"It's a soap opera for men" / People being fans of players not teams / Ring culture / What the hell happened to the NBA?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Charlie Smithy!

"It's a soap opera for men" / People being fans of players not teams / Ring culture / What the hell happened to the NBA?

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

So, I'm really not trying to come off as someone opposed to change just for the sake of change, but I kind of feel like the NBA I grew up watching in the early 90s is somewhat unrecognizable to me at this point, and on more than a few fronts.

Annnnnd would just like y'all's thoughts on why these changes occurred, and maybe just to see if (or how far lol) I'm off base.

Cuz at least least online, when I have ventured into social media in the form of Reddit and the artist formerly known as twitter, I feel like I see evidence that validates the take that most NBA fans don't actually watch the games. I've also seen that extrapolated out to that most NBA fans don't even like basketball, which I assume that's some sort of exaggeration?

And I know that it has really hit me in a weird place, especially, when I have read takes online that have said that the NBA is the soap opera for men, and that it is turning into something akin to the WWE.

Also, and I'm guessing this is a legitimate Trend that I just didn't notice until way late in the game, but I also can't identify with the people out there that are more fans of the players instead of teams. Is this at least somewhat of a function of the player empowerment era, along with how much movement there is in the league?

So yeah, I would just appreciate any thoughts or context as to how we got here, why, and how much of this change was inevitable or perhaps just exaggerated from, and by, online discourse.

rhylek

Re: "It's a soap opera for men" / People being fans of players not teams / Ring culture / What the hell happened to the

Post by rhylek »

Well, in the past there was that guy, the village idiot, who has an opinion on everything.
And of course, you knew that and you just said whatever, it's just him.
But now, all the village idiots from the world gather on social media, and they are the most active.
There's also all the trolls. And don't forget all those who use it as a catharsis and use it to discharge their hatred.
More sad is that some of these people get a job on classic media.

Then there's the basketball thing... The disparity with refs, even in the same game, them acting like divas, some clearly trying to fix the outcome of the game.

I stay away from social media and being European, I'm not exposed to shit like Stephen A Smith.
I really hate the way the game is officiated and that the NBA does nada.

I have to admit I enjoyed the game more before the "efficient era". I liked the more physical game.
Because it was more physical there was no flopping, no abuse of the rules (foul baiting etc) . It was kind of simpler.
And more variety. I know it's not totally true but I get the feeling that players stand at the 3pts line and just pass around. Way less inside game. Top 10 play is just a pity in comparison to the 90s or the 2ks

---- Edited because it was 2AM for me and didn't notice auto-correct ate some words lol
Last edited by rhylek on Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

Superbone

Re: "It's a soap opera for men" / People being fans of players not teams / Ring culture / What the hell happened to the

Post by Superbone »

rhylek wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:06 pm
I stay away from social media and being European, I'm not exposed to shit like Stephen A Smith.
Luckily, he is not required viewing in the US either. :P
"Be Legendary."