Suns News: Week 24 (4/1 - 4/7)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Suns News: Week 24 (4/1 - 4/7)

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:23 am
Cap wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:21 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:11 am
I feel like Isiah Thomas as Suns GM is almost inevitable. I am mentally preparing myself so I don't up and quit as a Suns fan.
At least we don’t have to worry about him making crappy draft picks… because we’ll never have any.
Way to look on the bright side. :P
Don't see how a guy who dreams of having the best franchise in the NBA would want to hire that doofus.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Grant Nelson or Tyler Kolek.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

After years of having a guy that tried to win, but only if he could make money, it's nice to have a guy that just wants to win...period.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:46 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:23 am
Cap wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:21 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:11 am
I feel like Isiah Thomas as Suns GM is almost inevitable. I am mentally preparing myself so I don't up and quit as a Suns fan.
At least we don’t have to worry about him making crappy draft picks… because we’ll never have any.
Way to look on the bright side. :P
Don't see how a guy who dreams of having the best franchise in the NBA would want to hire that doofus.
Apparently he doesn't see it like the rest of the world. Thomas is his buddy. Ish is too close to him.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:20 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:19 am
If his jackassness is pointed in a productive direction to the Suns winning a title(s), then I could care less. Unless he is blatantly doing things like sexual harrassment, making racist remarks, or treating people in the organization unfairly which negatively affects the Suns, then I'm going to dismiss it for the most part. If he's dropping F bombs when he wins a title, or has them directed at our rivals, good. Competitiveness shouldn't be underrated.
Totally agree. This is apples and oranges compared to Sarver. Ishbia is a super competitive guy. We are lucky to have him. I mean, I'm sure he's not a perfect angel. Here who is? He's a ruthless business man. That's how you get to the top.
I don't mind the competitiveness or the language. I worry about him being a headstrong new owner thinking he can throw his money around to buy a title - because it doesn't work like that. I worry about him not knowing what he doesn't know and being taken advantage of by manipulative opportunists looking to run a basketball team.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Isiah did draft well

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Average at best. Stoudamire and Camby were no brainer high picks for the Raps. He drafted Ariza and traded him for Steve Francis to put in the backcourt with Marbury. His scouts told him to draft David Lee but he tried to draft Chris Taft at the last minute, drafted Renaldo Balkman and Mardy Collins. His roster composition in NY was horrible, bad trades and worse FA contracts that took Donnie Walsh 2 years to clean up once he got there. He stacked the Knicks FO with friends and former teammates with no structure in the scouting/personnel department. Donnie had to ban him from the training facility and make him a West Coast scout to try and keep him away from the team because Dolan wouldn't let Donnie fire him outright.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hmm, thought it was better, but guess most of it was in Toronto. He also drafted Tracy McGrady

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:13 pm
Average at best. Stoudamire and Camby were no brainer high picks for the Raps. He drafted Ariza and traded him for Steve Francis to put in the backcourt with Marbury. His scouts told him to draft David Lee but he tried to draft Chris Taft at the last minute, drafted Renaldo Balkman and Mardy Collins. His roster composition in NY was horrible, bad trades and worse FA contracts that took Donnie Walsh 2 years to clean up once he got there. He stacked the Knicks FO with friends and former teammates with no structure in the scouting/personnel department. Donnie had to ban him from the training facility and make him a West Coast scout to try and keep him away from the team because Dolan wouldn't let Donnie fire him outright.
Sounds like good fun was had by all.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:21 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
If his jackassness is pointed in a productive direction to the Suns winning a title(s), then I could care less. Unless he is blatantly doing things like sexual harrassment, making racist remarks, or treating people in the organization unfairly which negatively affects the Suns, then I'm going to dismiss it for the most part. If he's dropping F bombs when he wins a title, or has them directed at our rivals, good. Competitiveness shouldn't be underrated.
Totally agree. This is apples and oranges compared to Sarver. Ishbia is a super competitive guy. We are lucky to have him. I mean, I'm sure he's not a perfect angel. Here who is? He's a ruthless business man. That's how you get to the top.
I don't mind the competitiveness or the language. I worry about him being a headstrong new owner thinking he can throw his money around to buy a title - because it doesn't work like that. I worry about him not knowing what he doesn't know and being taken advantage of by manipulative opportunists looking to run a basketball team.
I agree that's a concern. Sarver thought he knew what needed to be done too. The quick Durant trade with no concern about the overpay and gutting our championship team is on Mat. Not looking particularly good right now.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:35 pm
ShelC wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:21 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I agree that's a concern. Sarver thought he knew what needed to be done too. The quick Durant trade with no concern about the overpay and gutting our championship team is on Mat. Not looking particularly good right now.
I didn't like the gutting of the team, but really had a lot to do with CP3 getting old, imo. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but if Jones just drafted Haliburton instead of Smith, it wouldn't have deteriorated this quickly, again imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:33 pm
ShelC wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:13 pm
Sounds like good fun was had by all.
That's still only like half of it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They can have the brilliant architect of our offense, Kevin Young, if they want him.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:01 am
They can have the brilliant architect of our offense, Kevin Young, if they want him.
Take my wife, please.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Durant will likely become the 5th player in franchise history to score 2000 points in a season…I checked to see if there was a chance he could set the single season suns record, but he’ll fall short of at least 1 guy. Can you name the 4 other guys to score 2000? One did it twice.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:35 am
Durant will likely become the 5th player in franchise history to score 2000 points in a season…I checked to see if there was a chance he could set the single season suns record, but he’ll fall short of at least 1 guy. Can you name the 4 other guys to score 2000? One did it twice.
Off the top of my head, possible names that come to mind: Barkley, Westphal, Davis, Book, Amare.
► Show Spoiler
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:41 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:35 am
Off the top of my head, possible names that come to mind: Barkley, Westphal, Davis, Book, Amare.
► Show Spoiler

Ya I was curious if Book had done it, but he hasn’t played enough games when he’s been at his best scoring wise. Didn’t help that he lost 10 games in back to back seasons with the pandemic.

For those wondering, the 4 to do it are Chambers(record holder at 2201 and only one to do it twice), Amare, Charlie Scott, and Paul Westphal.

At his current scoring rate and if he plays all 6 remaining games, KD will finish at 2064 which puts him 4th all time behind both Chambers seasons and Amare in 04-05. If KD can average 31.2 over the final 6 he can snag 2nd place all time at 2086. He’d need to average 50.3 to catch Chambers.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Book would’ve made it in 2019-2020 if he had those 10 extra games. He was on pace for over 2100