other group, better vibes and guys who felt more in sync with him. Could be a "you don't know someone til you live with them" kinda thing with KD. Fun to workout with him in the offseason and play on Team USA, not as much fun playing a full NBA season with him? And I think he was much more connected to Monty and just doesn't have any faith in or connection with Vogel.
I would think there would have to be a lot of truth in that. There is a lack of joy with this team that the last team had in spades.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The chemistry isn’t happening. Time is running out. Can our hero’s make a comeback and take the league by surprise in the playoffs or do they fade away into the Sunset?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:08 am
The chemistry isn’t happening. Time is running out. Can our hero’s make a comeback and take the league by surprise in the playoffs or do they fade away into the Sunset?
I really, really don't think we're going to be surprised. They are what we now know them to be!
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Yup. An uninspired disconnected group of individuals without a leader

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Yup.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I don't get the apathy from the "stars" man, I definitely have lowered my opinion of Booker and KD after this run.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Grant Nelson or Tyler Kolek.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

As others have said, they're great players but they're not leaders. I do think they both show dedication, work hard, and lead by example. But they aren't a vocal leader, somebody who talks to their teammates and guides them through a tough game or series.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Book has it in him and I think this season will be another learning experience for him where he'll look back and say he should've stood and spoken up. I do think there's hesitancy or intimidation or whatever you want to call it with him and KD and Beal. Maybe none of them want to step on each other's toes but someone needs to do it.

KD's "hopefully we make the playoffs" is exactly why he can't lead a team and someone like Barkley says he isn't a leader. He either doesn't want to or doesn't know how to stand up and say "WE'RE MAKING THE PLAYOFFS". He's got the resume, he's got the talent to where he should be doing it. But it's not in his DNA. He wants to show up and be led. And when things aren't going well, he mopes and acts disinterested like it's not his responsibility.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:59 pm
I think Book has it in him and I think this season will be another learning experience for him where he'll look back and say he should've stood and spoken up. I do think there's hesitancy or intimidation or whatever you want to call it with him and KD and Beal. Maybe none of them want to step on each other's toes but someone needs to do it.

KD's "hopefully we make the playoffs" is exactly why he can't lead a team and someone like Barkley says he isn't a leader. He either doesn't want to or doesn't know how to stand up and say "WE'RE MAKING THE PLAYOFFS". He's got the resume, he's got the talent to where he should be doing it. But it's not in his DNA. He wants to show up and be led. And when things aren't going well, he mopes and acts disinterested like it's not his responsibility.
Nailed it. Barkley was the type. KD is not. Book needs to become that. It’s time for him to step up. He is in his prime.
"Be Legendary."